Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trading in my LEAF for a Corsa E, so (since it's a gen 2 LEAF) I need to change my home charger. Currently I've got a tethered PodPoint. PodPoint want £390 just to change the connector and cable. Which makes me think of dumping PodPoint and getting a smarter charger. Especially now I've got a PV installation.

I choose tethered for the convenience of not having to rummage for the cable, and on the whole I'll probably stick with that (though it means for the time between installation and new car I'll have to charge the LEAF on the granny cable).

So what do people find works for them? There's the Zappi and the OHME smart cable (maybe with just a Commando Socket). Would that need a separate earth?

Just viewed that video about Rolec burnout. Is the current model (which seems to be smart) better built?

There's the EO mini, which looks neat but expensive.

With lockdown currently delaying the deal I have plenty of time to chose.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts
What smart options are you looking for?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'm trading in my LEAF for a Corsa E, so (since it's a gen 2 LEAF) I need to change my home charger. Currently I've got a tethered PodPoint. PodPoint want £390 just to change the connector and cable. Which makes me think of dumping PodPoint and getting a smarter charger. Especially now I've got a PV installation.

I choose tethered for the convenience of not having to rummage for the cable, and on the whole I'll probably stick with that (though it means for the time between installation and new car I'll have to charge the LEAF on the granny cable).

So what do people find works for them? There's the Zappi and the OHME smart cable (maybe with just a Commando Socket). Would that need a separate earth?

Just viewed that video about Rolec burnout. Is the current model (which seems to be smart) better built?

There's the EO mini, which looks neat but expensive.

With lockdown currently delaying the deal I have plenty of time to chose.
Just change the cable yourself. Time required 10 minutes. Cost about £90.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Secondhand units on eBay go for around £200. Is yours out of warranty? If you sold it now you could invest that into whatever solution meets your needs rather than keep fingers crossed the old unit doesn't fail. If you go for the portable Ohme, then it gives more flexibility, you can charge at the cheapest slots on Agile, and you can buy it for £199. Fit some sort of enclosure over it to keep direct rain off.

It doesn't have any integration with solar, so you'd have to do more manual intervention. Others may comment on the Zappi but remember the cost difference between solutions can buy an awful lot of electricity.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What smart options are you looking for?
I'm on Octopus Agile and it would be great to have a system that fetched pricing data from Octopus and grabbed the cheapest half-hours, based on a desired SOC for the morning

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will you get another OLEV or not ,if not I expect the Zappi would way too high after installation, the OHME would do what you want
I think OLEV grants are limited to one to an address. In which case I've had mine

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
400 Posts
I think OLEV grants are limited to one to an address. In which case I've had mine
It’s 2 per address, one per car. So my dad has had his 2 as has 2 EVs.
I have one installed now from the Zoe and am going to get it upgraded to a Zappi with another grant on the M3

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s 2 per address, one per car. So my dad has had his 2 as has 2 EVs.
I have one installed now from the Zoe and am going to get it upgraded to a Zappi with another grant on the M3
So is that: two cars at the same time, or would two cars sequentially work 😉

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will you get another OLEV or not ,if not I expect the Zappi would way too high after installation, the OHME would do what you want
The OHME looks a bit fragile to me. Too easily stood on, dropped in a puddle, falling off the hook at the crucial moment and getting run over.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If you want both solar integration and the agile price feeds the only option is the Indra Smart PRO.

Zappi will do solar but not agile.

Ohme will do agile but not solar.

screenshot below showing how agile works

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
jim5452
273 Posts
>>If you want both solar integration and the agile price feeds the only option is the Indra Smart PRO.
Zappi will do solar but not agile.<<<<

The new MYENERGI portal now works with AGILE pricing
I have charged my EV in periods when the price has dropped below a chosen ?ppkw
A wonderful addition to ZAPPI

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you want both solar integration and the agile price feeds the only option is the Indra Smart PRO.

Zappi will do solar but not agile.

Ohme will do agile but not solar.

screenshot below showing how agile works

Looks nice but the website doesn't look like you're doing retail sales. No price and the button is only "Business Enquiries". Presumably still looking for retail distributors.
I sent an enquiry anyway. Can't do any harm.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
147 Posts
I'm on Octopus Agile and it would be great to have a system that fetched pricing data from Octopus and grabbed the cheapest half-hours, based on a desired SOC for the morning
Zappi and MyEnergi does exactly that from last week.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
147 Posts

<Zappi will do solar but not agile.>

Zappi with a MyEnergi account now does this. from last week.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts