Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 25th got stuck on the way back with 5 miles left -all 3 chargers were without power at Waterstock . Got recovery to Westway Nissan and used their rapid -they are open till 6 pm .
Down the road -beaconsfield new rapids both don't recognise the charge card .

Still showing them in red today ,27/11/2014

IMG_4698.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I've found the Beaconsfield rapid on the left next to the police bay recognises my card but the one on the right doesn't.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Beaconsfield ones have been down for a long time - communication problems.

Annoyingly they don't say this, so you present your card and it then says no. If you look in the top right of the screen you will see the two connection icons have lines through them meaning there is no mobile network, and no internet connection.

Screen should say "I'm broken, don't bother" but it doesn't.

No idea when they will be fixed, Ecotricity couldn't say.

Reactions: MALINI NITAI

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I have been told in the past (and seen in practice) that if you have previously used a point when it was connected and then the connection drops you can use them again (it remembers you card, for how long or in what situations I do not know). Frustrating and not very clear, but in SOME situations you CAN use chargers down due to lack of connection.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That would make sense, as I have never successfully used it, whereas Robwiz probably did before the problems.

Reactions: MALINI NITAI

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
That would make sense, as I have never successfully used it, whereas Robwiz probably did before the problems.
Yes I had used it previously, but not the second one, which explains why it didn't recognise my card.

It's good to know though that chargers can be used if down, when it's due to loss of phone signal. I wondered why the Beaconsfield chargers were available every time I've stopped there! Mystery solved. :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Still a massively high number of rapids out of action in fact as of today there are 48 out of action,this has to be a record, Ecotricity decision to go with DBT was a very bad move and to continue with them even though there have been massive problems seems to have been a big mistake, watch out for super high prices when they start charging.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
It is bad. Has anyone seen any reports or updates about the roll-out of the perma-fix lately?
From what I remember the perma-fix should have been completed by now? This goes back to last year when the wet weather started and rapids went down. Ecotricity said they have a temp fix and that a permanent fix would be completed in the coming months.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I actually make a point, where possible, of using each charger once if I visit a site more than once, to make sure that both chargers know my card, for this exact eventuality. (Does that make sense? I know what I'm trying to say...)
In fact, if you visit a site with 2 chargers, it's probably worth presenting your card at both even if you're only connected to one, just to get it to recognise you.

Reactions: Paul and Robwiz

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
There is a very real chance that DBT could fold leaving Ecotricity high and dry so to speak, I would have much preferred if they had gone with oh lets say one of the biggest companies in the world like ABB?

I don’t know the exact deal that Nissan and Ecotricity have struck with DBT but they need to check the small print and try and find a way out of it, I know more chargers are coming on-line so the chance that there will be more faulty ones increases but it doesn’t say much that they haven’t improved reliability during this period.

As much as I love the Leaf and electric cars I really can’t recommend them to anyone who needs to rely on this service at the moment, only buy the car if you are happy to live without guaranteed fast charging because it isn’t and can’t be guaranteed.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
As much as I love the Leaf and electric cars I really can’t recommend them to anyone who needs to rely on this service at the moment, only buy the car if you are happy to live without guaranteed fast charging because it isn’t and can’t be guaranteed.
That's true but in my view the LEAF/rapid combo is probably the most dependable option currently available.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yes it is but it could be 100% better if they had listened to us all over a year ago, its still too flakey fro me to recommend it, we dont need them so its no issue for me however it still annoys me that they stuck with DBT they should have got out, its gone too far now and could possibly kill off adoption of these cars or certainly retard it a fair bit, we are not there yet but they need to get this sorted and sorted quickly.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes I had used it previously, but not the second one, which explains why it didn't recognise my card.

It's good to know though that chargers can be used if down, when it's due to loss of phone signal. I wondered why the Beaconsfield chargers were available every time I've stopped there! Mystery solved. :)
Slightly OT but this may explain why I could only get RH side Whetherby Rapid Charger to work this week with my card as I have used that one before. I wonder whether this is common problem elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So glad we've managed to avoid the flatbed of doom so far. Must be so frustrating. :(
It was frustrating but what else to do? More frustrating was Ecotricity answer"No one will fix it today " and lack of answer after I called over 20 times from Beaconsfield . I never used those new Rapids before and I am glad some work if used before. And yes ,communication icons were crossed ...

I don't understand how these whole charging scheme works-
Ecotricity installs them but who paid for them in the first place and who pays for repairs and maintenance ? What is in there for Ecotricity?

I would rather pay something for charging and know that points are operational then have these hit and miss scenarios ,especially during cold ,winter months .

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still a massively high number of rapids out of action in fact as of today there are 48 out of action,this has to be a record, Ecotricity decision to go with DBT was a very bad move and to continue with them even though there have been massive problems seems to have been a big mistake, watch out for super high prices when they start charging.
What are the future plans re. paying for charging?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sadly ,I feel the same way ... Another way out is hope that new EVs will have decent real driving range (200 miles or more ) ,in which case dependency on chargers will lessen...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts