Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a good few miles on the standard fitment Nexen N'Fera SU1. These feel to be a bit on the heavy side and do seem slightly noisy. Plus they are not marked for best fuel efficiency (C) and wet braking (B).

Probably leaning more towards the first. These two options are my current slelection:-

Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 (B) (A)
or possibly
Michelin CC+ (C) (B)

Am not at all familiar with the Goodyears and would like to learn more.

But have had the older CC's on an ICE car and they were well behaved and quiet. The all season aspect of the CC's is not really so critical these days.

For a fair compromise on comfort, economy, quietness and good driving performance which way would be best to go?

Any other recommedations or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,557 Posts
The michelin EV tyres aren't bad either. I had a set on the Zoe and they were streets ahead of the Nexens that were on the Soul I had. They're not Cross Climate good but they weren't noticeably terrible, unlike the Nexens.

I put a set of Cross Climates on the Zoe and they were great. I've also put a set on the Leaf and they've made it far better to drive. The Dunlop Eco tyres were useless and probably nearly as bad as Nexens.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The michelin EV tyres aren't bad either. I had a set on the Zoe and they were streets ahead of the Nexens that were on the Soul I had. They're not Cross Climate good but they weren't noticeably terrible, unlike the Nexens.

I put a set of Cross Climates on the Zoe and they were great. I've also put a set on the Leaf and they've made it far better to drive. The Dunlop Eco tyres were useless and probably nearly as bad as Nexens.
Thanks...

I liked the previous generation CC's but did notice they needed to be used very frequently to avoid a tread to wall 'cracking' pattern developing. Not so sure about this with the current version though.

One of the things holding me back from going with the newer CC+'s is that they're only readily available in 98 (W) XL load rating whereas the Nexens are rated 94 (Y). Are these changes in ratings still a safe and legal fitment?

Does anyone know what general effect this increase in load rating would have on the CC+'s overall performance?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,557 Posts
You'd have to check the handbook for the speed rating required. 98 is greater than 94 so that's fine. XL tyres seem to be tougher anyway. With today's roads you need armoured rims!

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
You'd have to check the handbook for the speed rating required. 98 is greater than 94 so that's fine. XL tyres seem to be tougher anyway. With today's roads you need armoured rims!
The speed rating will be irrelevant unless you add another gear to your 2020 Kia Soul🤗
Sorry about the bad joke and reference to other forum threads.
What is a W rating good for, 150mph or something?.
What's the Souls maximum speed?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
The speed rating will be irrelevant unless you add another gear to your 2020 Kia Soul🤗
Sorry about the bad joke and reference to other forum threads.
What is a W rating good for, 150mph or something?.
What's the Souls maximum speed?
To answer my own question, W is rated for 168moh. Presumably the Kia Soul would be flying at that speed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
20200518_155959.jpg

The door plate refers to a V (149 mph) speed rating and the User Manual Table above also includes W (168 mph) rating.

Table:
Load Index Kg

Load Index.PNG

It appears that a higher speed rating is permissible as is a higher load rating.

One other candidate could be the Uniroyal Rainsport 5?

Stll wondering how much difference the higher ratings would make to comfort vs performace...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided on Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 in the end.

Due to be fitted this afternoon so will post some first impressions soon...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Decided on Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 in the end.

Due to be fitted this afternoon so will post some first impressions soon...
I'm a bit late in seeing this thread... great choice of tyre. I've tried many different brands/models over the years in various different cars. And I now always default to Goodyear EfficientGrip's. They are brilliant, especially in the wet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the insight to the Goodyear’s. Am hoping for a positive result from these second generation ones.

The Nexens were not really up to the job. And my experience with Michelin’s in general except the ccs was that they were. For want of a better description a bit plasticy noisy and gave little notice of any tendency to breakaway.

The day before yesterday was a bit of a washout on brand new tyres with mould release agent likely still on them. Plus on the newly wet roads after so much dry weather along with uneven pressures. It was so slippy and slidey there were no reliable indicators to be had.

Yesterday however went a bit better. Set all tires to recommend pressures and drove home from the garage at same speed as usual. Did notice some initial promise of competent quiet good behaviour though.

My observation is that it takes say 3 to 400 miles to get a property meaningful insight to longer term behaviour.

More definitive feedback in due course...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the insight to the Goodyear’s. Am hoping for a positive result from these second generation ones.

The Nexens were not really up to the job. And my experience with Michelin’s in general except the ccs was that they were. For want of a better description a bit plasticy noisy and gave little notice of any tendency to breakaway.

The day before yesterday was a bit of a washout on brand new tyres with mould release agent likely still on them. Plus on the newly wet roads after so much dry weather along with uneven pressures. It was so slippy and slidey there were no reliable indicators to be had.

Yesterday however went a bit better. Set all tires to recommend pressures and drove home from the garage at same speed as usual. Did notice some initial promise of competent quiet good behaviour though.

My observation is that it takes say 3 to 400 miles to get a property meaningful insight to longer term behaviour.

More definitive feedback in due course...
yep - I ran them on a previous Subaru (4WD) and the grip levels was fanstatic from after about 500miles.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I drove my Soul today in the rain on its OE tyres (Nexen's) and they are rubbish!
Hopefully they wear down quick by winter and I can then justify getting the EfficientGrip's all round.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pondered this question at some length and concluded the Nexens were truly a bit of a hazard. Even more so in the wet.

We had an ICE Sportage for a good few years and that was a tool well up to the task it was bought for. Near flawless in its fitness for purpose.

Of late though recent car purchases have had a small element of toy about them. An indulgence perhaps but not completely without some small justifications.

Bought the wife a Lexus UX as prior to all this covid stuff she was spending more and more time in a car just that bit below par for the expanding usage model. One genuinely notable aspect of the UX though, from various loan and service vehicles, was a clear and pronounced sensitivity to tire fitment. But without losing much composure and fluidity in the overall driving experience.

So back back to the Soul. With a first and so far abiding impression. And knowing that KIA don’t position themselves as a so called premium brand. One of my key hopes for these new tyres was that they would reduce the level of what I will refer to colloquially as jigglynes.

Ok the car has done slightly less than 1k miles and its tyres are again brand new but this annoying jiggly attribute remains entirely unwelcome.

Does anyone have any relevant insights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Michelin Cross-Climate -for both comfort and winter performance. I had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV prior to buying my Soul EV and it too came with what I thought were poor tyres (Toyo). Replaced with the Michelins as soon as my man maths would justify it and intend to do the same with the Soul. Huge improvement on the Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
39 Posts
... One of my key hopes for these new tyres was that they would reduce the level of what I will refer to colloquially as jigglynes.

Ok the car has done slightly less than 1k miles and its tyres are again brand new but this annoying jiggly attribute remains entirely unwelcome.

Does anyone have any relevant insights?
My only disappointment with the Soul is the ride, particularly on B roads. Is it jiggly or is it bouncy, hard to say, but it's definitely unsettled. I was hoping the tyres had been over pumped for transportation (the solution for a new Audi a while back) but annoyingly the tyre pressures were spot on.

I'd be willing to splash out on new tyres if I knew it would improve the ride, but it could be the springs or the dampers. I changed the tyres on a Honda Jazz to Michelin Cross Climates and it transformed the ride.

Maybe you or I could get this forum to crowdfund a tyre swap to gain some meaningful insights? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My only disappointment with the Soul is the ride, particularly on B roads. Is it jiggly or is it bouncy, hard to say, but it's definitely unsettled. I was hoping the tyres had been over pumped for transportation (the solution for a new Audi a while back) but annoyingly the tyre pressures were spot on.

I'd be willing to splash out on new tyres if I knew it would improve the ride, but it could be the springs or the dampers. I changed the tyres on a Honda Jazz to Michelin Cross Climates and it transformed the ride.

Maybe you or I could get this forum to crowdfund a tyre swap to gain some meaningful insights? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My tyres were 40 psi all round on delivery. Happy they were at that level for a couple of months sitting at Immingham for COVID but non-existent PDI from the garage!
33 has definitely improved the ride but still, as you say, a bit jiggly. These tyres are optimised for range not grip or comfort.
I have kept an eye on all the various reviews and some cars do appear to have michelins fitted but the UK ones all look to have Nexens.
I will keep them for the moment but any excuse (puncture!) and I will get Michelin Cross-Climates.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,557 Posts
The old Soul was jiggly as well. It was like driving a pogo stick.

Does the new Soul EV have a proper multi link rear suspension or the cheaper torsion beam?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The old Soul was jiggly as well. It was like driving a pogo stick.

Does the new Soul EV have a proper multi link rear suspension or the cheaper torsion beam?
It does have independent rear multi link suspension.

I think was on EV rides again I saw a video of some Korean tweaks. One of them was some very fancy looking coil and damper setups.

Not sure which vehicle they were for but will try and find it again...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I recently fitted Michelin Cross-Climates to our Soul, we lived with the Nexens until they needed replacing but in comparison we now realise they were dangerous in rain and snow!
The Michelin Cross-Climates are much better in those conditions however I am beginning to wonder if the ones I have been sold could be from a faulty batch and possibly the rubber has not been correctly vulcanised.

I have a problem with them I have never encountered ever with any tyre. We have a gravel drive made from typically 20mm stones, Dozens and I do mean Dozens of stones get stuck fast to the contact patch of all four tyres if we leave the car parked for more than a few days.

The first time it happened we drove out onto the road and the vibration made me think something major had broken!
I now have to drive forward half a rotation then use a metal scraper to clear them every time we go out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts