Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a personalised number plate (a.k.a. vanity plate) on my current EV (Nissan Leaf) I plan to sell the Nissan Leaf after my EV6 arrives. I'd like to new EV6 to be delivered (to me) with my personalised number plate, and wondered the best way to do this.

My high-level understanding is that
1. I use the www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number site with details on my V5C and will pay £80 to take the number plate "on retention" and I will get a piece of paper through the post (and I will assign back the original number plate to my current Leaf)
2. I can then give the piece of paper to my Kia dealer who can assign the plate to the new vehicle when they deliver it to me.

Is this is best approach. My questions are
- How long does part 1 take? The dealer suggests I should do it ASAP even though they have not got a delivery date for my EV6.
- Is this the most efficient approach?

I'm sure a few first order EV6 folks on here will be doing the same

·
Registered
271 Posts
I took my plate off a previous car I sold over 3 years ago and can't remember how long it took for my retention doc to arrive unfortunately, I had a different car that I didn't want to put the plate on, until buying my current car. When transferring from an existing retention certificate, it's instant when done online so you need to tell insurance at the same time. There are rumours about DVLA delays but my new V5C arrived within 4 days (that was beginning of this month). As for option two, I've no experience. But it's no more difficult to do yourself than it is for a dealer to do it, do they charge a "fee"? I'd still take it off straight away if you don't mind your current car being back on its original plate. Insurance might not charge for the plate change

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just done it twice recently.

Go to the DVLA website and follow the retention instructions. You will pay the £80 fee, you will be issued with a retention document certificate. Subsequent to that you will receive a new paper V5 (usually within a week) with the replacement reg no for your current car.

Give you dealer the details of your retention document and they can register the car for collection with your cherished plate.

So much easier than it was in the past when DVLA did everything through the post.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Excellent advice. I’ll sort this out this weekend.

Probably then the EV6 won’t arrive until November😏 but I’ll be ready and prepared.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Personally I prefer to get my new car delivered with it’s own plate and then swap. That way it has a registration designated and original plates supplied so much easier to swap back when it’s time to sell on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I prefer to get my new car delivered with it’s own plate and then swap. That way it has a registration designated and original plates supplied so much easier to swap back when it’s time to sell on.
Thank you. That is a good point @Desmo. My I ask why that is easier and what are the advantage? When the time comes to sell, how does the process work? Does one simply apply to the DVLA for the personalised plate to be removed, and then a new plate is issued which you then have to have made, and put on the car.

In your case, I understand you get an original plate from the dealer, which you have to swap for the personalised plate when the car is new, whereas with getting it delivered with the personalised plate, that plate swap is when you sell the car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When you want to swap your private plate out you put it on retention. This can be done online and is almost instant.

What I don’t know is how quickly getting a new registration would be if your private plate is the only registration that has been on the car. I don’t k ow how long it takes to assign a brand new registration. This is why I prefer to let the car arrive with it’s own registration and ready made plates. It doesn’t take long at all to put your own private registration on.

Maybe doing it the other way isn’t any slower at all. I just prefer my way as it is what I have always done.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My approach also - get car delivered with allocated plate BUT chat up dealer and ask them to run up some plates which are for your personalised plate free of charge (Point out they have there name on bottom so effectively an advertising slogan!). You need the allocated plate again when you sell or exchange it as DVLA will use this number when swapped back. Saves you about £35 :) Also means you can impress neighbours with brand new plate for a couple of weeks .

With online DVLA system everything is now instant anyway not like old days. so just go online do swap, fit plate and job done, do need V5 log book but on new vehicle comes through in a few days if dealer has pushed it through.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am VERY nervous awaiting DVdeLAy sending anything out correctly!!!!
They have proved to me repeatedly they are a complete and utter shower of 5hite!
In the past, you have to wait for the new V5 being sent out. I know DVdeLAy are blaming covid for their inefficiencies and lack of speed when dealing with paperwork.
I suspect it will be weeks rather than days before I receive a V5 with my name on it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My approach also - get car delivered with allocated plate BUT chat up dealer and ask them to run up some plates which are for your personalised plate free of charge (Point out they have there name on bottom so effectively an advertising slogan!). You need the allocated plate again when you sell or exchange it as DVLA will use this number when swapped back. Saves you about £35 :) Also means you can impress neighbours with brand new plate for a couple of weeks .
This is brilliant advice @Goldfish120 and what I will do and see if I can also get my dealer to agree to change the plates over when I make the initial switch.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am VERY nervous awaiting DVdeLAy sending anything out correctly!!!!
They have proved to me repeatedly they are a complete and utter shower of 5hite!
In the past, you have to wait for the new V5 being sent out. I know DVdeLAy are blaming covid for their inefficiencies and lack of speed when dealing with paperwork.
I suspect it will be weeks rather than days before I receive a V5 with my name on it.
If you do everything online as you can now if they mess it up probably is because person imputing data has messed it up, I.e. You . If V5 is wrong from dealer that will be their fault. Even selling a car you can change ownership instantly. No more messing with green bits of paper torn off V5. When my lease vehicle was collected I reallocated ownership before it left my drive, get a nice time stamped receipt so those nice chaps who collect it and speed through the local camera get the ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts