Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Got a rear mounted bike carrier for the car (I know not the best option, but couldn't go roof, have a bad back and I can share the rack between the 2 cars and don't need 2 sets of feet for the bars) and was wondering about the electrics.

I was planning on getting something like this, leaving the socket in the boot and hoping the boot seal is flexible enough - done it on plenty of cars before this one. Anyone done this already and had any tips or anything to watch out for? Not sure if it has a socket to just plug into the wiring loom, so was going to use the blue cut in connectors on the lighting wires.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, an update to this for anyone wishing to do the same.

The bike rack I purchased fits well. It's the 'Peruzzo Pure Instinct Rear Cycle Carrier'.

I chose this one as it fits my Outlander PHEV and the MG ZS EV. I was looking at roof mounted options, but to be honest, the eBikes are just too difficult to get on and off of a roof - I'm not that tall! Towing ball / flange mounted were also out, as the Outlander tows a caravan, and will not have enough weight capacity to have both the bikes and the caravan on the back.

I forgot to take a picture of the rack on the MG, but will do so next time we mount it up! The license plate is completely visible - the lights, however, are obscured by the bikes.

I found a PDF of towbar + electrics for the ICE version of the car (link), and it shows a 14-pin connector for the towing electrics. I know that the cars share a lot of pieces, so thought I would have a look in mine - a slim chance, I know.

IMG_20200712_092858.jpg IMG_20200712_092956.jpg IMG_20200712_093129.jpg IMG_20200712_095735.jpg

But as you can see in this last picture, I could not find the 14-pin connector:

I did find the grommet to access the outside, should that be needed - although I am planning on just having it in the boot.

My next step is to look at splicing into the wires for the lights. I'll update when I've made some more progress.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
15kg individual bike weight limit? My Turbo Levo HT is 20kg. Not weighed the battery (I might do now i've though of it), but even at that its a weighty bike.

I bought a Thule 599 for the roof as it was the only carrier I could find with a 20kg weight limit. Most top out at 15-17kg. The Thule 532's I already had flex when you stick the Levo on even with the battery removed. Their limit is 17kg, which is fine for the kids bikes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
15kg individual bike weight limit? My Turbo Levo HT is 20kg. Not weighed the battery (I might do now i've though of it), but even at that its a weighty bike.

I bought a Thule 599 for the roof as it was the only carrier I could find with a 20kg weight limit. Most top out at 15-17kg. The Thule 532's I already had flex when you stick the Levo on even with the battery removed. Their limit is 17kg, which is fine for the kids bikes.
The bike carrier I chose (link) can have a weight of 22.5 per bike - 45kg total. My eBikes come in at just over 20kg without the battery. Wouldn't want to travel with the battery attached anyway!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
The bike carrier I chose (link) can have a weight of 22.5 per bike - 45kg total. My eBikes come in at just over 20kg without the battery. Wouldn't want to travel with the battery attached anyway!
Ok! (y)

How do you keep the weight off the roof spoiler?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mount it just passed the spoiler, seemed like a solid surface to me. Doesn't deflect with the bikes on. Here is a picture of where put the mounting pads:

Sorry it's not a pic of the bike rack on, I'll get it when I next use it on the MG!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts