Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For this that are interested, here are the sales for last month (Feb 2021), in Germany. How does it compare with the UK? Interesting to see the Leaf so low down the list!

https://www.goingelectric.de/zulassungs ... 1 / February /

BEV figures from February 2021 in Germany:

• Volkswagen e-up! 2215
  • Tesla Model 3 1910
  • Volkswagen ID.3 1892
  • Renault ZOE 1424
  • Hyundai Kona Elektro 1315
  • smart fortwo electric drive 1245
  • BMW i3 BEV 849
  • Audi e-tron quattro 826
  • Peugeot e-208 596
  • Opel Corsa-e 592
  • Mini Cooper SE Elektro 585
  • Fiat 500 463
  • Volkswagen e-Golf 381
  • Kia Niro EV 348
  • Skoda Citigo e 344
  • smart forfour electric drive 305
  • Peugeot e-2008 280
  • Porsche Taycan 270
  • Volkswagen ID.4 248
  • Seat Mii electric 246
  • Nissan Leaf 235
  • Renault Twingo Electric 231
  • Kia Soul EV 212
  • Mercedes EQC 197
  • Hyundai IONIQ Elektro 132
  • Polestar 2 103
  • Mazda MX-30 70
  • Mercedes EQV 52
  • Opel Mokka-e 46
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge Elektro 45
  • Jaguar I-Pace 39
  • BMW iX3 35
  • Honda E 34
  • Opel Zafira-e 19
  • Mercedes eVito 12
  • DS Automobiles DS3 Crossback E-Tense 12
  • Nissan e-NV200 10
  • Mercedes EQA 9
  • Tesla Model X 7
  • Peugeot e-Expert 7
  • Opel Ampera-e 4
  • Tesla Model S 1

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Watched (via google translate) a recent next move video, didn't quite get it (due to dodgy translation and my lack of German) but seems there's a fiddle going on with the subsidy system ?

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
148 Posts
I'm just surprised so many people bought a Smart EV- with official range that makes an early Leaf look like a Tesla!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watched (via google translate) a recent next move video, didn't quite get it (due to dodgy translation and my lack of German) but seems there's a fiddle going on with the subsidy system ?
There is some suspicion that dealers are registering cars as demo models to increase the amount of cars registered. I can imagine that might have caused a blip early on in the life cycle of sales, but I can't imagine they would keep it up for long.

Otherwise the subsidy system is working more or less as designed. Buyer stumps up the cash, then claims it back from the government after proving that they will keep the car in Germany for a certain amount of time. I think there was also some attempt to get the subsidy and then bugger off with the car to some other country, but that loophole has been tied up.

Far as I can work out (not being in the trade myself) there is no fiddle, just various rumours of one that can't really be proved.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just surprised so many people bought a Smart EV- with official range that makes an early Leaf look like a Tesla!
Far as I can tell, this is a second car in Germany. Ideal in cities that are banning diesel engines and offer free parking for EV's. The real question would be how many of those people who bought the Smart EV work for Mercedes and get a rebate on the price?

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Taycan cross turismo in a few years time with better software and a broader charging network, retirement car for me ... as long as that jacked up suspension can be lowered and I can work out what to do with those plastic add on bits (yuck). I think they will sell bucket loads of them over here in the UK, the coupe is already their 2nd best selling car here.

Good for them, I hope it encourages other manufacturers that the transition to BEV isn't already doom and gloom

Reactions: EV Believer

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do MG sell on the continent? I know they were initially relaunched in the UK more as PR for the Chinese sales, and then did better than expected, so have ended up being reasonable sellers and reasonably popular.

Regarding the Smarts- why have such a hobbled 2nd car when you could get an e-Up/Citigo-E/Mii electric? Similar money, over double the range.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
455 Posts
Surprised the Zoe is doing that well in Germany but I guess it is a decent package for the price.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I seem to remember seeing something about the way that the tax incentives worked, you could get a Zoe for next to nothing in Germany on a lease. Something to do with the federal tax refund basically all going towards the lease payments?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The ID4 outsold the Leaf!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do MG sell on the continent? I know they were initially relaunched in the UK more as PR for the Chinese sales, and then did better than expected, so have ended up being reasonable sellers and reasonably popular.

Regarding the Smarts- why have such a hobbled 2nd car when you could get an e-Up/Citigo-E/Mii electric? Similar money, over double the range.
No MG dealers in Germany at the moment. One of the reasons I didn't bother looking further into this car. They will probably get one of the independent dealership chains to represent them at some point, but there's no news on this at the moment.

The E-No is a really popular car, but the smart attracts a lot of custom in Germany as the marketing is strong and of course it's seen as a more upmarket car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I seem to remember seeing something about the way that the tax incentives worked, you could get a Zoe for next to nothing in Germany on a lease. Something to do with the federal tax refund basically all going towards the lease payments?
I looked into this, but I could find one single dealer that offered anything close to this deal. The only one that came close was on the other side of the country and wanted some astronomical up front fees.

So this rumour seems to be mostly myth.

Same for the Leaf. In the U.S. I keep reading about deals to lease a Leaf at such a low price some people were getting two, but in Germany the best deal I could find was about the same money per month for a three year lease as it was to buy it over five years, with a decent deposit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts