Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
The ID.4 is only about 320mm longer than the ID.3. The perspective in that photo does make it look huge in comparsion.

·
Graphite Grey would be my pick
57 Posts
I love this car so much. I just preferred it to any other EV. To me, it is a very handsome car so much so I am even thinking about my next one in the future. VW ID3 R. obviously I am going to enjoy this for a while yet.
apart from one minor issue of the Main beam headlights flashing erratically when I engage the left indicator(booked in with my software update). Aso decided to not turn left for the time being!
Merry Xmas all fellow VWID3 drivers🎄🎄

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love this car so much. I just preferred it to any other EV. To me, it is a very handsome car so much so I am even thinking about my next one in the future. VW ID3 R. obviously I am going to enjoy this for a while yet.
apart from one minor issue of the Main beam headlights flashing erratically when I engage the left indicator(booked in with my software update). Aso decided to not turn left for the time being!
Merry Xmas all fellow VWID3 drivers🎄🎄
View attachment 138890
I'm interested how they get 'R' like handling from such a heavy car...

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,684 Posts
I'm interested how they get 'R' like handling from such a heavy car...
Well, it doesn't exist yet!

As for weight, the Golf 8 is getting quite porky and I'm guessing the R would be over 1,465 kg. The ID.3 is 1,600 kg so not a massive difference.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A wheel right in each corner, a low centre of gravity and decent weight distribution will go a long way.

How much do modern 911s weigh? I used to have a 964 and that was hardly light but still handled well enough for its generation and weight distribution.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, it doesn't exist yet!

As for weight, the Golf 8 is getting quite porky and I'm guessing the R would be over 1,465 kg. The ID.3 is 1,600 kg so not a massive difference.
Yeah I'm aware it doesn't exist yet chap.
Having an ID3, which is a bit of a tall heavy boaty lump, I'm wondering how you turn that into an agile sports machine.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,645 Posts
Yeah I'm aware it doesn't exist yet chap.
Having an ID3, which is a bit of a tall heavy boaty lump, I'm wondering how you turn that into an agile sports machine.
Very few road cars are ‘sports machines’ really, even the Golf R feels like a bag of wool in standard form on a track, and it’s brakes get pushed to the limits as well.

They’re more like grand tourers, good for covering distance quickly, in comfort and quite fun to hustle along.

Can an electric car handle? I’d say Tesla have done pretty well with the M3 Performance, not that I’ve driven one, but it is well received by reviewers.

Weight is the perceived enemy of a performance car, but a Porsche GT3 RS is still getting on for 1500kg. The Taycan is well over 2000kg, but again gets rave reviews for its performance and handling.

It will be interesting to see what VW along with manufacturers like Renault do with performance EVs down the line, both have a history of building entertaining hot hatches.

It’s about time EVs moved on from just being able to headbutt the horizon as a means of entertainment.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The biggest issue with electric cars and "performance" would be the low rolling resistance tyres. They are going to give up very quickly when you're trying to eek R style performance out of them.

Like anything else it'll be a balancing act between efficiency, handling and power but maybe by that point batteries will charge much quicker and go much further negating the need for ev spec tyres!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts