Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Chaps
A recent edition of Auto Express pits the MG ZS EV against the latest incarnation of the Nissan Leaf - and it managed to match or beat in most categories. Interestingly, the industry experts Auto Express consulted stated that, in their opinion, the MG ZS EV would retain a higher percentage of residual value after 3 years/36k miles, than would the Leaf. The figures shown were 47.9% (£12,925) for the MG, with 38.2% (£10,688) for the Leaf. Perhaps better than anticipated for the MG? Auto Express also pointed out that the quality gap (although present) wasn't the yawning chasm one might expect...........

Maybe a good dose of Waxoyl asap after initial purchase might just turn the MG into even more of a potential bargain?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
At least the MG shows where the petrol stations are so it must be better. . :unsure:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Pre-production (19 plate) ZS EVs were apparently tweaked compared to the ones starting to be delivered. Hence the 7.4s to 60, vs manuf spec of 8.ts.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Maybe a good dose of Waxoyl asap after initial purchase might just turn the MG into even more of a potential bargain?
before I receive mine, I will look into underbody sealing services, waxoyl being one of the traditional ones.
After, I'll also be considering paint protection, tinting the rear windows, and changing all incandescent lamps to LEDs (except the headlamps unless I can find some which are technically fully compatible and thus within the spirit if not the letter of the law).

·
Registered
899 Posts
Never switched bulbs to LEDs before.

Can it confuse the car by drawing lower wattage?
for things like indicators and brakes it might, if they're fully canbus controlled then the switch measures the current drawer and will report the lamp as faulty. thus ironically some LEDs have an additional parallel resistor to increase the current draw (wasting power as heat) to fool the canbus monitoring!

internal lamps almost certainly won't be monitored, I'm thinking of the light in the boot and in the ceiling, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Have a crash in the Leaf and your kids in the rear seats stand an actual chance of walking away unharmed. The same can’t be said for the MG. Google the EuroNCAP test results. Not particularly pleasant reading.
MG don’t like this being mentioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
before I receive mine, I will look into underbody sealing services, waxoyl being one of the traditional ones.
After, I'll also be considering paint protection, tinting the rear windows, and changing all incandescent lamps to LEDs (except the headlamps unless I can find some which are technically fully compatible and thus within the spirit if not the letter of the law).
Have you had any response from MG/dealer as to if applying underseal will invalidate warranty? Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And what if your whole family choose/decide to travel exclusively by cycle? What of their chances then?

It's entirely possible you may get cleaned up simply crossing the road. You take chances each and every day. That's life. I suspect the vast majority of car buyers don't even consider whether they'll survive a crash in the car they're about to buy. Some folk do plan for worst case scenarios, but most do not.

·
Registered
475 Posts
And what if your whole family choose/decide to travel exclusively by cycle? What of their chances then?

It's entirely possible you may get cleaned up simply crossing the road. You take chances each and every day. That's life. I suspect the vast majority of car buyers don't even consider whether they'll survive a crash in the car they're about to buy. Some folk do plan for worst case scenarios, but most do not.

It’s no coincidence that car manufacturers spend millions developing crash and safety protection beyond the basic EU requirements. It’s something most people, particularly parents, consider when choosing a new car. If you don’t you’re in the minority. Protecting my family is a priority. It’s possible to mitigate much of the risk. The ZS doesn’t do as much of that as it could for passenger or pedestrian.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'm with the minority as I have no wife or kids etc....

I've not seen the crash protection data for the MG EV. I guess it's a trade-off then, as the MG costs considerably less than it's direct competitors. As is sometimes said, you pays yer money etc...........

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I looked at the data, and also looked at the list comprising the safest family cars simply out of idle curiosity. My own car - a Ford Focus - was on the list, but again the thought of how well (or not) it might survive a crash never occurred to me as I purchased it. The major factor in my purchasing decision was the size of it's boot, followed by driving comfort. As a hobby I build and sail model boats, some of which can be 6 foot or so long, plus I occasionally drive some distance to shows and exhibitions etc.

The crash data wouldn't in itself necessarily put me off buying an MG ZS EV, but being quite new to the market I'd want to see how the brand performed over the next year or two. There is also the fact that it isn't always the best idea to jump in and be the first to buy something new to the market. Pioneers sometimes end up with arrows in their arse........

·
Registered
64 Posts
This test report is for the petrol ZS from 2yrs ago. It did not have the safety suite the EV has which is one reason it had the lower score. It is there fore not totally relevant to the Ev. model.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This test report is for the petrol ZS from 2yrs ago. It did not have the safety suite the EV has which is one reason it had the lower score. It is there fore not totally relevant to the Ev. model.
Not so. Had the addition to the existing range introduced any material change then a new test would be required.
The current test covers the entire current ZS lineup until further testing is completed. Manufacturers only have to provide one vehicle to cover the full range. If they want model-specific testing it’s there for the asking.

The “safety suite” as you put it will do nothing to improve the poor standard of rear seat passenger safety.

Admittedly this won’t bother some. But for many it’ll be a deal-breaker. Me for one.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,836 Posts
@SJF73 can I ask why you even bother to post in the ZS section if the car isn't for you?

Good luck with your presumption that your 7 year old tested Leaf is better in an accident than anything more recent. The fact is tests get more stringent each year. Your 5 star Leaf may in fact now be a 3 star leaf if retested.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To be fair to the LEAF, the 2018 chassis is physically very similar to the 2011 one, and both scored >90% adult and >80% child occupancy on NCAP.

·
Registered
475 Posts
@SJF73 can I ask why you even bother to post in the ZS section if the car isn't for you?

Good luck with your presumption that your 7 year old tested Leaf is better in an accident than anything more recent. The fact is tests get more stringent each year. Your 5 star Leaf may in fact now be a 3 star leaf if retested.
Literally no idea what you’re talking about.

1. Never owned a Leaf. Never would.
2. We’re talking about current crash test standards not future or past - There are very few cars launched recently that score as poorly as the ZS for rear seat passenger safety.

I wasn’t aware the MG section was private. That’s the Chinese for you I guess!

There’s quite a lot of opinion being thrown around by some here as if it’s actual fact.
My posting the EuroNCAP test should serve to help those interested in its results make an informed decision.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts