Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
What would you say is the best way to use UK plug trickle charger abroad (France, Germany, Holland).
Anyone tried it yet?
Thanks

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
Obviously, you would need a suitable adapter. And access to outdoor 'domestic' type sockets. But my main question is - Why?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously, you would need a suitable adapter. And access to outdoor 'domestic' type sockets. But my main question is - Why?
Are there any I can buy or is it a DIY thing?
As to why; I will be going on holiday and stopping at a place with just one type 2 charger. Next one is 22 miles away.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
I assume that you are planning to use the 'granny' charger fitted with a UK 13 amp plug to charge the car without reliance on that single type 2 post. If so then you just need a normal continental adapter such as used abroad to plug a hairdryer or travel kettle into an EU socket in holiday accommodation. One such as this-- TEC UK - 2 x UK to EU Europe European Travel Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You probably already have one of those if you have ever needed to charge camera/phone batteries on holiday on the continent. The granny charger 3 pin plug into one of those adapters will work exactly as it does in the UK to deliver 10 amps to the car as long as the socket used is rated as being enough to run a kettle or heater from there. Also, of course, the usual caveats apply over monitoring a granny charger plugged into an unknown source for the first time to ensure that there is no heat build up at the wall connections. And to seek permission, and offer payment, from the supply owner before drawing such a large amount of power from a domestic outlet to run your car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've found a solution:

Personally I wouldn't want to use the normal adapter.
I saw pictures on this forum with scorched adapter after charging attempt.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
That is still the same two pins into the same wall socket as a normal holiday adapter. The 13 amp 3 pin plug into that 13 amp socket on the lead will be more robust though. Just keep an eye on the first hour or so for any heat build-up. Especially if the socket is indoors. There are pics around of overheated plugs of all kinds which is why vigilance is wise for the first use in any new and unknown supply source.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would second Tough Leads as an ideal solution. I went with their modular system where you can easily connect different adapters depending on the country you are in. They do a modular system for Teslas too.

Tough Leads Modular System

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I've trickle charged my Ampera on hols in Germany & Belgium. Made up my own 2-pin to 13A socket by recycling a heavy-duty computer cable already moulded to the continental plug. But I stuck to only running at 6A max. I really would not want to risk 10A on those flimsy-looking domestic 2-pin sockets they have over there. I've already toasted a couple of UK 13A sockets by running at 10A...

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
323 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
The other heavy duty leads below are a much better solution.
Agreed. The weak point in the 'holiday' adapters is the internal receivers for the 13amp pins. Using a typical UK flylead 13amp socket solves that. But the main weakpoint is still the flimsy continental two pins that are on the leads' plug end. Asking those two pins to carry 10 amps for hours is where the problem remains despite using a Tough Leads item. I would tend to follow @HandyAndy and use a granny charger that is capable of reducing the current to 6 amps. Which incidentally also reduces any risk by using a cheap adaptor instead of a more expensive fly lead. There is also usually an additional problem in using a holiday home domestic socket. It can require a 25 metre extension cable to reach from indoors to the car parking site. Another source of problems, and to be avoided.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
A couple of years ago I went to France with our Leaf 30. We got a 15m heavy duty 32 amp commando lead with three pin socket for use with caravans. We then bought an EU socket to commando adapter. Worked a treat.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
I really would not want to risk 10A on those flimsy-looking domestic 2-pin sockets they have over there. I've already toasted a couple of UK 13A sockets by running at 10A...
They are called Schuko and support 16A (if correct cabling is used) and come in two shapes: either earthed or not, although since quite a number of years it is mandatory to have all sockets earthed. The Schuko connection is sturdier and longer lasting than the 3-pin plugs in the UK, and let's not talk about the US system at all <shudder>.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,904 Posts
They are called Schuko and support 16A (if correct cabling is used) and come in two shapes: either earthed or not, although since quite a number of years it is mandatory to have all sockets earthed. The Schuko connection is sturdier and longer lasting than the 3-pin plugs in the UK, and let's not talk about the US system at all <shudder>.
But Schuko connections are not immune to ageing and failure under load like UK ones. I have never received any confirmation of electrical safety when renting properties abroad (or the UK) so would have no confidence in pulling anything like the rated 16A from them for any period of time without specific assurance.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
346 Posts
I bought a UK socket to Schuko plug adapter lead from a caravan/camping shop. This then enables the granny charger to work from European mains sockets.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
But Schuko connections are not immune to ageing and failure under load like UK ones. I have never received any confirmation of electrical safety when renting properties abroad (or the UK) so would have no confidence in pulling anything like the rated 16A from them for any period of time without specific assurance.

You're right not to trust any socket just by looking at it. I just don't agree with you describing the Schuko system as 'flimsy' whereas IMO they are sturdier than the UK 3-pin. The 13A protection of the UK plug is moreover also prone to fail after years of use and can catch fire just as well, so it's false protection in my opinion.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Made up my own 2-pin to 13A socket by recycling a heavy-duty computer cable already moulded to the continental plug. But I stuck to only running at 6A max. I really would not want to risk 10A on those flimsy-looking domestic 2-pin sockets they have over there. I've already toasted a couple of UK 13A sockets by running at 10A...
Very wise! When I lived in Italy my rented Italian flat had three types of plug.. the flimsy two pin, a slightly more robust one with three larger pins and some Schuko outlets. I'm sory Xinix but I wasn't too impressed with them either. The additional issue in Italy is whether the house's whole system could cope: my flat had a nominal 3kW maximum and the meter, not the board, actually tripped and needed a reset at 3.3kW. To get a 6kW limit you would have to pay more.. I imagine larger houses and villas would tend to have more, or 3 phase? Either way I wouldn't plan to trickle charge over there.

Good idea about a home-made cable, so I'm off to my box of bits to see if I've still got any of my old Italian stuff.

Edit: result! Found a 10-16A lead and plug from an old computer power block. But my existing granny runs at 10A so don't know if it's all a viable option.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
FWIW some EVs can set the current. I think ID.3 limits it to 6A if you select reduced power for the domestic/type 2. So that would be fine on a 10A only EVSE. Or get one than can be set.

Reactions: cah197
1 - 20 of 21 Posts