Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
When the vast majority of the Western population can't afford a Tesla, I always find it amusing when people laugh at what the Chinese make for so little money.
Give it a decade or so when many of the legacy manufacturers have gone bust, or re-modelled their business into the luxury end of the market and the only manufacturers of small, city sized cars will be the Chinese.
I wonder who'll be laughing then?
I've just ordered some new e-cargobikes from a company in Amsterdam and even with discounts for volume sales I'll be paying more than twice the price of that Chinese EV.
Mind boggling!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh dear, they actually used that headline? I thought that was just you kidding. :oops:

---

I wonder if we'd be able to have sub-Fiesta EV prices if 100% powertrain manufacturing and raw material supply was set up in Europe. Maybe not £3200, but cheaper than ICE.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Since Tesla have so far ignored the mid/budget end of the market it is inevitable that they will be beaten on numbers sold as others fill that space.
It's a good headline but for most companies it's other numbers that matter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agree with Swagman. In a country where supposedly about 40% of the population make $150 a month cheaper cars like the one in the news article are good if they're replacing dirty ICE cars or motorbikes / scooters.

Here's a better recent article on the subject:

The mention of Tesla in the headlines are just to drive views, as Tesla is the media darling du jour.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
261 Posts
My non-e trail bike cost about the same as that car.
Bonkers. (Me that is :cautious: )
Years ago (1995-97) I had a colleague that was mad cyclist. He travelled EVERY day (12 miles one way) to the office oh his bike. He had very old Citroen bx diesel that he was using only if the weather in Scotland was really, really bad. I've seen him arriving in a poring rain. Good thing is that we had showers and lockers, so he had a spare set of clothes permanently positioned in his locker. On the top of his "every day" bike he had a red Porsche bike that he was looking after like a small child. Once I've asked him what is so special about this bike...after 20 minutes or so of explanation of the wonders this bike can offer, I've asked how much this wonder cost......the answer £4500.00 quid....in 1995. I am sure a lot of you remember that people working in a supermarket were working for 9/10000 a YEAR. So even then his bike was costing £1200 more than this Chinese car 😂
I remember buying 2lt Mercedes 190E with all the toys and only 12000 miles on the clock for £10 000......and his damn bike was half of the cost of a Merc 😂 😂 😂

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
I've just ordered some new e-cargobikes from a company in Amsterdam and even with discounts for volume sales I'll be paying more than twice the price of that Chinese EV.
Mind boggling!
I'm amazed that a knock-off version isn't available from the Far East already.

The vehicle in the original post is available in Europe, but I suspect is using the normal "Quadricycle" exemptions to avoid crash tests (although it has ABS etc).

World's Craziest Automaker Reveals Dirt Cheap EV

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh I get it they did "improve" it.

""The Freze hasn’t been developed from scratch, however. It’s actually based on the Hongguang Mini EV from Chinese automaker Wuling. The Wuling version has an electric motor up front good for 17.4 hp, and the choice of either a 9.2-kilowatt-hour battery or a 13.8-kwh unit.
2021 Freze Nikrob EV
Dartz said it made numerous improvements for the transformation of the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV into the Freze Nikrob EV, the main one being increased range. Naturally, the company that once offered leather trim made from the penis of whales that died from natural causes plans a range of modifications for vehicles from Freze. In the case of the new Nikrob EV, one of the options is a trim material sourced from palm tree leaves.""

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm amazed that a knock-off version isn't available from the Far East already.
Oh there are.
They mainly seem to be made of pig iron.
Look half decent, but useless after 6 months or so.
I've found a company just outside of Edinburgh that I'm working with presently to design, prototype and make our own e-cargobikes here in the UK, specced up predominantly with British made components apart from Shimano e-motors and odd bits of drivetrain and gear-shifters.
Won't make a huge saving over buying them in from Europe, but they'll be made with top quality Reynolds tubing, fitted out with the best components on the market, while creating a few manufacturing and servicing jobs here in the UK.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
261 Posts
Oh there are.
They mainly seem to be made of pig iron.
Look half decent, but useless after 6 months or so.
I've found a company just outside of Edinburgh that I'm working with presently to design, prototype and make our own e-cargobikes here in the UK, specced up predominantly with British made components apart from Shimano e-motors and odd bits of drivetrain and gear-shifters.
Won't make a huge saving over buying them in from Europe, but they'll be made with top quality Reynolds tubing, fitted out with the best components on the market, while creating a few manufacturing and servicing jobs here in the UK.
The only comment I will make is the following:

WELL DONE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts