Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've had a rummage on here and in the manual so hopefully this hasn't been covered elsewhere.

I am looking at buying or leasing an EV and bike carrying is very important to me. I do prefer the ID3 to the Zoe but the Zoe does seem to have a lot more bike options.

I have found some very affordable lease deals on the ID3 but as I understand it, I would have to spec the £400 hitch prep as well as the £850 hitch itself. I am a bit uncomfortable spending that much on optional extras that I wont get to keep at the end of the three years (the lease deal works out around 40% of vehicle value but the optional extras are billed at 100%)

I've been through the manual and it explicitly says no roof carriers but I can see anywhere that says no hatch back carrier? I was hoping I could use something like a Saris Bones EX2 with some hatch huggers so it doesn't clip on to the boot lid. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Saris doesn't list the ID3 as supported but they didn't support the Zoe officially until about 2019.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I saw a picture someone posted of a hatchback carrier on the car. They said it was fine, but that's about the limit of my recollection :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm also interested in these,

Bike Racks and you can hire one for £20 a week on eBay to try before you buy.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
65 Posts
Interested in this too. Though if Sea Suckers are the answer, I'm going off the idea of a panoramic sunroof...!

·
EGGY
1,618 Posts
What sort of bikes are you looking to carry, how many and how often ? I'd always carry my race bike in the boot, wheels in a wheel bag and frame laying down in the boot covered with a blanket or bubble wrap or standing up held by a bungee cord or seatbelt. Alternatively you can get some sucker things to put on the roof, if your using through axles you can clip the front fork into the sucker mount thing, never tried doing that on the rear.

Sea Sucker of Thule have sucker thingy options

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses.

I get nervous enough with my pride and joy on the roof as it is :LOL: No doubt those suckers are strong but they do make me irrationally nervous. I may have to go this route.
Its good to know people have had success with bike racks. Ill keep searching for pictures.

What sort of bikes are you looking to carry, how many and how often ?
A bit of everything unfortunately so thru axle mounting could be difficult. I have two mtb that are boost 15mm, a road bike which is 12mm, my daily is standard qr and my wife's bike is standard qr as well. In a normal year I drive from Bristol to South Wales most weekends to ride the mountain bikes. I used to have to wash the bikes with a little 12v washer before packing them up in the car, I much prefer putting them on the outside and washing them at home. According to the manual you can only run the 12v at full power for 10 minutes so that might be a push for washing two bikes.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,162 Posts
I have an eNiro on order and have the same challenge going on in my mind. I will be travelling some distance and roof bars will severely hit the range. I am not sure if these cars can take a carrier on the hatch (depends on what the hatch is made of). The only other thing to consider is selling your tow hitch afterwards. You will probably on lose about £150. You still need to pay for the prep though.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
For a road bike or smaller hybrid bike in the boot, I find it easiest to remove front wheel, fold down one part of the rear backrest (which part depends on car), putting the bike sans front wheel so that the fork rests on the folded backrest, back wheel in the boot, and frame/seatpost leaning against the non-folded part of the backrest. Then the front wheel goes in the boot, leaning against the frame. This works down to clio-sized cars in my experience; the e-up is too small.

As for ID3, I'm not familiar but if it's similar to the golf then the hitch includes hitch prep, so you only select hitch prep if you would maybe like to add the hitch later; this means the wiring and stuff will be there.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
189 Posts
I have ordered the factory fit Transport hitch (kit) for bicycle carrier preparation for my ID3 (on order)

I am pretty sure that the kit also includes the removable tow bar (cycle carrier mount).
It does not include the cycle carrier though.

I have the small but very effective Thule xpress 2 cycle and think it is fantastic piece of kit:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-xpress-2-_-970000

·
EGGY
1,618 Posts
At risk of sounding like an old fart ...

I'm a bit nervous on the whole bike hanging off the car malarky since I went down to watch the Tour in 87 (? the year Lemond beat Fignon by 13 seconds in the final day time trial) I had my bike hanging off the back of my MR2 (aah the 80's) and someone rear ended me on the autoroute. So that was cycling up Alpe D'huez up the swanny

Reactions: Paul-H

·
Registered
228 Posts
At risk of sounding like an old fart ...

I'm a bit nervous on the whole bike hanging off the car malarky since I went down to watch the Tour in 87 (? the year Lemond beat Fignon by 13 seconds in the final day time trial) I had my bike hanging off the back of my MR2 (aah the 80's) and someone rear ended me on the autoroute. So that was cycling up Alpe D'huez up the swanny
It was ‘89 and it was 8 seconds ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Apologies for the bump, but it's probably better than starting a new thread.

Does anyone have a photo of a mountain bike inside of an ID.3 that they wouldn't mind sharing please?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t sorry, but it will go in with the back wheel still on. That’s a 29” enduro bike xl frame size.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I kept meaning to update this thread as I’ve changed my mind about the sea sucker. I’ve used it a few times now and got more confident with it. I’m using it with two bikes only, I’ve removed the center mount. Could probably get away using a lightweight road bike in the center as the wheel bases are much shorter, the roof is just so floppy around the arial. Can use two on the outside just fine though. I think the mini bomber (two bike version) would put the bikes too close to the center for my liking so the width of the full size bomber is better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I already have a SeaSucker Mini Bomber, so this is awesome to see. The manual says not to put anything on the roof, but it sounds like yours is surviving just fine.

I could probably just angle the rear wheel away from the aerial, although it won't do wonders for drag.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's awesome, thanks! I have a large 27.5" with 76cm (I think) handlebars so it should be fine.
So what I do is put the handle bar vertical and flat to the drivers seat, so the bar points down in to the rear passenger foot well. That puts the fork flat against the front passenger seat. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So what I do is put the handle bar vertical and flat to the drivers seat, so the bar points down in to the rear passenger foot well. That puts the fork flat against the front passenger seat. Hope that makes sense.
Yup, crystal clear thanks! In my other cars I turned the handlebars sideways and slid the bike in because they were long enough to accommodate it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think sea sucker say never to put the bikes on an angle though? It depends what your doing with it I guess. I don’t take it further than Bristol to Forest of Dean, and drive like my mums in the car 😆 just take a short trip and see how you get on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts