Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts
@Marli I'm finding the rear (longer) clamp is pinching the door seal as there's very little clearance between the clamp and the door. How are you finding that? I can't help but think that the front clamps would be better for the rear too.

Other than that the kit fits pretty well, it's fairly obvious that it isn't designed for the car as the lower part of the clamp doesn't follow the profile of the car but I don't think it's likely to come off.

noticed it didn't exactly fit. Only had it on for 4 days didn't notice any long term damage.
Putting it back on this weekend as getting some T/U clamps to fit stuff.

Was hoping to take it for a run out before now but circumstances have delayed.
Will be taking it for a proper run in July.
Might just leave it on until July...negligible effect on performance as far as I can see.

OK had the roof rack on for a week.
Box went on last night.
Slammed it up and down the Dual Carrage way.
Roof rack 0 noticable effect on performance.
Roof box... defo noticed.......but seems to relate to acceleration.
eg ran MM to work
Gom is usally 42, saying 27+12(32) at the moment(most off my acceleration)
But my MPG is 57?(the last 7 miles dual carriageway cut over at 70 mph)
So......meh

@Marli I'm finding the rear (longer) clamp is pinching the door seal as there's very little clearance between the clamp and the door. How are you finding that? I can't help but think that the front clamps would be better for the rear too.
Yep defo pressing on the rubber. I would recommend wrapping the place where it presses in somthing......or getting different clamps. I'll have a look at the clamps that came with the hyundai kit.

Hi @J Hulme . The Thule 969 bars are 127cm or 1270mm in length. Coincidently I returned from Somerset again just yesterday with the bars fitted, but this year I used an alloy roof tray instead of the roof box. I used the U bolts from my roof box and drilled the eight holes needed in the roof tray, I used some nylock nuts and washers I already had in my tool box. I got the tray new from eBay and it was really cheap, and easy to assemble. Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, as I took a photo on the iPad from the photo on my phone. Now we are home I have removed the bars with the tray still attached. If anyone is interested I can take a picture of the bars and tray.

Attachments

Also @Jeff Smith what box did you use, from experience what is the maximum size you would recommend?
Sorry about the late reply. My roof box is one I have had for a number of years now, I purchased it from a Vaxhall main dealer new when it was on special offer. It's over six foot long to accommodate carp fishing rods (12ft). Although branded as a Vauxhall box, it's plainly obviously a Thule made item.

Just returned myself from a trip in the Campera (TM)...thought I wouldn't need the box, but didn't take the baby into account...a crew off toys!
Discovered the Campera doesn't have any 12v outlets in the boot, annoying, should be easy to resolve, but not when you are away :mad:

Yep defo pressing on the rubber. I would recommend wrapping the place where it presses in somthing......or getting different clamps. I'll have a look at the clamps that came with the hyundai kit.
Did you ever get around to looking at this? I believe the rear clamps were the problem for Thule too.

If you don't get anywhere I'll try and 3D print a thing to move the seal out of the way when the bars are fitted.

Was going to look at it today but looks like thats getting getting pushed down the road.

Hi Jeff!
Great job posting all this valuable info about fitting a roof rack to a Ampera! I’ve just purchased a 2012 Opel Ampera and wanted to do the same thing as everyone else here;) Fit a roofbox to a set of roof bars! I’ve got the Thule Rapid System 753 mounting “feet”, would think they would fit? I’d also need the 1440 Kit too.

However the main concern or question I have is: how does the fitting kit with its “claw” stay in put once you mount it? Can’t say I’ve seen 4 holes on the frame inside the top of the door, where, generally, the “spigot” on the claw get mounted... Or doesn’t this kit need that kind of security fastening?

Hope you can answer!
Cheers, Ken. From Norway.

Thule Wingbars 969
Thule Rapid System 754
Thule Fitting Kit 1440

It looks as if Thule do four styles of bar profile now, the Wingbars are by far the more aerodynamic profile though, but are the most expensive.

Just bought all this, mostly on gumtree

Wingbars 969 £50
Feet 754 £40
Adapters 1440 (new) £35
Bike carrier 532 £30
T bar adapters for aerobars (new) £11
Final product.

Some points-
The rear adapters certainly do pinch the rubber but not the metam work.

The rear of the bike holder stops the boot hatch full opening.

Hi all... Joining this forum because I'm considering the Ampera as a family car. Currently got a Passat Estate and definitely need a car suitable for the odd UK family holiday, with wife & 2 kids. The Passat is good because of 1) roof bars & box and 2) tow bar for bike(s). Since this last post, has anyone got further experiences of carrying bikes or roof bars? Thanks in advance.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.