Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've previously loved my various BMWs having owned quite a few different models, so when I decided to think about going electric I thought I'd go with a trusted make, BMW, but initially go for a hybrid so I bought a BMW 535 ActiveHybrid5 M-Tech Sport. It was second hand but had full BMW service history and was only 4 years old with average mileage for the year. I even took out a separate warranty just to give me peace of mind in case anything major went on it such as the battery during the first year I owned it, especially as it wasn't from a BMW dealer. All my services were from BMW however when one day my car wouldn't start and the AA thought it may be the alternator, I asked them to transport it to my local BMW dealer.
Unfortunately after 2 hours of investigation and then them requiring a technician from BMW UK to check it out, they told me it was the EME controller, which was a major and very expensive part, I found out -. £4k!
The local BMW dealer said they would put in a goodwill request to BMW UK to pay for the part and labour, as in their view (as well as mine) this shouldn't be a part needing replacement within what was now a 6-year-old car, however, BMW UK stated that they would not pay for it as I should have taken out some additional insurance to cover this.

I find this really ridiculous as who would expect such a major technical fault on a part which is not caused by general wear and tear to happen within 6 years of what BMW are trying to market as the future in hybrid and electric cars.

They are turning their backs on their design faults instead of giving confidence and peace of mind to their customers that electric or hybrid is the future, so from my very poor and disappointing experience I would advise others considering buying a hybrid or electric car from BMW to definitely steer well clear of BMW, and as for after-sales service I can assure you that the BMW UK aftersale manager was anything but helpful or concerned with customer care. It was like dealing with an old fashioned cowboy car salesman.

If going electric look at a manufacturer that has a better reputation in electric vehicles and don't go by a previous track record in petrol or diesel models.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Mention the Consumer Rights Act to them, there is no way they can get out of not paying the bulk of the cost.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You can’t really expect them to help when you didn’t buy the car from a dealer. If you want the after sales support of the dealer then you need to buy from one. I’ve no doubt they would’ve helped if they had supplied the car. It would’ve also come with a full warranty.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Similar issues on four year old BMWs caused by design faults were never covered by BMW, eg the location of various controllers totalling £3k in the spare wheel well on the E61. The attitude was that BMW owners enjoy the cost of ownership as it's a premium experience.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
It appears to have been two years after the OP purchased the car from an unauthorised dealer. So I'm not sure that many manufacturers would cover things on a car that age.
I can understand their upset however. I bet that there are people capable of fitting a part from a breaker and reflashing any vin coded chips. Try a HEVRA garage when they open after this madness.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,699 Posts
Nothing new this, same with other Manufacturers after warranty runs out, had similar experiences

·
Registered
308 Posts
It’s six years old! What do you expect long past the warranty and not purchased from a dealer
Engineering and quality which is fit for purpose, so that critical, high value components last the life of the vehicle.

Controllers shouldn't be failing at 6 years and if they do, replacements even if repaired or refurbished should be available at reasonable cost.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
replacements even if repaired or refurbished should be available at reasonable cost
I agree from an ethical and environmental perspective, but neither are what BMW are about. They became fashion items years ago and as long as they last for the period that the dealerships have them then they are satisfied.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree from an ethical and environmental perspective, but neither are what BMW are about. They became fashion items years ago and as long as they last for the period that the dealerships have them then they are satisfied.
Eventually though it comes back to bite because it affects the residual value of the cars, pushing up the cost of ownership through the depreciation costs in the PCP and lease deals, if it becomes too significant then they have to act. I think we've seen that with the warranties on EVs, they all now extend out much further because people need reassurance when investing so much into a used EV - compared to an ICE where the cost of ownership is more split between the car and the fuel, with the EV your money is in the vehicle so reliability and repair-ability becomes crucial.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts