Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a base model Etron 55 quarto fitted with 255/50 R20 Bridgestone Alenza tyres. The car lease includes replacement tyres but choice is limited as they have to be stocked by Kwik Fit and although they can be from a premium brand, they can only be from the 'mid price range'.

Tyres won't be due for replacement for a few months yet, but does anyone have a recommendation for replacement kwik-fit tyres of this size that might be within the acceptable mid range budget required by the lease firm?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately not. I’m told that I can choose Bridgestone tyres but not from their premium range ........which I’m told these original ones are.

The reason I ask the question of best replacement is that I see quite a few posts describing which tyres supposedly give the best EV range etc. As the etron model has been in production for some time I thought that others may have already had to have replacement tyres.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
841 Posts
All tyres should have a label that rates them on fuel efficiency, wet braking, and noise. The efficiency rating should apply equally between ICE and BEV.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You know that that EU label is a load of rubbish?
They are set by the manufacturers by lab testing and means nothing.
The conditions for the rating are very basic and nothing to do with real life.

I've been using Michelin for donkey years and won't change. Had Dunlop on my Leaf, the ones the car come with when delivered and after 5k miles I had to change them because there was no grip.
You can get CrossClimate for around £120 but they will last far longer than cheaper tyres, so buying cheap is a false economy.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,086 Posts
Any replacement tyre has to meet all the requirements including load and speed rating. Cheaper ones won't last as well as the OEM so they're often a false economy anyway.

I'd be hassling the lease company and asking why they are refusing to fit the OEM tyre. This is the issue with leasing They think they can put any old shite on the car and folk will accept it.

Check the owner handbook. It might have specific restrictions that might exclude any of the non OEM tyres anyway.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Most leasing companies have deals with suppliers and want to stick with it as much as they can.
I remember a company car I had that the deal was with a supplier for a specific tyre and the discount was huge because all the cars were fitted with them.
The legal obligation is with size, speed rate and load. Brand of tyre and model is not a legal requirement.
Being a leased car nothing says that you can't change tyres every 10k miles or less.
There is a safety requirement that needs to be met and you can hold them against it. Once you feel the tyres aren't safe you can ask for replacement regardless of the thread being legal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not concerned about durability/wear as the lease firm will happily replace but only when tread depth reaches 2mm. I just want good efficiency. I guess ‘Which’ reports don’t yet cover this?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I personally don't trust which for these kind of reviews.
It will depend on what you have as choice and get the best from them.
The lease company can argue that the 2mm policy but they can't refuse an unsafe tyre regardless the depth. As I said, my Dunlop were replaced with more than 4mm thread.
But you're assuming that Kiwk fit will have plenty of choice. Do you already know what are your choices?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The lease company can argue that the 2mm policy but they can't refuse an unsafe tyre regardless the depth. As I said, my Dunlop were replaced with more than 4mm thread.
But you're assuming that Kiwk fit will have plenty of choice. Do you already know what are your choices?
Out of interest - on what grounds did they replace at 4mm? Was there some other damage? There's no way that my leasing company will replace a tyre unless it's worn to <2mm or damaged. If I "feel" it's unsafe they really aren't interested - and I can see why.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a base model Etron 55 quarto fitted with 255/50 R20 Bridgestone Alenza tyres. The car lease includes replacement tyres but choice is limited as they have to be stocked by Kwik Fit and although they can be from a premium brand, they can only be from the 'mid price range'.

Tyres won't be due for replacement for a few months yet, but does anyone have a recommendation for replacement kwik-fit tyres of this size that might be within the acceptable mid range budget required by the lease firm?
Can't help directly as I have the launch edition with even sillier 21" wheels - however, what sort of tyre wear are you seeing? I've done about 19,000 mostly motorway / fast A road miles and the rears are at 3.5mm, fronts at 4.5mm. Wear is even and they seem to be holding up at least as well as I could expect given the outrageous weight.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Out of interest - on what grounds did they replace at 4mm? Was there some other damage? There's no way that my leasing company will replace a tyre unless it's worn to <2mm or damaged. If I "feel" it's unsafe they really aren't interested - and I can see why.
At 5k miles the grip was gone. Low quality tyres don't like longer periods of stress. My 50 miles each way commute heats up the tyres too much and they become hardened, this results on the rubber loosing grip.

·
Registered
408 Posts
At 5k miles the grip was gone. Low quality tyres don't like longer periods of stress. My 50 miles each way commute heats up the tyres too much and they become hardened, this results on the rubber loosing grip.
Good that they replaced them. I would have a fight on my hands if I tried this with my leasing company (reputable national group) - would need the tyre dealer to report them as unsafe before they would change them for sure.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Good that they replaced them. I would have a fight on my hands if I tried this with my leasing company (reputable national group) - would need the tyre dealer to report them as unsafe before they would change them for sure.
My car is not a lease :)
Had to spend the dosh on the tyres, fortunately there was a numpty that bought the old ones ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts