Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Leaf and was wondering what people would suggest is the best way to go about it.

I'm based in Hampshire. The nearest dealer is WKB Nissan in Waterlooville. I'm interested in a new or nearly new model, ideally a Tekna but it depends on the offers available. WKB advertise the standard Nissan deal on their site, which is 0% finance over two years. If I understand it at the end you can either pay off the rest of the value of the car, about 12-15k depending on model and monthly payment etc, or hand it back to them.

Is it a good deal? Presumably if you want to keep the car you can just get private finance after the two years are up. I'd like to hang on to it for a bit longer than that, basically until something better like a higher capacity Leaf or a low cost Tesla is available.

I suppose the other option is to keep looking for a second hand low mileage one, like an ex-demo, or do private financing over a longer term. Are the ex-demo ones okay? I have heard that sitting around not moving but on charge for very long periods is not too good for the battery, but it really depends on how clever the charging system is.

I'll also need a charging point installed, but I understand that I can get one for free or very low cost easily enough.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark. Doesn't the name "Fleetdrive" sort of imply they would have been fleet vehicles though?

·
Registered
302 Posts
No, it is the company that administered the Electric Avenue discounted lease program, but they have some great personal deals that tend to be better than most dealers can offer.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Hi **** and welcome to Speak EV!

The current Nissan PCP deal is reckoned to be a decent way of getting into a LEAF. The consensus is that batteries will improve and become cheaper so in two or three years time, with longer range EVs available, this year's model could be hard to sell on. So letting the manufacturer carry the depreciation risk is prudent.

There are rumours that Nissan is incentivising its dealers to move LEAFs, so many will be able to improve on the standard Nissan deal – bigger up front contribution to the deposit and shaving the interest rate (obviously not on the two year deal - that's already interest-free).

It's worth shopping around. Ex-demos can be had for up to £10k off list. Many were pre-registered to hit targets. It's worth being clear on the difference between battery included and Flex (battery lease) cars. Also sorting out, for your mileage, which is cheaper for you – it varies.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I highly recommend you lease don't buy... EV technology is improving rapidly and some people who purchased are being stung for out of warranty repairs;

And some people with extended warranties are having difficulties with battery degradation and loss of range. :(

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try Fleetdrive for a start.

I'll shop around for some ex-demo models, or see what deals are on offer. I suppose all things considered the up-front deposit plus monthly payment is a pretty good offer, even if you have no intention of keeping the car at the end of the two years. Not having to worry about maintenance costs is nice too.

I only do about 8000 miles a year.

One other thing, the Flex option doesn't seem very good to me. With the current deal you end up paying about the same for finance + battery rental as you would if you went with the non-flex option. Might as well pay that money to (partially) own something.

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Mmm. They've changed the PCP offers. When we got ours, flex plan worked out as the better deal.

I only do about 8000 miles a year.
You are probably better off taking one of lease offers. Demos usually don't qualify for incentive financing. They also are not eligible for the ICE loaner offer.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you look at the actual deal? I keep thinking I misunderstood it because it doesn't make any sense to buy a Flex plan...

I'm not worried about needing an ICE, I'll still have access to one. Hopefully I won't need it though.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
My local Nissan dealer has this advert running at the moment. Obviously the price is excluding the battery lease and for only 5,000 miles a year but it does show the incentives on offer at the moment

Derek

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to pop in to WKB on the way home and see what they have on offer. Just so I understand this right, in the offer Derekosb posted you would pay the headlined price and Nissan would make a contribution of an additional £3200, so after two years you would own about 1/3 of the car with the option to buy the rest for £10,791, right?

Battery rental seems to be around the £80/month mark IIRC, so not really cheaper than the basic £169/month finance deal on the non-Flex version. I suppose it allows them to say "£53/month" as the headline, even if the battery costs more than that to rent on top.

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Battery is £70pcm for 7,500 miles per year and £77 for 9,000.

For 8,000 miles per year, it is probably cheaper to choose the 7,500 mile plan and pay the excess. Need to double check against the current rates.

Flex vs. entire car? You'd need to ask for quotes for both to be certain.

I just check the quotes I have from 10 months ago, £3000 customer cash, £3200 dealer contribution and then
£353.37 x 36 months vs £260.16 + £77 x 36 months
9,000 miles a year for 3 years.

Tekna with metallic paint and 6.6kW charger. Be interesting to see how a similar spec'd car quotes up now.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
One other thing, the Flex option doesn't seem very good to me. With the current deal you end up paying about the same for finance + battery rental as you would if you went with the non-flex option. Might as well pay that money to (partially) own something.
Hmm, when I compared Flex vs. battery included, Flex worked out £26/month cheaper (that's when adding the deposit to all the monthly payments and dividing by the number of months).

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Battery is £70pcm for 7,500 miles per year and £77 for 9,000.
That's true for 36 months or more. Over 24 months, the minimum is £80pcm.

You'd need to ask for quotes for both to be certain.
That's true and add up the total outgoings for both cases (i.e. deposit, battery lease, option to purchase, admin fees, etc., etc.).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts