Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i get some suggestions for the best phone holder for a Leaf ?

Windscreen mounted, on the dash, or on heater vents ?

Weirdly, my 1st gen 24kw generally refuses to charge a phone in the car - either from the 12v outlet (! WTF?) or the USB. So, position relative to the power connection is moot...

Suggestions welcome :)

·
Registered
67:30 Black
58 Posts
I've got a Sonru wireless charger which is suckered to the glass. Works pretty well. Not that you can power it though. But the position is good.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I've never had much luck with dash or vent phone mounts, especially on a phone as heavy as an iPhone 11.

Here is my cheap and cheerful mount:

Unlike previous mounts of mine which were suction cup only this one has a an extremely sticky suction cup, so doesn't fall off when the glass gets cold on cold mornings. (Although it does make it a challenge to get it off again if you haven't got it positioned right)

I bought a couple of different mounts and this was the one I preferred in the Leaf. The other one ended up going in my other car as it better suited the window distance and shape of the dash in that car. As both have sticky suction cups its not feasible to move one between cars as I used to do with regular suction cups on my old mount.

BTW no problems charging my iPhone 11 from the normal USB socket in my Leaf 30, which also works for music playback. It only charges slowly (500mA) though which is enough to keep GPS from discharging the battery but not really enough to charge the phone up quickly.

And I can't see any reason why you couldn't charge any phone from the cigar lighter socket as long as you use the right charger - unless the socket is completely dead. I have a cigar lighter socket USB charger fitted as well which my other half uses to charge her phone while mine is charging and navigating....

·
Registered
439 Posts
Can i get some suggestions for the best phone holder for a Leaf ?

Windscreen mounted, on the dash, or on heater vents ?

Weirdly, my 1st gen 24kw generally refuses to charge a phone in the car - either from the 12v outlet (! WTF?) or the USB. So, position relative to the power connection is moot...

Suggestions welcome :)
Does the ciggie socket work with other stuff? If not check the fuses. The USB will not power anything, it is simply a passive receiver with very low current flows.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Does the ciggie socket work with other stuff? If not check the fuses. The USB will not power anything, it is simply a passive receiver with very low current flows.
The USB socket to the radio definitely does power devices. It charges my iPhone 11 albeit slowly. It will be a standard 500mA whereas most phone chargers these days are 1 - 2 amps. It's enough to keep the battery slowly going up in charge while GPS is in use instead of discharging.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The USB socket to the radio definitely does power devices. It charges my iPhone 11 albeit slowly. It will be a standard 500mA whereas most phone chargers these days are 1 - 2 amps. It's enough to keep the battery slowly going up in charge while GPS is in use instead of discharging.
I guess we are all so used to quick chargers with 3 or more amps, anything less is just...... meh!

Reactions: arkranium

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I guess we are all so used to quick chargers with 3 or more amps, anything less is just...... meh!
Yep. 500mA feels really slow charging an iPhone let alone an iPad. Even the small dinky triangle shaped standard iPhone chargers are 1 amp, with iPad chargers being 2.4 amps. (And modern iPhones capable of utilising that)

Like I say, it's enough to actually increase the charge while running a GPS app, but fairly slowly. I'll gain about 10% charge on my 17 mile morning commute with the GPS running, or about 20% without the GPS running, so it's better than nothing. :) I use the radio USB socket instead of a faster 3rd party one as I make use of the iPod Audio link instead of Bluetooth.

The charger I have in the cigar lighter socket for other devices does 1 amp, however I really need to get a 2 amp one like I have in the other car as 1 amp is still somewhat slow...

·
Registered
972 Posts
I use my GoPro suction cup with a phone holder from eBay that uses the GoPro mounting system. Never fallen off but I guess it is designed to stick onto cars at crazy speed, lol. I have also added four USB sockets.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies - some very useful advice and options.

I think it's perhaps the slow rate of the USB connection charging that has confused me - though my wife assures me that it only works some times, and not everytime. We've both got the old iPhone SE; not big, heavy, or thirsty for electrons. 500mA charging is perhaps a bit too slow.

I know that the 12V outlet works (have used it for a tyre pump), though have only used 'freebie' plugin chargers acquired at life sciences conferences or trade shows... Yes, i am a total cheapskate. Since, i've tried a few different ones and none worked reliably, i gave up: it may reflect the poor quality of freebies.

I particularly like the possibility of sticking a phone cradle on the daft quarterlight window - at last, it might have a useful function...

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I particularly like the possibility of sticking a phone cradle on the daft quarterlight window - at last, it might have a useful function...
I tried both of mine on the quarter light window and couldn't find a position/angle adjustment that worked very well so while I'm sure some mounts will work off that window it might be a crap shoot to find one that works well there.

The big black hump taking up part of that window really gets in the way.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Personally I find the door pillar size inherently dangerous. I'm surprised that Nissan managed to get away with it at the approvals stage. It is particularly bad when navigating the narrow Dorset country lanes with lots of right hand bends.

EDIT-Yes all right there are a similar amount of left hand bends-I'm not that senile yet to just go round in circles. :p

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try Brodit
Custom made to fit the leaf dashboard, you then but the correct holder for your phone and attach the two bits together

1 - 15 of 15 Posts