Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thank you for taking the time for reading this message. I represent a startup working in the EV recharging infrastructure/ecosystem domain and we're trying to better understand the challenges and problems experienced currently by EV owners. We understand that the current market is fragmented in terms of an EV driver needing to use multiple applications to deal with payment and discovery of stations (i.e. one app per station)

Is there a problem of discovering EV recharging stations?
Is there a problem of having to use one particular application for one particular provider and then having to have multiple applications?
Is there a problem of payment, is it inconvenient or anything in particular ?
Something else?

Finally I'd like to ask what would be your ideas for improvement and your thoughts on automation of the recharge process (think about automatic discovery of nearby recharging stations when needed and automated payment solution)

Please feel free to discuss any ideas you might have or any troubles in this thread. We'd love to be able to help all the EV drivers out there to have a better experience and in order to do so we want to listen to what you have to say.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Hi,

Is there a problem of discovering EV recharging stations? Some times location of stations and postcode don't match, Several stations in Fife are have been disconnected but data was not updated
Is there a problem of having to use one particular application for one particular provider and then having to have multiple applications? Ideally uou would have one app for all but personally I'm confortable with using a locator app like plugshare then the network app for connection
Is there a problem of payment, is it inconvenient or anything in particular ? N/A Most stations in Scotland are free vending.
Something else? slow charge network has been neglected with priority given to fast charging stations. Car input rates have increased but currently the number of stations above 50kwh is ludicrous. While in Scotland that is just not an option. I would rather use a slow charging station near where I live overnight than parking for 1,5hrs at a rapid station and then going home.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Forgot to mention.

Most network apps don't have a real time condition of the stations. You find yourself arriving to a station that is in use, faulty or completely disconnected while the app still shows the station as in operation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My only suggestion would be to use contactless cards - Instavolt have got this right.

Let's get all this app stuff relegated to the background where it belongs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really appreciate the information I'm getting here, please keep sharing.

@TomH would you so kind as to outline what is your "ideal" user experience and how does it deviate from the current status quo? It kinda sounds like you'd like to just drive up to a free station, tap to pay and plug in?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

@TomH would you so kind as to outline what is your "ideal" user experience and how does it deviate from the current status quo? It kinda sounds like you'd like to just drive up to a free station, tap to pay and plug in?
I think that is an ideal situation for everyone.
That and wireless charging ;)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Just get rid of all apps and membership cards and settle on contactless debit/credit cards then it might be possible to use charge points without towing a separate trailer with all the assorted RFID cards and various mobile phones - did anyone mention the phones have to be smart phones and not just any one, must be the right make / OS and a separate app is needed to point out which tree to climb when wanting to start a charge.

Alternatively buy a Tesla where the car talks to the charger when plugged in, bills your account and there is NO faffing about.
In theory CCS could do this but its not been implemented.

·
Registered
128 Posts
All operations and payment by contactless credit card is what most want. NO APPs at all.
Absolutely agree with you. I have about 4 apps 2 websites and 2 rfid cards to help me to get a charge. I then have to remember which bank card I applied to which provider and input the security code for a charge of probably less than £10. We need to be able to plug in, push the go button and wave a cash card at the machine. I also need to know if the charge point is working and available for my charge input.
It’s not that complicated. The local hospital car park can check if it’s full, read my car number plate and accept contactless payment so surely a charge point could manage to know if it is occupied/vacant and working and take contactless payment.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Contactless. Multiple chargers at high density locations. Covered charging bays, Reliable data back to likes of Zap Map (and in the future cars via telematics).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
All operations and payment by contactless credit card is what most want. NO APPs at all.
Well, we can have the best of both worlds.

Contactless payment with an app if you want to use it. They can be handy if you want to keep an eye on the session and you have an EV without an app like the Kona or MG.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, we can have the best of both worlds.

Contactless payment with an app if you want to use it. They can be handy if you want to keep an eye on the session and you have an EV without an app like the Kona or MG.
Ah sorry, but anything mandating the use of a smartphone is asking for trouble. Signal issues, software compatibility, battery running out...contactless cards are widespread and just work. The app should be an optional extra for those that want it.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,123 Posts

Precisely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help guys.
Does anyone know why the green regeneration charge bar can some time just shrink on the golf GTE???

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
Ah sorry, but anything mandating the use of a smartphone is asking for trouble. Signal issues, software compatibility, battery running out...contactless cards are widespread and just work. The app should be an optional extra for those that want it.
Who said the app was mandated?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Biggest current pain points in EV recharging

MSA power supply, get Grant Shapps, the government, National Grid and DNO to have a plan for power to MSA for the increase in EV by 2032, or perhaps even by 2025. HV connection to each MSA.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,123 Posts
Who said the app was mandated?
It is pretty much mandated by the charging companies. I have to use a Polar app to work the free chargers in the carpark next to John Lewis's in Leeds. At least the phone signal inside the carpark beside the chargers is now OK . Previously you had to go outside or up to the second floor to get a signal!

All done for the convenience of the customer, of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Precisely.
How would you feel about payment automation? For example if you had associated your payment details with the vehicle you're driving. This would enable the following use case, just drive up to a recharge station, plug in/out and drive away. Or would you still prefer explicitly to tap to pay ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Automated payment works for me, as long as I'm sent an email or text straight after a charge session so that I can shut the account down if anything funny starts going on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts