Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an eight mile commute on country roads. Charge at home and work. A couple of times a week I have a 30 mile round trip and once every couple of weeks go further afield.

After two years with the car I have rarely had a 40 mile plus predicted range in the summer and now down to 26 miles at 6 degrees temperature.

What's you biggest difference between summer and winter and am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't keep an eye on the predicted range, so can't help on that front... However... When I first got the Ampera I was struggling to get 30 miles of electric range, even in the summer. The guys on here suggested a couple of things:

1) Always pre-heat/pre-cool
2) Use "L" instead of "D"
3) keep the green leaf in the middle

All this combined has seen my summer EV mileage generally 40-50 miles, and my winter is looking like 25-35.

The biggest factor is definitely how you accelerate. If you keep it smooth it makes such a difference.

The other interesting stat I read was that you will never regen more than 30% of the power you've used, so focus on using less (slower acceleration), rather than trying to get it back later... Though definitely coasting up to junctions - planning ahead - can add 200Wh back in to your pack each time you stop :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Agreed...something is wrong or you're driving like a hoon!

I'm not saying you need to drive like Miss Daisy but I'm astonished to see how many people do not read the road ahead. An EV tends to make you more aware. Of inefficient driving. Regen is handy but still not as efficient as smooth acceleration and anticipating/coasting up to stops. Even in my last ICE the service manager remarked how little brake wear I'd caused.

Just had a flea in my ear for telling the Mrs that she was accelerating up to lights/queues...then braking! Wasting energy twice.

Even in this cold weather I get a min of 33 EV miles. Wear a coat, use heated seats put temp at 21 but only pointed at the windscreen. Driving at 65mph instead of 70mph on duals/motorways also helps.

The various modes make no difference to mileage, they're purely a driver convenience to suit how you want to drive. You want to accelerate fast, use 'Sport', you want to minimise pedal swapping for speed retarding, use L. In D mode, mild brake pedal application still just uses regen.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But the thing is I don't drive fast - I have had various Pruis' for 10 years so have got used to a relaxed style with a bit of hyper miling thrown in. Can't understand the big difference. I have never got anywhere near 50 miles in summer either, although I rarely drive in town so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hills?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Try this... Put the screen onto the Energy Usage screen for a week. Set yourself targets, and keep trying to beat them!

I aim for 4 miles per kWh in the winter, 5 in the summer. Sometimes I get lazy and only manage 2 or 3, but with some effort you can do it.. It'll show you where you're using / gaining energy on each journey... :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do you have the power usage meter in the driver info display? MY2013 Ampera onwards I think. It's very useful for seeing how much power you are using

·
Registered
150 Posts
As an interesting aside, I stood at the traffic lights 0.5 miles from home after a cold start with no preheating. Ambient temp was 3C and power consumption was 8kw with my usual setting of AUTO and 23C. In the summer that will drive the car at 35mph+. Also in the summer at the same lights consumption is 0.5kw with the same air conditioning setting.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
With heating on max and a lead foot my wife manages to spunk a whole charge in only 20 miles with the temp below 4 degrees the last week. Luckily it's the return journey home and still 100% eV. I can get 29-31 easy at the same outside temps but then I don't need heating above 21.

Some people just can't shake the accelerate and brake hard driving style you get with a powerful ice car. Fuel economy was never the wife's strong suit, so ev range is her new weakness.

M

·
Registered
535 Posts
With heating on max and a lead foot my wife manages to spunk a whole charge in only 20 miles with the temp below 4 degrees the last week. Luckily it's the return journey home and still 100% eV. I can get 29-31 easy at the same outside temps but then I don't need heating above 21.

Some people just can't shake the accelerate and brake hard driving style you get with a powerful ice car. Fuel economy was never the wife's strong suit, so ev range is her new weakness.

M
That's some heavy right foot. I managed 20 EV miles on a charge last week but 75% of my journey was at 105mph(ind). The outside temp was 4C but I had minimal heating on, so maybe that made the difference.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
That's some heavy right foot. I managed 20 EV miles on a charge last week but 75% of my journey was at 105mph(ind). The outside temp was 4C but I had minimal heating on, so maybe that made the difference.
Where in Germany do you live? ;)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I normally get 40 miles in Summer, about 30 in Winter without pre-heat, 32 with pre-heat. That's about 8 miles at 65mph (indicated, 60mph actual) on dual carriageway, followed by 2 miles of stop-start town traffic, but I also get the same kind of range with doing 50-60mph on A-roads with a few roundabouts.
Note that stopping for a while (e.g. to have lunch at a service station) causes the battery heating to have to occur again which will take a further couple of miles out of your range.
The main things to a good range are: pre-heat/cool while plugged in; keep the speed down to something sensible (without irritating other road users); look a long way ahead on the road so you virtually never use the brake pedal except for the last 6 feet of coming to a stop.

Point of interest/geekiness - accelerating hard in itself uses no more power than accelerating slowly, i.e. making the car go from 0-60mph uses the same number of Joules of electricity. The difference comes from the fact you reach your target speed faster and therefore spend more time at a higher speed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I usually leave my car plugged in all the time when at home but seeing as I didn't use it over the weekend I unplugged it. I was gutted this morning to only see 36 miles range when I powered up. I still managed to just about crack 40 miles on the way to work.

On the way home I thought I would see what was possible. I turned the heating up to Max and pre heated 45 minutes before leaving work. By the time I got in the car it was still warm and showing 42 miles range. I then turned the heating off and drove most of the way up the M3 doing 50mph (50 speed limit most of the way) then 58mph on the M25 and 62MPH when on ICE.

Interestingly I have been doing the same trip for 18 months and I used to go pretty much as fast as I could legally in my old car and the difference in time from point A - B is about 15 mins maximum and far more relaxed :)

Heating was off when on battery and 22 degrees ECO when the ICE was running. I have changed the way I drive a bit and don't bother trying to regen now, I just try and keep the power meter on 0kwh going down hill and take whatever speed that gives.

Anyway pretty pleased seeing it was only 4 degrees, and the ICE MPG (56.4) was pretty good too.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Great stuff :)

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
I usually leave my car plugged in all the time when at home but seeing as I didn't use it over the weekend I unplugged it. I was gutted this morning to only see 36 miles range when I powered up. I still managed to just about crack 40 miles on the way to work.

On the way home I thought I would see what was possible. I turned the heating up to Max and pre heated 45 minutes before leaving work. By the time I got in the car it was still warm and showing 42 miles range. I then turned the heating off and drove most of the way up the M3 doing 50mph (50 speed limit most of the way) then 58mph on the M25 and 62MPH when on ICE.

Interestingly I have been doing the same trip for 18 months and I used to go pretty much as fast as I could legally in my old car and the difference in time from point A - B is about 15 mins maximum and far more relaxed :)

Heating was off when on battery and 22 degrees ECO when the ICE was running. I have changed the way I drive a bit and don't bother trying to regen now, I just try and keep the power meter on 0kwh going down hill and take whatever speed that gives.

Anyway pretty pleased seeing it was only 4 degrees, and the ICE MPG (56.4) was pretty good too.

I never leave the car unplugged at home, infact we went on holiday for a long 2 weeks and left it plugged in the whole time.

The Ampera/Volt manuel spacifically says to keep the car plugged in at all times if possible as the car then uses mains power for its battery management system.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Any idea how much energy it uses to keep the battery conditioned? I was experimenting as it takes about 12kwh to fully charge but if I leave plugged in over night I see 15 - 18kwh

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Any idea how much energy it uses to keep the battery conditioned? I was experimenting as it takes about 12kwh to fully charge but if I leave plugged in over night I see 15 - 18kwh
I really have no idea.:oops:

My hope is that by doing as Chevrolett recomend the battery will last for a very long time and therefore its going to be far cheaper to be plugged in rather than buy a new battery.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can only imagine my car has some kind of problem. Had it on charge all night as usual, pre-heated as usual for 20mins. Switched on and it showed 26 mile range. Actually got 24 miles travelling mostly at 40-50mph. Showed under 2 miles per kWh. As mentioned above I have only ever had 40 miles predicted range a couple of times in 2 years.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts