Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the thread title - what are the options for bike carriers on the back of the Ampera? I would like to take my bike with me, but don't want to:

a) put it in the back
b) take it in my stinking, euro 0, diesel van (which I love and will never get rid of)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
This has been discussed before, but prob hard thread to find. I've taken 1 bike on a standard Halfords carrier, rests on bumper and tailgate glass with canvas straps fed to inside of tailgate with a plastic drum thing which gets trapped and held there. Important to pad the bumper v well as the paint isn't super strong. Also a bit inconvenient to use as have to load boot first, and remove bike if wanting access to boot. Fine for my use, carting son +kit to Uni, but wouldn't want to use it daily.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've researched this topic more than a lot, since I have a wife & 2 young kids and we go on staycations to the west country about 3 times a year.

In short, I use roof bars plus a tow bar mounted bike carrier on the back. Others have found the Thule Raceway works. I was quite tempted by this too, but it seems more precarious compared to a proper bike carrier like my Thule 9503, which I had anyway. However, that or the Thule Clip-On were my potential options for that kind of carrier. I've attached some pics of the Raceway fitted to an Amp/Volt. (I've actually got loads of photos of roof/bike racks I've found for reference's sake.)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the look of the raceway rack... How did you go about fitting a towbar mounted carrier? I guess it involved fitting a Chevy Cruze/Astra J towbar first?

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's a Brink RMC bike carrier, which is available for many hybrid cars. If you look here it'll show you the part number & fitting kit for the Opel Ampera :

I got mine done at Indespension in Reading, who are a Thule/Brink dealer. You'll need to quote the exact part no though, as these weren't particularly common items.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts