Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts
Just to add I’ll be listing my Saris Bike Porter 3 on EBay this weekend. Hoping to get £50 + postage.
Used successfully with Ampera so good option if you are not sure you will use regularly or don’t want to make the investment into roof bars or tow bar options above.

Hi. I paid £280, but Brink UK didn't include the cost of the detachable towbar itself which was another £120. The towbar place which did the fitting stuck to their guns and got Brink to send the towbar for free. Thumbs up!
If I go to Brink's website they say they don't have a solution for the Ampera. Did you contact a fitter directly?

It includes the Chevy Volt too, never realised that. Anyway, the reverse sensors get confused when the bike rack is on, I turn it off for the duration. I got the wiring kit as well as the detachable bar, and of course the main bit that bolts to the car chassis.

It includes the Chevy Volt too, never realised that. Anyway, the reverse sensors get confused when the bike rack is on, I turn it off for the duration. I got the wiring kit as well as the detachable bar, and of course the main bit that bolts to the car chassis.
Sorry to keep asking questions, but hopefully this is the last one [emoji4]. You answers are really helpful.

Do you know what the nose weight is? We have eBikes which are quite weighty. I think the two add up to nearly 50kg (plus whatever rack we get).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sorry to keep asking questions, but hopefully this is the last one [emoji4]. You answers are really helpful.

Do you know what the nose weight is? We have eBikes which are quite weighty. I think the two add up to nearly 50kg (plus whatever rack we get).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
The Brink catalogue says 52.5kg, I'm not 100% sure if that includes the bike rack though. Have you also thought about a roof rack? I've got one for a roof box & bike carrier. Mind you, I'd not be keen on lifting a 25kg bike up over my shoulders to my car roof!

Just to add I’ll be listing my Saris Bike Porter 3 on EBay this weekend. Hoping to get £50 + postage.
Used successfully with Ampera so good option if you are not sure you will use regularly or don’t want to make the investment into roof bars or tow bar options above.
View attachment 131996
I'm interested in this mate but not sure which one on eBay is yours!
Would prefer to buy one from a fellow Ampera owner!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Brink catalogue says 52.5kg, I'm not 100% sure if that includes the bike rack though. Have you also thought about a roof rack? I've got one for a roof box & bike carrier. Mind you, I'd not be keen on lifting a 25kg bike up over my shoulders to my car roof!
Yeah, it was research into roof options that brought me to this thread but, regardless of the effort to get such heavy bikes up there, I'm reticent about mounting 50kg on the roof of the Ampera when it looks like I'd have to use Toyota fittings that aren't officially supported by Thule on this car!

Final product.

Some points-
The rear adapters certainly do pinch the rubber but not the metam work.

The rear of the bike holder stops the boot hatch full opening.

Hi RunningStrong
Final product.

Some points-
The rear adapters certainly do pinch the rubber but not the metam work.

The rear of the bike holder stops the boot hatch full opening.

Did the fitting kit 1440 X and Y measurements for a Toyota Auris fit the Ampera as well or did you use different widths? Thanks

I purchased the Menabo Tema roof rack that supposedly fits the Opel Ampera. I'm not too happy with it. The fittings don't connect snugly to the car and they have to be screwed tight, which means that mounting takes some time. Furthermore there is a plastic cover on the sides that doesn't fit perfectly.

Maybe I did something wrong but this was my experience. I adjusted the angle on the rear fittings slightly and in the end got them to work, but I wouldn't use them for heavy loads at high speed.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.