Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Etron without roof rails and without tow bar. It is on a three year lease agreement.

I have occasional need to take families bikes (2x adult, 2x small children) away for UK holidays within 100 miles from home.

I don’t think it is worth having tow bar fitted. And, I see it as hassle fitting a roof rack and mounting (quite heavy) bikes on roof.

Therfore, I see a bike carrier as the obvious solution. However, my past experience with bike racks on a different estate car was not great. I felt that that were not very secure, even for just two adult bikes. Straps often came loose even during quite short journeys. And, fitment meant that it put pressure on the rear spoiler of car which I know is only glued in place.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality, easy to use bike carrier, that can take the weight of two heavyish adult bikes ..... and provides a good secure fit with the Etron? (I’m happy to remove wheels and put kids bikes inside car if needed).

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice. From what I can see there are three different models of Saris Bones. Standard, EX and Super. Any advice on which might be best/easiest to use? I’ve seen the EX for £129 On the GreenFlag website which looks v reasonable price. My only slight worry is that on Halfords website when I enter my vehicle details it says “it might not fit” but I suspect that this is just because it’s probably never been tested with an Etron.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS Suction attachments? How would I use? As substitute for straps/hooks? What is the benefit?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
For 2 adult bikes plus 2 kids bikes I would probably go for the 3 bike version: rated to carry 105#. Evans have them if you are stuck for a supplier.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred - Thanks for your advice. I’ve ordered the EX version (3 bike) for £129 from GreenFlag. Apparently the EX version is better for lessening the pressure on the plastic spoiler that seems to be fitted on all cars these days. Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts