Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,527 Posts
KwikFit has the Goodyears on offer, £410 for 4 for tyres including all the extras, so had them fitted today. Too early to tell if they make any difference.
Sorry, did you fit Goodyear Efficient Grip on the Kia Soul, 17in?

Why are you saying no difference? On my GTE, the noise was improved immensely over the stock Bridgestones. I would have thought, you should easily notice the difference with the Nexens?

·
Registered
All-New Soul EV 'First Edition'
97 Posts
Yes, Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 17 inch.

The reason I say no difference yet is because I've only driven 5 miles since the swap so it would be premature to jump to a conclusion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm off to Costco next week to get 4 Michelin CrossClimates - they have a £60 off for 4 (runs 3-4 times a year) - makes it about £115 a corner.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
KwikFit has the Goodyears on offer, £410 for 4 for tyres including all the extras, so had them fitted today. Too early to tell if they make any difference.
Please let me know when you think you can make a judgement. Very close to a decision to purchase now with the Soul and the cost of changing the tyres to the GYs is already factored into my costings based on this thread.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What extras?

They're ~£93 each fully fitted via BlackCircles.com

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please let me know when you think you can make a judgement. Very close to a decision to purchase now with the Soul and the cost of changing the tyres to the GYs is already factored into my costings based on this thread.
Whereabouts are you? I could take you out for a drive?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Really? I just looked on Black circle and they're £120 in the required size

View attachment 134179

Extras included in the price were balancing, valve stems and disposal
Ah - wrong size! Sorry. I was looking up for the older Soul.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
Whereabouts are you? I could take you out for a drive?
That's really kind of you but the chances of you being close by are slim and I would not want you travelling any distance just to take me for a spin in your car.

For the record, I am in West Yorkshire - not the M62 corridor bit, I am just north of the SY border, 2 junctions up the A1 from Doncaster.

I have already decided that I will change my tyres to GY when I take the plunge and buy the Soul. I was just looking for a quick nod that it is an improvement on the Nexens.

Many thanks for the offer though :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
You're right, although I was on the other side in Whitby a couple of weeks ago, with the Soul driving from Cambridge with plenty of battery remaining.

I've been out again. The Goodyear seems a little noisier if I’m honest but not by enough to complain. There's no discernable change to the ride. The steering feels more precise with better feedback.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
You're right, although I was on the other side in Whitby a couple of weeks ago, with the Soul driving from Cambridge with plenty of battery remaining.

I've been out again. The Goodyear seems a little noisier if I’m honest but not by enough to complain. There's no discernable change to the ride. The steering feels more precise with better feedback.
Hmm, that's not necessarily the glowing endorsement I was hoping for, for my 400 notes. Maybe the improvements will shine through soon.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts

Are you still experiencing a noisier ride on the GY's Marksla, compared to the Nexens?. Just ordered my Soul today and may decide to sit it out for a bit on the tyre swap if there is no obvious improvement in bounciness and noise. May just see how it goes.

TIA

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,527 Posts
Are you still experiencing a noisier ride on the GY's Marksla, compared to the Nexens?. Just ordered my Soul today and may decide to sit it out for a bit on the tyre swap if there is no obvious improvement in bounciness and noise. May just see how it goes.

TIA
Unless you have 4 tyres just laying around...:), I would not bother.

But that is my plan... for the first 10k or 15k it will have to be the Nexen's...

On the other hand I have seen the difference the GY tyres did for the quietness of my GTE! Mind you, the original tyres were Bridgestones and they were well worn by the time I swapped them after 15k miles. So, the change could have been purely wear related...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
Unless you have 4 tyres just laying around...:), I would not bother.

But that is my plan... for the first 10k or 15k it will have to be the Nexen's...

On the other hand I have seen the difference the GY tyres did for the quietness of my GTE! Mind you, the original tyres were Bridgestones and they were well worn by the time I swapped them after 15k miles. So, the change could have been purely wear related...
Thing is, the Nexen's do get an atriocious write up and with all that torque on the front wheels, I a little apprehensive about taking it into winter with tyres not up to the job. I don't want to have to drive around like my grandma because I don't trust the tyres to hold the road. Based on a couple of really positive write ups of the GYs on here, I am going to easily tempted. It just threw me somewhat with Marksla's non 100% endorsement.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The GYs aren't the revelation I was hoping for, but maybe my expectations were too high, like thinking they'd transform the handling into a Porsche Boxster and the ride into a Citroen BX.

I drove 80 miles yesterday. Obviously it's subjective, there's no measurement with instruments, but road noise and ride haven't improved. I was hoping for improvement on the ride on the basis the sidewalls would be more flexible and each wheel about 1kg lighter.

However steering feel, weight and accuracy is much better.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
The GYs aren't the revelation I was hoping for, but maybe my expectations were too high, like thinking they'd transform the handling into a Porsche Boxster and the ride into a Citroen BX.

I drove 80 miles yesterday. Obviously it's subjective, there's no measurement with instruments, but road noise and ride haven't improved. I was hoping for improvement on the ride on the basis the sidewalls would be more flexible and each wheel about 1kg lighter.

However steering feel, weight and accuracy is much better.
OK - Thanks Marksla. Noted.

Can I ask - what is the exact spec you got - i.e. what weight measurement and are there multiple options?. Are they the 215/55 R17 W(94) you quoted further up?

Of the others who have swapped, can you confirm yours please. Are they the same?

Thanks

Must admit, I am not a tyre expert, so have no idea what difference the weight measurement is supposed to make. For years now, the process has been to go to the local tyre place when time comes to swap out, he asks what I want, and my reply is 'something mid range'. That's as technical as it gets.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, the 215/55 R17 W(94). There is an XL but I thought that would be stiffer and degrade the ride.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
33 Posts
There's an interesting new review of all-season tyres over at Tyre Reviews, using the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 as the reference summer tyre.

It's well worth watching the video, but all of the test results are on the website.

2020 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test

41 - 59 of 59 Posts