Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Not sure if this is right forum...will it be 1st or 2nd gen?!)

Anyway, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the supposed "2018, 200+ miles" Ioniq, as our lease expires early 2019. Ioniq looks a decent & affordable car. The greater range would solve the switch away from BMW Rex.

I read there are doubts around the Koreans' battery tech capability to deliver this, and feasibility of fitting a physically bigger one in. But in general (not Hyundai), new announcements on battery advances seem to dominate EV news at moment, so remain hopeful.

Notwithstanding bigger battery= prob less space...

...how do you lucky EV owners find the current boot space, front & back legroom, three rear passengers' comfort, etc?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
1). Order it two years ago and you'll get it when you need it.

2). I wouldn't carry three in the back for long journeys. The kids are fine (primary school and nursery age) and adults could sit in there for a decent amount of time, but it's a classic short range middle seat for anyone over about four and a half feet.

3). No problems up front for me at 6 foot.

4). Boot is decent. I can get a whole week's shopping for the family in there no problem. It's not the biggest, but the hatchback opening and the fact that it's quite long horizontally means it's got more usable space than the boot in our Leon, which is bigger in capacity but more of the load space is vertical. The rear seats also fold down 60/40 and the parcel shelf cover thing can be removed, giving you a really big load bay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi First Draft! Thanks for these most helpful thoughts.

1) Ha ha! Apparently so....

2) Good to know. Yeah, saw your comment in another thread questioning "large family" category.

3) Important... noticed reports from a (similar heighted to me) 6'3" Ioniq driver on here, who's had back discomfort on longer journeys.

4) OK. Might need for occasional long trip with at least(!) one small child and holiday luggage, would have to see. A hatchback's a hatchback, I suppose. But then anything's an improvement on i3 Rex boot capacity.

[PS congrats on getting one of these EVs!]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I got mine in August, having ordered in March, so I seem to have mined some gold at the end of the rainbow.

Best thing to do is to have a good nose round the current one to see whether you think you could live with it in general.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got mine in August, having ordered in March, so I seem to have mined some gold at the end of the rainbow.

Best thing to do is to have a good nose round the current one to see whether you think you could live with it in general.
Happy for you on that front

Yes.. feel a family visit to the Milton Keynes EV centre coming on next year

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was extremely lucky, ordered Feb 11th collected April 14th.
First Draft sums the car up very well I feel. I love the car, lovely to drive, practical to use, good performance, and until an affordable better range car that can match the current positives with what I now have, I have no desire to switch vehicles.
As the better batteries become available with higher power density I'm sure Hyundai and Kia will be in a position to use them. Most EV makers are using outside suppliers for their batteries.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I see the Tesla model three large battery version has been officially assessed for efficiency, and has done very well.
It is the second most efficient car on the market, just behind the Ioniq!!
Obviously it has more range, but from a battery which appears to be by viewing their efficiency figures, about 100Kw/Hrs battery to produce about 310 miles.
They do though expect the lower range battery with reduced weight and range to be more efficient than the current Ioniq when it is tested shortly.
Obviously it remains to be seen what the next gen Hyundai will be capable of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts