Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
By wing bars, they're what they call 'Aero' bars? I've currently got the square section bars. Not sure you can get the feet kits from Thule any more - they dont list anything for the Volt on their US site now.

Thule do three types of bar, black square, alloy aero and the newer wing bars. You are correct about Thule not listing the actual fitting kit for the Volt/Ampera. I used the complete set-up from my last car (Toyota Auris Hybrid). It was a perfect fit and followed the contour of the roof on the Ampera 100%.

I am surprised the kit is still available for sale. Thule never found a solution to the problem and the Volt forums confirm that it doesn't hold properly. There's no way I'd put a couple of bikes on the roof under the circumstances!

This is from the GM Volt forum.
My dealer John at Go Bananas Kayaks and I tried the Thule fit kit. The front clips did not hold the rack and kept slipping off, but the back clips worked for the front bars (and felt really solid). John is trying to see if he can find 1-1/4" longer clips for the back rack.

John,
The longer bracket in the front will fail. Longer is worse in this case. I get where you're coming from - I've been there, and I'm there many more times then I'd like to be - but I can't recommend anything. But the bottom line is that I'm already not happy with the fit - I've seen the changes we can make to change it - and it doesn't make much of a difference.

Just to reiterate, I didn't use the Volt/Ampera fitting kit. The whole set-up from my last car (Toyota Auris Hybrid) fitted perfect in every way. I would NOT put ÂŁ2,000 worth of bikes, or camping equipment in a 380ltr Thule roof box if I was in any doubt about the security of the bars.

So, Thule couldn't manage to make a footpack to fit the Ampera but there was already one in their range which fitted? :rolleyes: I wonder how much money they wasted trying to find a solution to a problem which was already solved?

I have the 969s, 754s and a pair of Thule Pro bike racks and was about to put everything up for sale. Now, it seems all I need is a ÂŁ30 Fitting Kit 1440!

We have a winner

Brett. Can you emagine how pleased/releived I was when I discovered the suitability of my redundant bars from the Toyota. I too was going to eBay them last year, but never got round to it, glad I never now.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Oh Wow... My existing Thule set up was a foot plus fitting kit combo for the Jag S-type. I'll check what number the foot kit is... perhaps like Brett all I'll need is the Auris fitting kit...

Reactions: Lee Dalton
Anyone else tried this? @hopbackguy?
Thinking off going from an scenic to a 24kwh leaf, this plus a dog guard would increase the Ampera to camping size.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
No, I didn't purchase as I changed my bike to a Kalkhoff e-bike which is too heavy for a bike rack..

If anyone in the Bristol area is interested I have a pair of Thule 769 square roof bars a Thule 754 footpack (and a fitting kit 1562 for Honda Insight) for sale on Gumtree for ÂŁ50 ovno. In excellent condition.

So i'm going to go down this route, except im getting everything second hand( Ebay FTW)
Problem is wing-bars don't deprecate very much :(.
I'll keep you all updated.

Eventually got the bars, fitted them and and tested (bars only) on a run to Bristol and back, no noticeable power loss noise or issues.

Bought a unused Hyundai ix20 kit for ÂŁ48.99(came with both 754 and 969) and feet for ÂŁ31.49
Hyundai IX20 2010-2015 Thule Aluminium Roof bars HMY5310008 New & Genuine | eBay
Thule 1440 Rapid Fitting Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

IHalfords wanted 210....sheesh

reckon the larger Thule 962 should fit. The smaller 961 unlikely (if sombody has a pair and can measure them I can confirm)

Reactions: Jeff Smith
21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.