Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new MG ZS EV

what’s the best setting to drive on as garage said keep it on economy and braking 1 but others are saying different.
Also full charges it states only 150 miles on it I thought it was supposed to be higher.
can anyone help shed some light for me simplistically please lol

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Got my new MG ZS EV

what’s the best setting to drive on as garage said keep it on economy and braking 1 but others are saying different.
Also full charges it states only 150 miles on it I thought it was supposed to be higher.
can anyone help shed some light for me simplistically please lol
There are 9 possible combinations of drive mode and KERS and "the best" is the combination that suits you best on the particular journey that you're on. So a motorway trip for you will probably have different settings from another driver who indulges in lots of speeding away from the lights... Best thing is to find out yourself.
But in my opinion the best range is from a sedate style so probably not using Sports mode - but others may disagree.

The range that the car predicts when fully charged depends to some extent on the driving history and battery temperature, so its not a definite number.
The often quoted range value of 163 miles is the distance from a specific test programme (WLTP) at a defined temperature with a mixture of different speeds and distances. The idea is to be able to compare different cars, all tested the same way.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
Yeah, drive by how you feel inclined. Driving like you have to preserve charge whilst tootling to the shops and back is unnecessary when you have ample range to make it there and back several times. Conversely you may want to be a little more careful when on a long journey. Use the car often and for diverse purposes and you'll get a better idea how it behaves with your driving style. Remember the cost per mile is a fraction of the cost of petrol or diesel.

The range will vary according to local conditions - temperature, rain, wind, road surface, the way you drive and so-on. You will also have the effect of the way the person before you drove it (these delivery drivers don't drive frugally!) as the Guess-O-Meter (GOM, where the 150 miles is shown) is an aggregate of the way it is driven. So if raced for a while the range will go down, if driven carefully it will show increased range. It can only give you an idea of how far you can travel if everything stayed the same and will alter as hills (up/down) and winds etc effect the journey.

Driven carefully for a while it will max out at somewhere around 165 miles, but that then will drop according to the way you are driving and the conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are 9 possible combinations of drive mode and KERS and "the best" is the combination that suits you best on the particular journey that you're on. So a motorway trip for you will probably have different settings from another driver who indulges in lots of speeding away from the lights... Best thing is to find out yourself.
But in my opinion the best range is from a sedate style so probably not using Sports mode - but others may disagree.

The range that the car predicts when fully charged depends to some extent on the driving history and battery temperature, so its not a definite number.
The often quoted range value of 163 miles is the distance from a specific test programme (WLTP) at a defined temperature with a mixture of different speeds and distances. The idea is to be able to compare different cars, all tested the same way.
Thanks for your help

·
Zoe Devotee
9,069 Posts
I run solely in regen 3, default, but flick between models depending on my mood. Mostly I flick into eco as I like the nice light lazy steering. But on occasion I'll flick it up to Sport just for a bit of fun. I don't use Normal mode at all really, perhaps for first mile to get the heater really kicking out roasting heat then into eco when I notice.

Reactions: rogerdee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been running mainly in eco as I’m only really driving round town so thought that would be best.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,069 Posts
I have been running mainly in eco as I’m only really driving round town so thought that would be best.
If your gentle with your right foot you'll see no gain in running eco over normal or sport to be fair. For me its all about steering feel in town.

Reactions: aldon and Petriix

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
346 Posts
I never use the 'Eco' setting and always keep it on KERS 3. By careful use of the throttle pedal, feathering, etc, I can replicate the other KERS levels.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,069 Posts
Just be aware that your air con doesn't operate efficiently on eco,the car restricts it and you end up with steamed up windows.
Just drive it on the normal mode and enjoy it.
I used eco 95% of the time, using the AC keeps my windows perfectly clear. The key is 1. clean windows. 2. actually use the AC, a lot of folk turn it off, then on, then off, then on, better to just set a desired temp and leave the AC going, it doesn't save any range toggling on and off. 3. keep your interior dry, and open a window when it is steamy to let moisture out. I even find Eco pretty hot too, through the coldest winter has had I've stayed in eco, the full bars of heat in eco is way hotter than my zoe got in normal mode.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
Just be aware that your air con doesn't operate efficiently on eco,the car restricts it and you end up with steamed up windows.
Just drive it on the normal mode and enjoy it.
I've also noticed that it randomly (seemly) switches in to recirculate and steams up the windows.

I had a bad experience in our first Zoe with ECO so have sworn never to use ECO if I don't really really have to. I just drive in normal with KERS 3 unless I want to show off, then I put it in sport.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
If you don't need to eke out every last mile of range leave it in Normal, KERS 3.

Sport does nothing that pressing the accelerator harder in Normal doesn't (steering weight is fake whatever mode).

Some advocate using KERS 1 on motorways to try to avoid unneccesary deceleration but learning just to ease off on the accelerator gives at least as much control in my experience.

If you really need all the range ECO will buy a few miles by crapping out the heater, but slowing down by 2 mph does much the same and keeps you toasty ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've not driven mine much yet but the acceleration is so much better than my previous car that I've done it pretty much all in ECO, and didn't realise that impacted the heating. I tend not to like too warm a car and haven't even set any specific temperature yet. Only had to worry about range once and dropping from motorway speeds saw a dramatic increase in range and got home with plenty (19 miles).

I did a full charge and balance the other week and saw 171 miles on the GOM.

·
Registered
432 Posts
When driving you need to balance speed, efficiency, safety and comfort. The different driving and KERS modes are simply tools to help you do that. The actual optimal balance between these varies depending on the specific manoeuvre you are performing...

A higher KERS setting will give you more regen by default whenever you lift your foot off the accelerator. That would probably save you energy when approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway as you would be slowing anyway and an earlier and more gradual reduction will allow you to avoid using the friction brakes and possibly plan ahead to better preserve your momentum later in the junction.

Conversely, when maintaining your speed on the motorway, a lower regen setting will make it easier to avoid unnecessarily slowing if you accidentally ease off the accelerator too much, saving you the energy required to accelerate again.

With precise control of the accelerator and brake pedals you can achieve the same outcome regardless of whichever settings you use. They are just tools to help you to spend or conserve your energy as you desire.

I frequently flick between the different modes depending on what I'm trying to do at any given moment. If I'm slowing for a junction I'll use KERS 3 or if I'm trying to maintain a particular speed then I'll use KERS 2. If I'm at the front of the queue at the lights then I'll always use Sport mode.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,069 Posts
I've also noticed that it randomly (seemly) switches in to recirculate and steams up the windows.
Nowt randomer than folk! Recirc turns on when you turn the heater off, it doesn't turn itself on any other time. ;) So turn the heating on and leave it on unless its a warm day and you've got the roof open, then remember to press the recirc button to turn it off.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
Nowt randomer than folk! Recirc turns on when you turn the heater off, it doesn't turn itself on any other time. ;) So turn the heating on and leave it on unless its a warm day and you've got the roof open, then remember to press the recirc button to turn it off.
It happened quite recently. It was after the service. The technician must have turned it off.

Reactions: Sandy

·
Zoe Devotee
9,069 Posts
It happened quite recently. It was after the service. The technician must have turned it off.
Oh god, could it be a new "bug" introduced with a fix. :ROFLMAO: It worries me that in 12months of ZS ownership my car has been perfect (bongs aside) and its going in for a service soon and it might be less than perfect after.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts