Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for all you guys who've got your GTE, what's been something that's surprised you? Good or bad...

I've read up a lot on the GTE but when test driving, something I didn't expect was how relaxing the car is cruising around. The quiet of electric mode, combined with the 'substantial' feeling of the Golf was a really unexpected luxurious feeling.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Once you've experienced that for a while, it looks like you'll wish you'd bought a E-Golf:)

The GTE does look like a very good package though, could just do with more battery capacity.
Though I do love how Jekyll and Hyde the GTE is. The majority of the time the cruising round in e-mode is just bliss and the e-Golf would be great, but love that every once in a while I can press a button and leave everyone at the traffic light eating my dust! :) But a bigger battery would be nice.

The thing that has surprised me the most positively is how refined the car is overall- from the noise the doors make when they close to how it cruises.

On the negative side there is something unsettling about completely running out of battery when you are in stop start traffic or parking the car. You are so used to not hearing the engine that the car suddenly sounds more gruff than my old diesel when it clearly is not.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do you mean the one on Pride Park ? If so I agree went to look at a Sharan at the beginning of the year and the salesmen were like a load of Sharks. I have used TL Darby in Burton on Trent for over 10 yrs and they are brill.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Jumping straight out of an i3, I was surprised how unrefined my GTE felt.

It’s not bad, it’s iust that the i3 is exceptionally good in the refinement stakes.

In hindsight, a lot of that extra road noise over my i3 was the standard fit Bridgestone tyres, once I changed them for some Goodyear F1s, it was a lot better.

Speaking to friends and colleagues about the GTE, another thing that surprised me was how the ‘lay person’ is impressed by how far it can go on electric only, even when corrected for the real world. It seems people do appreciate that it’s a fair distance for a car that isn’t a BEV, and differs somewhat from the general view on here.

I’ve been surprised by its fuel economy in hybrid mode for my journeys. Bearing in mind only two cars ago I was still in a diesel, getting an extra 12mpg over those in a more powerful petrol car over the same jourmeys is great.

I’ve also been surprised by how nimble the handling is, given the GTE weighs the same as a supertanker transporting some moons, but it disguises it well, although your front tyres will let you know how hard they’ve been working pretty soon in their life.

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, but it hasn’t missed a beat in over 40,000 miles in just over 2 years now, it’s just needed routine servicing. Oh, and tyres, quite a few of them...

Finally, it still does surprise me how some fellow Speak EV members are so negative towards PHEVs (VW ones in particular!), I wish we could all drive affordable 250 mile BEVs now too, but even so...

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Biggest surprise to me is that there isnt any built in storage for the cables.

Its pretty gash having 2 bags in the boot, surely something more built in could have been done?
Yeah, it is a bit lacking in that regard, but it does show that there’s very little space for any extra batteries!

I always leave my ‘brick’ charger at home anyway (I just don’t use it) and I have the T2 cable in its bag under a luggage net in the boot when it’s not left attached to the wall charger.

It’s not a major problem TBH, but I do miss the ‘Frunk’ on the i3 now I think about it!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Do you mean the one on Pride Park ? If so I agree went to look at a Sharan at the beginning of the year and the salesmen were like a load of Sharks. I have used TL Darby in Burton on Trent for over 10 yrs and they are brill.
Yes, awful service.

I have been looking into TL Darby as an alternative, but always thought that the distance was a bit too much...might have to reconsider especially if I'm able to get a loan car

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been most surprised by the number of positive comments from total strangers - they seem to love the look of it more than I do. This happened in four separate occasions last week! I never got one comment for my previous VW CC which I thought looked great on 19 inch wheels. They are always amazed to find out that it's a hybrid too...

I agree that its handling is impressive for such a weight but I'm less impressed by the ride... Should have got the DCC adjustable suspension in hindsight, I suppose. Wife and kid hate being driven/bounced about in it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
It’s interesting hearing. I find the Car quiet but around 30-50 I get a lot of wind whistle from the passenger side. Not sure if this is all Golfs or just my car? Something that doesn’t seem quite right is recently I’ve noticed that my windows steam up, don’t have the aircon on it heater but I don’t expect this to happen? Not sure if it’s a seal that isn’t done properly or infact the cause to the wind whistle.

In all fairness. Biggest surprise is the e-Mode. I love it. Never thought I would and the GTE button. It feels just as quick as my S3 I used to own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Surprises of a Positive nature
-How addictive EV mode is
-How restful the car is to drive, even in GTE mode making "good progress"
-The fun of stretching a tank of unleaded to over 1250miles
-The usefulness and convenience of Timer Programs for charging/heating
- The safety not luxury benefit of clear windows in the winter as you drive off without "chuffing"
- The Q-car nature & button pressing to max EV, followed by a GTE "sod it" need
- Making pedestrians look twice when you exit a parking space+drive off, especially if uphill

..and the negative surprises
-The poor reliability of the CarNet remote control app /website
-The poor handover, despite being promised an EV expert, who had had no training in plugging in, carnet or eManager. (over one year back, things might be better)
-The massive difference in battery range between summer+winter
-That the ICE-wake-up point in Hybrid was as low as it was, really wanted it to run on electrons more before it kicks in. (I'd only test driven an v1 eGolf)
- The crap wheelspin at t-junctions, busy roundabouts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Biggest surprise is that I prefer e-mode over GTE-mode. Something about the drive makes me very relaxed. GTE-mode is only fun on quieter roads.

Negative surprise is how much worse the MPG's get while driving a little over the speedlimit.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
Biggest surprise is that I prefer e-mode over GTE-mode. Something about the drive makes me very relaxed. GTE-mode is only fun on quieter roads.

Negative surprise is how much worse the MPG's get while driving a little over the speedlimit.
As noted earlier, the GTE is really just a gateway drug to an eGolf..:cool:

·
Registered
918 Posts
-The poor handover, despite being promised an EV expert, who had had no training in plugging in, carnet or eManager. (over one year back, things might be better)
Still the same! Mine was delivered to my house and they guy who delivered it said "I usually deliver Audis so really sorry, but know very little about the car"....

·
Daniel
119 Posts
With a short commute I have been surprised by how few times I have been to a petrol station since owning the GTE. In nearly a year and a half been only a handful of times......an e-golf beckons ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
[QUOTE="Daniel Child, post: 1393633, member: 5709".
In nearly a year and a half been only a handful of times......an e-golf beckons ;)

Dan. Your comment about going to full EV from your GTE is coming up quite often on here. So much so I wonder if I should have gone straight to an e Golf in one move. I've already gone for a 32A charging unit which the GTE doesn't need. The GTE will only be a run about and rarely used on any long journeys. We already have a tow car for holidays with a caravan.
I was put off by the possibility of massive value loss after the battery warranty ran out. Also the recent reports that the e Golf will not be part of the 2020 VW line up. So far I don't have a build week allocated...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts