Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

At the risk of being ushered off the forum, I am looking for a bit of advice on the best non Plugin Hybrid?

We have had our Leaf for 3 months and done an average of 2000 miles per month (on a 10k mile lease...oops!) and as a business user I am finding that my driving pattern has changed dramatically. When we ordered the Leaf, I never expected to spend so much time on the road.

I am looking to buy a 2nd vehicle for use on those longer journeys that are time critical. Now I have already looked at the Outlander PHEV but as this will mainly be used on longer journeys it just doesn't make sense.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
As an EVangelist...you should be setting an example and using a fuel efficient PHEV (Ampera or i3Rex depending on typical journey).

Otherwise the whole hybrid market is open to you and there are quite a few to choose from I believe. Toyota and Lexus spring to mind....

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If your second car is mainly for long journeys an efficient diesel will probably be more economical than a hybrid. The latter will however cost less in tax as a company car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have an Ampera tomorrow, however the 5th seat is critical for me.

I have a test drive booked for the Infiniti Q50H, Lexus NX300H and will be looking to test drive some overs.

@smartie that is what I believe as from what I have seen of the Petrol Hybrids they are perfect for mostly shorter runs with the occasional long run, a Diesel PHEV I suppose would be perfect, but don't see a manufacturer going this route.... partly as Petrol is a cleaner fuel, but I would also imagine if you introduce a Diesel PHEV, you have just wiped out any chance of selling a full Diesel again.

·
Super Moderator
7,594 Posts
CT200h is nice, but the prius is slightly more practical, and more economical, and cheaper to buy. Both are a little below the fun line in terms of power. The IS300h and NX300h have a bit more power, but are into £30k territory.

For ultimate low price the Yaris hybrid is only £16,195 and 87.4MPG on the NEDC.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If cost is king hard to beat an Auris Hybrid. If you want something plusher C-Class or E-Class Hybrid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love Volvo's and would love a V60 but they have just out priced themselves with the V60 PHEV.

On Contract Hire for an extra £50 p/m I could have a Model S60.
This is exactly what I concluded after my test of one. Effectively, they're too expensive to be considered by a thinking individual, but as a company car, their tax ratings make the V60 much more appealing. However, I found economy wasn't exactly what you'd call great and the official MPG (eMPG) is not real world at all. Upon gentle acceleration, I frequently saw the live mpg gauge dipping into sub 20 after the electric range had run dry… overall mpg was far higher, but nowhere near as good as had been hoped for and the diesel was noisy to a fault which was a shame, especially as the V60 was otherwise silent.

Have a read of our new mag for the full feature: https://speakev.com/threads/new-autovolt-magazine.4794/

The hybrid debate will be long lived, but concerning the Outlander PHEV, Mitsubishi themselves state that if you do more than a 106 mile journey, you're better off with the diesel Outlander. In reality this is true for most cars, but if you do less than 106 mile journeys on a daily basis (like me and most other people on the road) then a hybrid is better as the 1% to 10% of the time you do a journey longer than 100 miles won't offset the benefit gained by a hybrid the rest of the time.

Buy our magazine! (shameless plug…)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jonathan, Already subscribed to the digital copy and will be ordering the hardback this week to go with our other 2 editions.

I am averaging 500 miles per week at the moment and this looks set to increase in the coming months.

Looked at the Citroen briefly and the Peugeot 508 RXH which I think is a really good looking estate car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Might be worth you holding out a little longer and waiting for the Passat and Mondeo hybrids, both out in 2015 sometime. They will likely both be petrol hybrids, but perhaps their pricing will follow Mitsubishi's lead and price it as the same/similar to the diesel, making for a better choice (one can only hope).

Hybrids may have technically been around a while (over 100 years in fact) but they're only just getting decent competition to drive prices down from each of the various world manufacturers making them; pretty well everybody. 2015 is set to be an interesting year indeed and there are tonnes of announcements/releases you may wish to hold fire before deciding, especially if you're already a little unsure.

EDIT: just to correct myself there, the VW will be interesting to see its price, but Ford have already published its figure: £24,995 for their hybrid (non plug-in)…

·
Registered
538 Posts
TBH if it's now as I see it you can go Lexus IS or Toyota (Yaris / Prius) I guess it has to be hybrid for the company image?? If not then one of the VW Audi 1.6 or 2.0 TDI units really give great 'real world' mpg figures in my experience.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
For your mileage, I'd be inclined to go for a diesel hybrid, so the Citroen and Peugeot would be worth a look. I'd also think about the Honda Insight because it looks like an eco car and would make a statement.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
At 500 miles per week, just get a diesel. It pains me to say it, but you could pick up a mondeo/insignia for 10-12k that will munch those miles and give you real world mpg in the 50's, and probably 60's with a gentle right foot.

I think a hybrid is a hard sell in comparison. Unless you just bite the bullet and get the Model S .....

·
Super Moderator
7,594 Posts
I ended up going for an IS300h, shock horror!!!, but anyway it's a lovely car and I'm getting a reported 55mpg toddling around town and on A roads. Wouldn't mind trying an i3 in a few years.
I think the 300h is the drivetrain to go for at the moment, the 200h/prius is a bit lacking, and the 450h dips a bit too low in economy.

Reactions: Ed Straker's Car

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our second car is a Toyota Yaris Hybrid, T-Spirit model. Well specced and reasonably comfortable on long journeys. Has all the toys I need, sat nav, bluetooth, parking camera, cruise control, glass roof to name a few. I often clock up 400 miles a day in the hybrid and it copes with motorway driving well. If driven sensibly it can achieve 70mpg.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Real-world MPG: estates that beat 55mpg - What Car?
Auris Touring Sport I've driven , best compromise for non plug in hybrid & 5 seats & luggage room ,

as mentioned on this what -car link , oil burners , Octavia estate etc are frugal if you aren't fussed about the exhaust .
one mentioned here I'd forget was the Peugeot 508 SW Diesel Hybrid

1 - 20 of 28 Posts