Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts
@Squasher Not sure what to say really, the kit fits, and it's secure.

Going from a Passat estate, and I've used a few for shifting loads, to an Ampera will be a bit of a shock. The Ampera boot is certainly on the small size. Also, if your kids are small then the rear leg room is fine, but lanky teenagers might struggle with leg and head space. Certainly compared to Passat space.

Kids are 4 and 6, so not too lanky yet. But I do hear you about the space, or lack of. However, I'm hoping to use the roof bars and box when going on holiday.

Since my last post, I've found some guy in the Netherlands who has used a Thule Raceway on his Ampera, and it looks good. Still think I need to see a car up close....

If you're anywhere near Warwickshire, you're welcome to pop over and have a look at my car. I don't have a roofrack though!

No problem. Mine is already sold to a fellow forum member, delivery will be when my Kona Electric arrives :) but if you do want a look over one just drop me a line.

I was going to try using the kits described on this thread for my Volt, but when I spotted this Sea Sucker trike carrier I went with that instead. I wouldn't have bought it at full price, but Wiggle had it on special offer. It has the advantages of being purpose built for trikes, very quick to fit/remove and could easily be adapted to take roof bars or possibly a roof box. The disadvantages are the retail price and it's not secure from theft. I haven't tried it in anger yet as the car needs a good wash, but I'll post again when I have.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive bicycle rack

This shows what it's like when properly fitted.

Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle Bicycle wheel Spoke

I'm not exactly sure on the legality and impact on your insurance as the Ampera, as far as I know, is not type approved to have a towbar fitted. I am only mentioning this as our campervan, based on a Nissan Elgrand, is also not approved to have a towbar fitted and there have been lengthy discussions about the implications if there is an accident.

It's not approved to tow.
(and even then it isn't zero rated you may be able to tow the difference to max wieght, and a good lawyer)

As long as your insurance approves you can fit a towbar.
Off course finding a tow bar approved for the Ampera .....

So the question is what tow bar is that ?

Made by Brink, it's a bike carrier tow bar, designed for EVs and hybrids. It's got a metal line on the ball to prevent a regular trailer from being used. And came with the vehicle specific fitting kit and I got it done at a Brink dealer. (After all, I did post it in this thread, about carrying bikes!) And I declared it with the insurance company, though many don't see a tow bar as a mod.

Can anyone tell me if the Thule fitting kit 1440 is compatible with the 750 foot pack? These are the forerunner to the 754 foot pack, but have a different adjust/locking mechanism.

I can't find this info anywhere online.

Made by Brink, it's a bike carrier tow bar, designed for EVs and hybrids. It's got a metal line on the ball to prevent a regular trailer from being used. And came with the vehicle specific fitting kit and I got it done at a Brink dealer. (After all, I did post it in this thread, about carrying bikes!) And I declared it with the insurance company, though many don't see a tow bar as a mod.
@Squasher Can you provide any ideas on cost for this?

@Squasher Can you provide any ideas on cost for this?
Hi. I paid £280, but Brink UK didn't include the cost of the detachable towbar itself which was another £120. The towbar place which did the fitting stuck to their guns and got Brink to send the towbar for free. Thumbs up!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.