Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everyone, ive had my ZS EV for a couple of weeks now and have just made the discovery that i need to buy my own Type 2 to Type 2 cable to use some public chargers. Can anyone recommend a place to order one of these cables as ive never heard of any of the websites im seeing selling these wires. Cheers

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Type 2 cable EV Onestop

EV Cables

Or just google for EV Cables.

Plenty about, get a 7kW one for an MG. Length, out and about 5m is enough normally.
I have one from EV Onestop which is an old type 1, I have an Ampera, works fine.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I posted my answer to this in another thread, see here: charger advice

·
Registered
33 Posts
OOI why are there no rapid charger extension leads available? E-Golfs have their charging port on the wrong side, and rapid chargers seem to have ridiculously small leads. Every time I need to rapid charge on the high street it involves driving back round and holding up traffic whilst trying to briefly drive on the wrong side of the road the the charger.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Amazon have them on Prime.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Cheers, apologies if this is a dumb question but do i need a 3 phase one or is a normal one fine?
I believe the mg has a single phase charger.

OOI why are there no rapid charger extension leads available? E-Golfs have their charging port on the wrong side, and rapid chargers seem to have ridiculously small leads. Every time I need to rapid charge on the high street it involves driving back round and holding up traffic whilst trying to briefly drive on the wrong side of the road the the charger.
The current carried by a rapid (200 plus amps) would make constructing an extension very difficult and expensive. The cable itself never mind the plug and socket would be very heavy and nearly unmanagable. It seems though some of the newer rapids are getting longer cables, sometimes supported with an overhead gantry, see some of Bjorn's videos

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I believe the mg has a single phase charger.

The current carried by a rapid (200 plus amps) would make constructing an extension very difficult and expensive. The cable itself never mind the plug and socket would be very heavy and nearly unmanagable. It seems though some of the newer rapids are getting longer cables, sometimes supported with an overhead gantry, see some of Bjorn's videos
Also, I believe (hope!) that rapid connectors have internal temperature sensing to detect faults - this could not be extended to the connector on the other end of an extension. Higher powered chargers also have internal liquid cooling through the cable,

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
OOI why are there no rapid charger extension leads available?...
as Mike said immed above, but this question also applies to the low-power domestic 13A & 3.3/7 kW EVSEs. Suppose you made an extension cable? There's nothing to tell the EVSE that it's only rated 6A, plug your 10A granny in, and 10 mins later, everything's on fire. Similarly a 50A extension plugged into a Rapid supplying your car at 150A will very soon burn & cause horrendous problems. So extensions are not allowed.

Adapters like the Tesla CCS->Tesla_S one are just about ok, as the mfr knows all about all those bits in this particular case. But what if they're only rated 150A, and T upgrade their SCs to 250A suddenly? Tesla would have to think carefully & be sure no-one tried sticking one of these in a 250A Model 3 for example! What if someone gets their Tesla S upgraded from 150A to 250A charging somehow, and used the 150A adapter on it? Silly thing to do, but someone, somewhere, will do it if it's humanly possible!!

That's why the portable detachable Type-2 cables have a built-in resistor on a special wire, so the EVSE can check the rating before supplying current. But it can't check extensions plugged in further down the line.

Reactions: Spiny

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Evening everyone, ive had my ZS EV for a couple of weeks now and have just made the discovery that i need to buy my own Type 2 to Type 2 cable to use some public chargers. Can anyone recommend a place to order one of these cables as ive never heard of any of the websites im seeing selling these wires. Cheers
Back to Original query, EVBitz will sell you a type 2 to type 2 (custom length if required) complete with high quality connectors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts