Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,606 Posts
“It charges and discharges through a CHAdeMO vehicle connector and is available with a maximum power of 7.4 kW.”

So there’s your first issue.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
82 Posts
Provided you have a car with the right software (such as a newer Leaf), a wall box that can handle it, a v2 smart meter and an electricity company that provides this as an option and approves of your smart meter and wall box, it can work. Search "Vehicle to Grid" "V2G"

Issue No.1, the Kona does not have this software.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It will come though, along with the wide adoption of electric vehicles. Just as solar panels did, and now battery storage. I think it will start with commercial vehicles first. Electric buses, taxis and delivery vans, followed by private vehicles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The picture shows a charging cable plugged into the car - is this suggesting that it is actually outputting 12v power through a Type 2 cable? I’d assumed that you’d have to plug into the ‘cigar lighter’ type socket, which might make it difficult to lead a cable out of a locked car to the tent or whatever.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
525 Posts
The picture shows a charging cable plugged into the car - is this suggesting that it is actually outputting 12v power through a Type 2 cable? I’d assumed that you’d have to plug into the ‘cigar lighter’ type socket, which might make it difficult to lead a cable out of a locked car to the tent or whatever.
Well spotted. I don't think the picture relates to the text. I'm sure the picture shows granny charging in action. So yes a 12v would either have to come straight from the 12 battery or via the socket inside. Both beg the questions around squeezing wires and the car not being closed properly.

Is this a good moment to reflect on the BMS update, which if I'm right changed the 64k to 12v charging algorithm to something like several times a day. If so then is utility mode redundant?

·
Registered
Kona64
1,532 Posts
So I draw electricity in to my car, and suffer a little loss on the conversion.
I then push it back in to the grid, again there is loss in conversion / transmission.

If I pulled at 3am at 5p / kWH cost to me, and pushed in back at 8am winter time at say 25p kWh credit to me, fine.
If I stopped the give back feed in when my car had dropped to 15%, and I had a nice big battery like a Kona64, fine.

I can't see many Leaf24 owners doing it unless they are very confident in their need to go anywhere the next day.
Also interesting will be how fast the National Grid could drink back from the car.

If I had solar panels and Tesla power wall and a car with battery north of 80Kw, I guess the maths could be interesting.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Good luck with CCS V2G being ready by 2025 :D

I reckon more like 2027 you'll see products maybe possibly becoming available that use a fully ratified standard and not the pish pash that CCS currently is out in the wild :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I can't see many Leaf24 owners doing it unless they are very confident in their need to go anywhere the next day.
Also interesting will be how fast the National Grid could drink back from the car.
I have a Powervault which is part of the EDF smart grid trial and it is only to even out peak demands to prevent firing up a peaker plant. They usually draw less than 2 kWh at between 0.5 kW and 3 kW, which would be about 8% of a LEAF24's battery. I would also presume that the provider would hve to ensure that the car had the specified amount of charge in the morning when the customer needed it. V2G is a few years off yet, but I can see it being useful if your street has a power cut and your car can keep your lights on. :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Those PowerVaults are basically what happens to a Renault Zoe battery when it gets returned to Renault :D
Add that to EDF and it sounds like a recipe for disaster :D :D

Most V2G/Battery backups dont have an Island mode so cant work as a backup im afraid.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Those PowerVaults are basically what happens to a Renault Zoe battery when it gets returned to Renault :D
Add that to EDF and it sounds like a recipe for disaster :D :D

Most V2G/Battery backups dont have an Island mode so cant work as a backup im afraid.
I see the laughing emojis so I presume you are joking, but just for clarity and not put anyone off who is thinking of getting one;

Second life batteries are an option but there are so few around that it's not really a "thing" yet. (Maybe in 20 years when the batteries drop to 75%)

Over 12 months, I've save £490 on my electricity bill by storing solar and using it at night. Through the winter, I charged the Powervault on cheap rate overnight and used that during the day on peak rate. The EDF GoElectric tariff gives you 90 hours a week of half price electricity, which then works out at 180 hours with storage. :)

I hope when they get around to CCS V2G, they make stand alone backup an option.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I wasn't joking about them being reused Renault batteries mixed in with new ones. They are the same cells but mixed together 👍

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Yep, an excellent use for used EV batteries. As I understand it, they can't get hold of used EV batteries fast enough to keep up with the demand for house batteries, because the batteries are lasting so long in the cars!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts