Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose I have a journey to make which I know will exceed my battery capacity. Some of the journey will be around 30mph; other parts around 50mph; some of it at 70mph. I know that it makes sense to use up ALL the battery power and only use petrol for the rest, but which part(s) of the journey should I do on battery and which parts on petrol, in order to use the least total petrol?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Use the ICE for high speeds and battery for slow and stop/start traffic (town, congestion).

IMHO ;)

I'd say 30-40mph flowing traffic is the sweet spot for maxing battery range.

With a/c vs open window,the advised cut off point is 45mph ie above that, power required to overcome drag is greater than power drain from the a/c unit. (Not relevant at the mo).

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's all depends on the ICE vehicle. I have Lexus GS300 (50mph, 8l/100km), Mercedes S class 3.2 diesel (62mph, 5.1l/100km), mitsu 3000gt (62mph, 10l/100km), these are findings, not the trip computer data. Your worst enemies as @Brooktop mentioned - drag. Also jump starts and aggressive acceleration.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tend to do a fair few miles on ICE as I do a lot of longer journeys and find about 60 - 62 to be the most economical for ICE. The difference between 62 and 70 mph journey times is very little. I get about 55 - 58mpg at 60ish and only about 45 - 48 at 70ish. For battery range anything 50 or below.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
In that scenario during cooler months (which was my commute last winter) I always start on petrol to get some "free" cabin heat. I think it also uses engine heat to warm battery pack as I get more miles on electric compared to using battery first and petrol later.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Everything the others have said ! Plus, save a little battery if you expect to hit traffic.

I'm half certain that the planetary gearbox changes ratio around 58-60mph, so it's better to do 60 rather that 57mph

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm half certain that the planetary gearbox changes ratio around 58-60mph, so it's better to do 60 rather that 57mph
Mygreenvolt doesn't show rpm in electric mode as I thought it did, it only shows rpm of the IC engine. However I managed to plot the current and speed against time for the secondary electric motor from mygreenvolt data saved on my way to work. This shows the motor kicking in to lower the revs at about 61 mph and dropping back out at about 58mph pretty much as Lee said. I'm not sure if this holds true when the ICE is running but expect it will. I'll check it next time I have the engine running.

Text Line Plot Design Font

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Mygreenvolt doesn't show rpm in electric mode as I thought it did, it only shows rpm of the IC engine. However I managed to plot the current and speed against time for the secondary electric motor from mygreenvolt data saved on my way to work. This shows the motor kicking in to lower the revs at about 61 mph and dropping back out at about 58mph pretty much as Lee said. I'm not sure if this holds true when the ICE is running but expect it will. I'll check it next time I have the engine running.

View attachment 2551
If you accelerate steadily, you can feel the second motor cutting in ;)

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
It is interesting that volt 2 has a greater focus on using two motor mode, presumably to improve efficiency. Really looking forward to reading more in January when it is launched...

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Does mygreenvolt logging work on android as I couldnt get it to store data in the past.

Enjoying the power meter on my new 2013 model so haven't connected the Bluetooth dongle yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does mygreenvolt logging work on android as I couldnt get it to store data in the past.

Enjoying the power meter on my new 2013 model so haven't connected the Bluetooth dongle yet.
Yes, I'm using it on Android. In the settings section click on save pidfiles and you can then open the csv files in excel to view the data from your journeys and maybe figure out what is going on in the background with this amazing vehicle.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Just done a 175 mile journey with a preheat before leaving. Most was motorway and flowing. Kept switching between ice with heating on and EV with no fans blowing. Switching back to ice when it got cold and when able to do 70. 50mph stretch on M1 done on EV.

Got 49 EV miles done with 10.5 kWh. Think that's good in these temps.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Just done a 175 mile journey with a preheat before leaving. Most was motorway and flowing. Kept switching between ice with heating on and EV with no fans blowing. Switching back to ice when it got cold and when able to do 70. 50mph stretch on M1 done on EV.

Got 49 EV miles done with 10.5 kWh. Think that's good in these temps.
Very impressive !

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Obviously battery temp plays a huge part in battery range.

The more I use this car, the more I realise what a fantastic feat of engineering this is until BEVs and the charging infrastructure are nearly perfect.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Obviously battery temp plays a huge part in battery range.

The more I use this car, the more I realise what a fantastic feat of engineering this is until BEVs and the charging infrastructure are nearly perfect.
I actually think it's the near perfect EV at the moment. If you ripped the engine and petrol tank out, and replaced them with another 10kw of battery, and a rapid charger, it would (in my opinion) outperform the leaf and zoe :)
#retrofit

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Plus letting you have, say, 14 kWh of the full 16. Think of all the extra EV vs petrol miles driven.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Plus letting you have, say, 14 kWh of the full 16. Think of all the extra EV vs petrol miles driven.
Only getting to play with 10 ish kWh out of 16 is IMO the main reason the Volt/Ampera will still be doing in ten years exactly what it is doing today:D Extra battery instead of the ICE would be an interesting idea though

·
Registered
150 Posts
Twice Ampera's existing range would still not be enough for me and if that was all that was available when I bought my Ampera 21 months ago I would still be driving an ICE.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts