Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Seriously considering going down the Amperage route and interested to know if many people are leasing their cars?? I have had a quote from Lookers on a new one but as they seem depreciate rapidly after one year I'm thinking of leasing.Would love to know what kind of deals you folk have got and from where......

Thanks all

Damien

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought mine outright Damien, so I know this isn't an answer, just wondered how long you're envisaging keeping the car..if depreciation is an issue?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Damien. Welcome to the forum.

I bought mine outright too.

They do depreciate quite a bit in the first year but I suspect that this situation may change in later years. Once people realise they can get a secondhand one for a sensible price whilst still having the same financial benefits as a new one so I reckon that the values will then start to recover. For me it came down to how long I expected to keep the car. If I expected to sell inside 3-4 years then leasing might be better. If keeping it longer than that then I suspect that a 5 years old Ampera will have a better depreciation so buying might be better.

Of course... I have no idea really. It is just a guess :) So we did what we felt was most likely for us and that is to keep for about 5 years minimum as that is what we have done with cars previously.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Damien,

I'm afraid the people who write the leases are a cautious bunch and therefore as Paul says if you plan to keep the car for a longish period you might as well take the residual risk as I can't imagine the reality will be as bad as I suspect the leasing guys are working into their calculations.

On top of that if you are considering a personal lease there's the dreaded VAT to factor in as well. That, however, can be less of a problem if it's going to be a company funded lease

Big Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would love to lease through my Ltd company but could not justify the limited use that "the company" would have on the car!!

So option seems for me to be either second hand outright purchase or a new one on HP.

I spend about £300 a month on the car that i am replacing so this softens the blow considerably!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry the cost of £300 was fuel!!! + £460 a year Tax..............£600 a year Insurance...........

and so the costs build!!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,499 Posts
I received a quote for leasing and it turned out that after 3 years I would have repaid the list price before any EV grant and had a limitation of 10k miles p.a. so decided to buy.

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
If you have a limited company do talk to your accountant because you can claim 100% writing down allowance in year 1 and the BIK is very low, at least for the next few years

1 - 9 of 9 Posts