Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gonna do a top 10 then realised the effort involved!

So instead I thought, why not invite the community to post the best & worst ZS accessory they've seen on Aliexpress. Bonus point if you actually bought it & it was good.

I'll start us off:

Best:
Shark fin aerial - comes in several shades & isn't a whippy aerial, what's not to like? All I'm waiting for is the inevitable youtube fitting guide then I will order one. :)

Worst:
It was a close run thing (although I do like the body coloured door handles, not found them yet)...behold 'Color Name: B'!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I was gonna do a top 10 then realised the effort involved!

So instead I thought, why not invite the community to post the best & worst ZS accessory they've seen on Aliexpress. Bonus point if you actually bought it & it was good.

I'll start us off:

Best:
Shark fin aerial - comes in several shades & isn't a whippy aerial, what's not to like? All I'm waiting for is the inevitable youtube fitting guide then I will order one. :)

Worst:
It was a close run thing (although I do like the body coloured door handles, not found them yet)...behold 'Color Name: B'!
View attachment 129633

I like the idea of the sharks fin arial !.
Tesla Bjorn thinks the “wip” arial produces a howling noise in the wind.
Do you know if the sharks fin is compatible with the ZS EV ???.
One in one out job !.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It covers the lower part of the aerial assembly, i.e. the black lump at the bottom.

AFAIK you detach (unscrew ?) the whip part of your existing aerial, screw the shark fin cable to the now vacant thread, peel off the sticker & position it.

There are (much) cheaper options, but this one looks to be the closest colour match to the ZS, certainly the red anyway.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I hope you won't be disappointed - the blurb says :

"Shark Fin Antenna Radio AM/FM Signal"

No mention of DAB or GPS ... which are completely different frequency bands from AM and FM frequencies

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
GPS comes through the aerial?

As for DAB, I'm not a radio fan at all, podcasts or music, that's it, wouldn't miss it. Good to know though.

Also, with Aliexpress, don't place a huge amount of faith in the descriptions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually looking at the ZS in the warmish light of day, there's not a lot of clearance at the back of the aerial before the lip of the roof...Not really clear in the photos how deep the shark fin is at the back...

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I hope you won't be disappointed - the blurb says :

"Shark Fin Antenna Radio AM/FM Signal"

No mention of DAB or GPS ... which are completely different frequency bands from AM and FM frequencies
Good spot @davesul .
I would like to exchange the current “Whip” arial for the Sharks Fin type though.
Unless the colour is a “Bang On”.
I would go for an alternative, say black ????.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aye sadly that's impossible to tell, even with a calibrated monitor as the camera could be poor at colour reproduction, that said, it is about the closest I've seen. The generic ones are well off.

Shame we don't know what MG call their paint colours domestically, as this seems to refer to the colours as 'sport', which may or not be what MG call metallic/tricoat.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Aye sadly that's impossible to tell, even with a calibrated monitor as the camera could be poor at colour reproduction, that said, it is about the closest I've seen. The generic ones are well off.

Shame we don't know what MG call their paint colours domestically, as this seems to refer to the colours as 'sport', which may or not be what MG call metallic/tricoat.
The paint code is the same every where.
The actual colour maybe given a different “Name” in another country, but the paint code follows the car around the world.
The paint code can be found on an ID plate ( sticker ) on the B pillar.
It is just below the drivers door receiver catch, when you open the door ( In the U.K. at least ).
This will be required when ordering a OEM paint touch up kit from MG.
Dynamic Red in the U.K. has a paint code of :-
5RSJ

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually looking at the ZS in the warmish light of day, there's not a lot of clearance at the back of the aerial before the lip of the roof...Not really clear in the photos how deep the shark fin is at the back...
Noticed this as well, might wait to see posted pictures on here if possible,but I am tempted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The paint code is the same every where.
The actual colour maybe given a different “Name” in another country, but the paint code follows the car around the world.
The paint code can be found on an ID plate ( sticker ) on the B pillar.
It is just below the drivers door receiver catch, when you open the door ( In the U.K. at least ).
This will be required when ordering a OEM paint touch up kit from MG.
Dynamic Red in the U.K. has a paint code of :-
5RSJ
I see what you mean, however the domestic showrooms or brochures won't sell you 5RSJ Red, it'll be guff like dynamic, sport, synergy etc. That'll be what the 3rd party sellers will reference if they mention it at all. Sadly, I've not seen a paint code on any accessory there yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I ordered a set of these earlier in the week, cannot comment on quality etc yet, will likely take about a month or so to turn up, but I am in no hurry.

I like the door sill plates.
Had them on my previous car.
They do offer some protection to the paint finish of the door shuts.
I have the MG ones fitted to the front only.
Good quality, but a lot more expensive at £40.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I see what you mean, however the domestic showrooms or brochures won't sell you 5RSJ Red, it'll be guff like dynamic, sport, synergy etc.
Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean here ?.
Your local MG parts department WILL ask you to verify the OEM paint code for your actual car when ordering paint.
An automotive paint supplier will do the same, they mix paint by it’s official paint code.
They are not interested in the “Name” of the colour.
The same colour maybe used by a sister company and call it by a completely different name.
E.G. - A VW Polo painted in shade of blue, maybe the same colour on Skoda / Audi but they will all have a different “Show Room” colour name at the dealership.
They will not allow anybody to order paint by it’s known “Show Room” colour.
Only by it’s paint code reference numbers.
My guess is the arial cover will be painted in a basic solid colour.
Can’t see them colouring / painting them in an expensive Tri - Coat finish ???.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Here is the OEM paint from MG.
You notice there is NO reference to the colour, only the official paint code on the packaging.

47BD187F-4A41-4528-B1E4-E776B42DD736.jpeg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean here ?.

They will not allow anybody to order paint by it’s known “Show Room” colour.
Only by it’s paint code reference numbers.
When I went to the MG site to first look at the car it showed the premium colour options as Dynamic Red & Pimlico Blue - the showroom name - so Joe Public (and me) now knows the ZS EV red as Dynamic red.

3rd party accessory sellers want to sell direct to the public, so they refer to it like the public do, eg in the UK, Dynamic Red, not the trade paint code.

My point was that the seller refers to 'Sport' before the colour. I was just wondering if that could be the chinese, showroom name for upgraded paint options such as metallics, tri-coat etc. If so, there's a fighting chance it'll be matched.

Can’t see them colouring / painting them in an expensive Tri - Coat finish ???.
They don't have to, they can spray it metallic & single clear coat though, AFAIK that 3rd 'tri' coat is extra coat of clear no? Of course who's to say the red they use 5RSJ. But it does look a lot closer than say this:

Assuming the colour is close enough, if you really wanted it to be tri I dare say you could apply another coat with a tin or have a friendly chat with your local bodyshop when it arrives. I'm not that concerned though.

If you want 100% colour match guaranteed then I think you would probably be looking at official, or bespoke painted accessories only. It's the only way to be sure!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts