Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My 2016 A3 etron charging unit/cable were recently stolen. I contacted Audi and the price for a replacement is 2k? Was curious what you all think the best replacement is for this case?

I'm fine with a slow overnight charge. This would be plugging into a garage and I don't necessarily need wall mounting. I'd be happy with the exact same charger, I'm just hoping for something generic that's a little less expensive than the Audi replacement.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. There's quite a few models out there, and its hard to tell the difference between them all o_O

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I take it you're referring to the "granny" charger with a 13A plug on the end? I've been using one from evconnectors.com for about 4 years now. What I like about this one is it can be set to 6, 8, 10, 13, or even 16A ! They do a version with Commando plug (16A), and clearly don't bother to tweak the software inside the 13A plug version! I do use the 13A if I'm in a bit of a hurry, and I check the plugs & sockets aren't getting hot if I do this. It's had a lot of use, and last winter started overheating internally & shutting itself down, so I stripped it, and worked out that the relays were getting hot, so probably points wearing out. I swapped the relays myself, put in better quality UK-made equivalents, problem gone for next 4-5 years I expect. Other makes of granny EVSE have also been known to overheat, so I suspect the lack of cooling air in these is a factor, and probably not much can be done at the design stage.

So I'd happily recommend this brand as being good quality & reliable. They don't show A6 etron on their selector chart, but you can simply go for a Type 2 unit if that's what you car has. Not many are type 1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Whoops - I hadn't noticed the USA flag! That pic shows several things, including on the right there's a straight Type 2 plug wired to Type 2 plug, fits domestic wall-mounted and lowish-power AC outlets often found at shops/cinemas etc, and that's usually limited to about 7Kw for UK single-phase power. I'd expect the same on your 220V cooker-style-wired (2-phase) domestic wall-mount charger. If you can get 3-phase supply at 220V then this goes up to around 22 kW, but this is rare, and expensive, in UK houses.

Your 3-pin domestic plug charger is what we nickname granny chargers - often used overnight when visiting granny etc. This will be 110V single phase for you, not sure what current you draw, but if it's about 10A then it's going to charge you up very slowly, I'd guess maybe 5 miles range for every hour plugged in, as you'll be drawing maybe 2.2 Kw, and you get maybe around 3 miles for each kWh you use? It's tricky to guess these values, as you don't get 100% of the mains electricity ending up in your battery, there are losses in the car's circuitry & battery.

Sorry I can't advise you on US suppliers, tbh there are some, but not a lot, of US members here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts