Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Bike rack again (roof mount )

29K views 91 replies 28 participants last post by  Ampera2012 
#1 ·
Every so often, I have another search to see if there's a good roof rack for the Ampera yet. This time round I found this:

http://www.varerum.co.uk/thule-roof-racks/roof-racks-for-cars/opel/ampera/thule-roof-racks-for-opel-ampera-4d-sedan-11-with-normal-roof.html

So..clear implication that this will work on the Ampera, and that the rubber fitting kit therefore matches the Ampera's roofline. Question is: do I risk £140 and find that in fact it *doesnt* fit exactly? :)

#3 ·
#4 ·
I agree, my suspicions exactly, as I've found the same each time I've gone to the Thule site.

#7 ·
The Ampera is on the Thule configurator? Where? I just looked at the Fit Guide on the UK Thule.com pages and the Ampera still isn't listed.

#9 ·
Ah yes right. I've found this before. You can find a couple of independents who have guides that say the 754 feet will work on an Ampera or Volt - and yet still the Thule company fit guide doesn't list either car. And if you go to the Thule USA site and try it, you can find the Chevy Volt, but the fit guide says 'no solution currently available'. This is what I've found when I've looked previously. So its not clear - if it was supported, why don't Thule themselves list the solution? This is why last time I looked I decided I wasn't prepared to risk the money up front, as I wasn't convinced the independents would even know what an Ampera was! :)

If you'd like to be the first to experiment of course.... ;-)

#10 ·
I keep looking for the same reasons (bikes), and the best I came up with was the sets that they sold for a while in the USA for the Volt.
It seems that they do fit, but are not 'officially' recognised as such.
A quick look on GM-Volt should give you the parts you want, but it is a bit of a risk I guess.
We just bought a set of roof bars for our ICE car, as my wife only does 6000 miles a year in it, so a couple of longer runs a year is actually good for it ;)

#12 ·
Which web site did you find that on please? As I said above, I also found references to the 754 feet fitting the Ampera but NOT on Thules own web site and hence wasn't willing to be the first to pay up front to test them. If you are, let us know how you get on!

#15 ·
Fitting kit 1647 was listed for the Volt a few years ago but Thule withdrew it, due to problems with the connector. It's not listed anymore and there was never an option listed for the Ampera. I have some really nice, top-of-the-line Thule aero bars and pro bike racks but I won't use them on the Ampera. The car is clearly not designed for use with roof racks or tow bars. Apart from killing the performance & economy, if Thule themselves decided that their product didn't work satisfactorily and withdrew it, I really don't think it's a good idea to fit it.

#16 ·
Hi Brett, Thule withdrew the Volt/Ampera listing due to two customers raising issues about the fitting of the rear mounts, Thule have a very good reputation worldwide and wouldn't like their good name dragged through the mud. Nearly all manufactures advise against the fitting of after market roof bars, in the past I have purchased so called "genuine" Vauxhall, Toyota and Ford roof bars and then realised they are Thule and have just been rebranded. When you purchase brand new from Thule, you get comprehensive fitting instructions and measurements of where to mount the bars, usually taking the measurement from the top of the windscreen, how many folk read the instructions or keep them for a second user when selling on? This may be the reason for complaining about the bars not fitting correctly?

#17 ·
Thule withdrew the Volt/Ampera listing due to two customers raising issues about the fitting of the rear mounts, Thule have a very good reputation worldwide and wouldn't like their good name dragged through the mud.
I don't believe it was only withdrawn because a couple of idiots didn't read the instructions properly. Thule wouldn't be able to sell any of their fitting kits under those circumstances. In fact, few, if any, companies would be able to sell their products. I suspect there was a problem, highlighted by these two customers and Thule couldn't find a satisfactory answer, otherwise it would either have remained on sale - because it fitted correctly if the instructions were followed - or Thule would have made a small modification to it, to fix the problem. The fact that they couldn't do either of those things means there had to be a safety issue.

Nearly all manufactures advise against the fitting of after market roof bars, in the past I have purchased so called "genuine" Vauxhall, Toyota and Ford roof bars and then realised they are Thule and have just been rebranded.
Yes but the difference is that other cars are designed to be fitted with roof bars or tow bars. The Ampera isn't and there aren't any options, even from the manufacturer themselves.

When you purchase brand new from Thule, you get comprehensive fitting instructions and measurements of where to mount the bars, usually taking the measurement from the top of the windscreen
But with cars which are properly designed to take roof bars, you don't need these measurements for fitting because the mounts are already there on the roof and the kits screw in easily and without any issue.

#18 ·
I've ordered the fitting kit from elsewhere, I have the 869 Wingbars and the 754 Footpack that I purchased for my previous car (Toyota Auris Hybrid 2012). Fitting kit 1647 is £37 from Halfords. I can post a picture of them fitted for reference.
Yes please :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton
#19 ·
@Jeff Smith did you get the roof bars successfully fitted to your Ampera? As a result of recent discussions in the pub I decided to look back on threads about carrying bikes on the Ampera...

#22 ·
By wing bars, they're what they call 'Aero' bars? I've currently got the square section bars. Not sure you can get the feet kits from Thule any more - they dont list anything for the Volt on their US site now.

#24 ·
Thule do three types of bar, black square, alloy aero and the newer wing bars. You are correct about Thule not listing the actual fitting kit for the Volt/Ampera. I used the complete set-up from my last car (Toyota Auris Hybrid). It was a perfect fit and followed the contour of the roof on the Ampera 100%.

#25 ·
I am surprised the kit is still available for sale. Thule never found a solution to the problem and the Volt forums confirm that it doesn't hold properly. There's no way I'd put a couple of bikes on the roof under the circumstances!

This is from the GM Volt forum.
My dealer John at Go Bananas Kayaks and I tried the Thule fit kit. The front clips did not hold the rack and kept slipping off, but the back clips worked for the front bars (and felt really solid). John is trying to see if he can find 1-1/4" longer clips for the back rack.

John,
The longer bracket in the front will fail. Longer is worse in this case. I get where you're coming from - I've been there, and I'm there many more times then I'd like to be - but I can't recommend anything. But the bottom line is that I'm already not happy with the fit - I've seen the changes we can make to change it - and it doesn't make much of a difference.

#54 ·
Hi Jeff!
Great job posting all this valuable info about fitting a roof rack to a Ampera! I’ve just purchased a 2012 Opel Ampera and wanted to do the same thing as everyone else here;) Fit a roofbox to a set of roof bars! I’ve got the Thule Rapid System 753 mounting “feet”, would think they would fit? I’d also need the 1440 Kit too.

However the main concern or question I have is: how does the fitting kit with its “claw” stay in put once you mount it? Can’t say I’ve seen 4 holes on the frame inside the top of the door, where, generally, the “spigot” on the claw get mounted... Or doesn’t this kit need that kind of security fastening?

Hope you can answer!
Cheers, Ken. From Norway.

#28 ·
So, Thule couldn't manage to make a footpack to fit the Ampera but there was already one in their range which fitted? :rolleyes: I wonder how much money they wasted trying to find a solution to a problem which was already solved?

I have the 969s, 754s and a pair of Thule Pro bike racks and was about to put everything up for sale. Now, it seems all I need is a £30 Fitting Kit 1440!

#31 ·
Oh Wow... My existing Thule set up was a foot plus fitting kit combo for the Jag S-type. I'll check what number the foot kit is... perhaps like Brett all I'll need is the Auris fitting kit...

Reactions: Lee Dalton
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.