Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listening to music in the car today the bass didn't meet my expectations. I listen to rock, heavy metal, metalcore.... You name it, anything heavy I listen to :ROFLMAO: . I thought with a Bose subwoofer I would feel some decent bass. What settings does everyone have set in their leafs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lol - good effort - ACDC and 'hair' rock fan here.

Was also a bit underwhelmed but then I haven't explored any settings other than the volume switch - will watch with interest too.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
For me I turn the bass up to 2/3rds, then the fader lower until front and rear seem equal.

I agree tho I am slightly surprised and how poor the Bose system sounds!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don’t forget your source player may have different settings to the car stereo. If you use a phone or portable with a cable you might want to adjust the player. And, if you are using low bitrate tracks you might notice a difference - I started using tidal recently but in the car the stream switches to lower quality playback so the songs play back differently to the home system.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The first thing I did when I got my Tekna was to rip out that useless Bose box in the boot. I have installed and maintained many professional Bose Cannon pa systems in nightclubs and venues throughout Western Australia and I am disappointed in this unit. If you want decent bass you will need to sacrifice far more boot space and fit at least a 10" sub into your boot.

You cannot change the laws of physics. What you are after is the movement of air, you can only do this for the lower frequencies with a large diameter speaker (with today's technology, maybe in the future there will be a better transducer invented).

Forget monster cables and ultra-expensive car sound systems, when all these sharks try to sell you high-end car sound systems, with printouts of your particular car interior tailored to your car remember as soon as you crack open a window, all their fancy measurements literally fly out of the window.

Fit a bog-standard subbie in the boot, try using the inbuilt amp, if that doesn't cut it get a subbie amp from Amazon or ebay, don't spend a lot of money.

I understand, headphones won't cut it, you want the car to rattle as you feel the super bass, you can't do that with headphones. It isn't my particular bag - unless I've had a few and want to rock to some Joe Walsh or early Neil Young tracks!

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Also, how sturdy is that Bose sub, I think ours a metal box? Can I put things on top of it?

·
Registered
425 Posts
From memory, it was almost a year ago, 4 bolts and one easy plug, took me 2 mins. The bose has an abs plastic housing, it is pretty sturdy but I wouldn't drop a concrete block on it! Normal stuff like suitcases will be fine.

·
Read Only
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first thing I did when I got my Tekna was to rip out that useless Bose box in the boot. I have installed and maintained many professional Bose Cannon pa systems in nightclubs and venues throughout Western Australia and I am disappointed in this unit. If you want decent bass you will need to sacrifice far more boot space and fit at least a 10" sub into your boot.

You cannot change the laws of physics. What you are after is the movement of air, you can only do this for the lower frequencies with a large diameter speaker (with today's technology, maybe in the future there will be a better transducer invented).

Forget monster cables and ultra-expensive car sound systems, when all these sharks try to sell you high-end car sound systems, with printouts of your particular car interior tailored to your car remember as soon as you crack open a window, all their fancy measurements literally fly out of the window.

Fit a bog-standard subbie in the boot, try using the inbuilt amp, if that doesn't cut it get a subbie amp from Amazon or ebay, don't spend a lot of money.

I understand, headphones won't cut it, you want the car to rattle as you feel the super bass, you can't do that with headphones. It isn't my particular bag - unless I've had a few and want to rock to some Joe Walsh or early Neil Young tracks!

Cheers Tony.
It's annoying. When I had my Fiesta ST. The sony system in that was outstanding! I'm still tweaking so hopefully I'll find it to my standards soon

·
Registered
425 Posts
Read my post again-you can't move masses of air with a tiny Bose so-called subbie. You need to build yourself a big box to fit in the boot with a minimum 10" speaker. No amount of tweaking will ever override the laws of physics.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Read my post again-you can't move masses of air with a tiny Bose so-called subbie. You need to build yourself a big box to fit in the boot with a minimum 10" speaker. No amount of tweaking will ever override the laws of physics.
As an addendum, think about the way our hearing changes over time. We live in a noisy world in the 21st century. Young people as young as 10 and 11 are using headphones and earbuds, no parent is able to control the levels at which they listen. By the time they are 20 they will have the hearing attributes of octogenarians. In the days before electronics we lived in a mainly silent world. Then it would only have been as young adults we would have started the slow deterioration in hearing ability. A young person of 15 would have hearing abilities almost to 18,000khz. Nowadays they will be lucky to hear 12,000khz.

As a former rock band member in my misspent youth, we always set the stage up in the same configuration and I was always on the left of the rest of the band. My right ear has considerably less acute hearing than my left as a result. As a 69 year old I have measured my hearing and even my left ear drops off markedly after 10,000khz. The point I'm rather laboriously trying to make is that spending lots of money on hi-fidelity equipment is an exercise in futility, with ever diminishing returns on ever increasing outlay. Most high-end sound systems are flogged to older people who are the only people that can afford it and it is a totally pointless endeavour as they can't hear the difference anyway. Anyone over the age of thirty should completely forget about hi-fidelity.

As we age the liquid in our inner ear becomes ever more viscous. In a vain attempt to re-create those high notes we were once able to perceive we crank up the treble controls, which is painful for young people to hear. Conversely, young people crank up the bass and that is painful to older folk as it reverberates inside our heads and gives us headaches.

It's a funny old world isn't it?

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Problem is Tony that consumer products are all about perception and style. You won’t get the response in a car, in the same way you won’t get response in headphones on the London Underground; there is too much competing information and your brain selects what to ignore. If someone thinks they have it set up how they like, that is the best way to approach music systems. Recreating musical performance, the idea of reproducing what the artist recorded in the studio as close as possible depends on the listener having some idea of what a £50k system sounds like, what to listen for, what the engineer is doing or not doing and some idea of what was possible before compared to today.

also, with your ears, the hairs which receive the pressure changes and translate them inside your ear deteriorate over time. It’s a surface like your arm hairs. Amazing stuff!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Listening to music in the car today the bass didn't meet my expectations. I listen to rock, heavy metal, metalcore.... You name it, anything heavy I listen to :ROFLMAO: . I thought with a Bose subwoofer I would feel some decent bass. What settings does everyone have set in their leafs?
Equally heavy heavy metal fan here. A few weeks into owning a new Leaf and am also very disappointed in that sub.

Back in my youth I did have a 10inch car sub - in a homemade box literally the size of my Peugeot 309 boot (it wasnt ported, hence so big), so nothing is never going to sound as good as that did, but even so. My previous car was a VW EOS and that sounded a lot better than the Leaf.

I'll put up with it for a month or so and then am tempted to see what I can do to sort that out.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,115 Posts
I'd rather have the controlled bass than the flabby incoherent mono tone bass that seems to afflict a lot of sound systems.

Bose thing is ok. It's better than nothing but it's not going to rattle the windows.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Equally heavy heavy metal fan here. A few weeks into owning a new Leaf and am also very disappointed in that sub.

Back in my youth I did have a 10inch car sub - in a homemade box literally the size of my Peugeot 309 boot (it wasnt ported, hence so big), so nothing is never going to sound as good as that did, but even so. My previous car was a VW EOS and that sounded a lot better than the Leaf.

I'll put up with it for a month or so and then am tempted to see what I can do to sort that out.
Another EOS to leaf last April fanboy here. I did replace my head unit in the EOS though.....
Cheers Tony

Reactions: LeafSVB

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'd rather have the controlled bass than the flabby incoherent mono tone bass that seems to afflict a lot of sound systems. Bose thing is ok. It's better than nothing but it's not going to rattle the windows.
But that is what you get with Bose. The boxes aren't big enough to reproduce the bass frequencies with any control, so concentrate on pushing the harmonics to give the impression of there being bass. That is exactly what Bose have become famous for with their small boxes - the 'fantastic bass'.

This sort of thing may work with R&B, but it certainly doesn't work with classical music or voice. This is where nothing is better than Bose (literally) i.e. you're better not having the sub at all.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I would try contacting the show "Pimp my ride" they will help you with it.

B&O or Alpine are usually better than Bose if you're willing to pay the price for the extra quality.
But then you would be talking about a few 1000's for a good sound system.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,115 Posts
I haven't heard the JBL system in the Niro. I'd be curious to hear that.

I have set the Leaf flat on all frequencies and just shifted the balance to be slightly more toward the driver. The previous owner had it with very cut down bass and boosted mid and boosted treble lots and all toward the driver.

I think the A pillar tweeters are an issue. They seem in the wrong place. They angle in toward the dashboard rather than angling toward the people.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts