Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have 90% decided that we will be going ahead with the MG after our test drive last week. Thought it might be worth shopping around - it's the same car, after all! From what we've seen of their PCP, it's probably better for us to get a personal loan out, so are looking at cash prices.

Our local dealer won't budge on the price (yet!), so, for the Exclusive we are looking at £23,995. No extras such as mats or cables.

What sort of prices/extras have other people manage to haggle with theirs?

·
Registered
930 Posts
With people queuing to buy, changes of getting a discount are slim, unless they have a few cancelled orders they can't shift. Your dealer can simply tell you to get lost as there are others behind you waiting to buy. This is a new experience for many dealers who are used to haggling and coming up with clever deals and better financial offers.

you might be able to get your dealer to throw in a type 2 cable and some mats.

you might be able to get a better rate of interest on finance particularly if you have a good credit rating - check it at https://www.experian.co.uk/
on the other hand, if you have a flexible mortgage you might be able to extend it for a while and get the best rate there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable and mats might be the best idea. Always worth a check though! We have had a look at finance, thanks to the guide at MSE.
I've just had some replies from CarWOW at £23,855, so, a marginal saving (about the cost of a type 2 cable?)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Our local dealer won't budge on the price (yet!), so, for the Exclusive we are looking at £23,995. No extras such as mats or cables.
I do agree with @Paul M .
Getting any extras thrown in is a struggle, most dealers are using the advantage of supply and demand and are getting the feeling they don't need to give nothing extra to sweeten the deal !.
They may consider that a £7,000 reduction in the price is enough, but remember this comes from MG and the plug in grant and NOT anything that the dealership's is offering !.
You would expect the dealer to throw in the cable to charge the car with after pending almost £24,000 with them would not be TOO much to ask !.
I suspect they have not been in this situation too many times before in the past.
Selling a car at full wind screen price and offering nothing to affect their profit margins themselves.
At a price of £23,995 for an Exclusive, I guess you are looking at a new order given the new increase in price from the original £23,495.
If you where offered a cancelation from a customer who was in the first batch of the orders, would you get the car at the old price or would the dealer pocket the difference ?.
I think we know the answer to that question.
Gives them some wiggle room though surely, or not if they keep a lid on it ?.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Dealers have very little margin on each car. I understand they are getting a fixed payment for each car they hand over.

As the MG contribution shrinks, more will be transferred to the dealer to decide how to utilise.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update to this.
I went to five different dealers today. Couldn't get a penny off of the price! PCP deals weren't great - as advertised on the website.

All of them confirmed that the MG contribution is shrinking as of tomorrow, and will continue to do so in the coming months.

Most dealers in my area would throw in the protection pack (fabric mats, mud guards, boot liner) for free. I managed to talk my way around to getting the protection pack and a type-2 cable included.

Figured that was the best I could do, so am expecting delivery in April. The car we are replacing won't pass it's next MOT (April 20th) as it's on it's last legs, so fingers crossed it's in by then!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Just an update to this.
I went to five different dealers today. Couldn't get a penny off of the price! PCP deals weren't great - as advertised on the website.

All of them confirmed that the MG contribution is shrinking as of tomorrow, and will continue to do so in the coming months.

Most dealers in my area would throw in the protection pack (fabric mats, mud guards, boot liner) for free. I managed to talk my way around to getting the protection pack and a type-2 cable included.

Figured that was the best I could do, so am expecting delivery in April. The car we are replacing won't pass it's next MOT (April 20th) as it's on it's last legs, so fingers crossed it's in by then!
Well done !.
I would be happy to be offered the protection pack and type 2 lead in with the deal !.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tried, but had to pay for the protection pack. Happy with the quality of the mats particularly the boot mat.

They would not throw in a cable either. I ordered the Excite at the launch price and the dealer told me there was practically no profit margin and will not be until MG removes their discount.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weird. ZS EV not configurable on Carwow for me at all. Only ICE models.
I kept having that problem, one day it just showed up for me. If I go back to it now, it says that the model is discontinued. I'd imagine if there is no room for movement, maybe dealers won't bother with it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Looked at What Car.. they are always saying to try to go via them for the best price...

No Discount via them Either (in fact its gone up in price vs the more MG subsidised price last month)

I would not be screwing the dealers too hard.. they need to make a margin and they have premises etc to pay for. Perhaps a discount on the mats might be good.. I find that if you are fair with people they tend to be good with you when you really need it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts