Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one 30, 30k something miles on it.

First thing ill fit is a DashCam (is a wired in Camera considered tampering / damaging the vehicle as per finance company?
Any suggestion on updating the incar NAV?

Other website where i can find more incar navigation mods?

Other favorite bits you added to yours?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Welcome to the club Bruno.
Check out my signature for mine. I don't see how dashcam's can be considered tampering, even with the pickiest of finance companies. Insurance companies love them, but only the ones with built-in GPS. That eliminates 99% of dashcams on the market! The difference built-in GPS makes is it records your speed and other details ones without GPS cannot record. Mind you, not a lot of good if you have a heavy right foot.
Link here Dashcam advice and fitting.
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
438 Posts
The general consensus here is leave the inbuilt sat-nav alone. The issue is the head unit (which I have been told is a simple Clarion unit using a heavily modified version of Windows CE operating system) is not just a sat-nav, it is tightly integrated into the vehicle control systems. It is integrated with the charging and battery system, the climate control, TPMS system for tyres and God only knows what else.

I have replaced many head units on several of my cars and I balked at this one, although I am an electronics professional (retired).
If you are a fiddler like me my advice is do what I have done and set up a cheapie Android phablet above the existing unit. see here:Replacing Head Unit + OVMS

and here: Mods done to my Leaf so far...

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Very helpful guide. I know a bit of computers but not so much electronics . My camera does have GPS so should be good.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bruno-

Be very, very careful with map updates. I had a s part of my purchase agreement a new sat-nav card. It took 6 months before I finally got one.
There are three different versions just for my particular vehicle, depending on the build date. My vehicle was built on the cusp of a changeover, and the Nissan dealer got it wrong twice, and ordered the wrong card.
In the end, the differences were just not worth it anyway as the new one is almost as out of date as the original. Even Nissan in Amsterdam which is where they do the maps got it wrong twice.

I use Sygic or the Tom-tom apps on my tablet to reinforce the routes I use and make sure the Nissan one is right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts