Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have realised that I cannot use my Thule tailgate bike rack on my new eNiro. I like the look of the ‘tow bar’ options but seem expensive and I have a lease vehicle so could be a hassle.

has anyone managed to fit four bikes on their roof? Would only be for short journeys locally.... cheers John.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had two bikes using standard off the shelf stuff. I bought 1 x Atera (28) SIGNO RTD 122cm steel roof bars (2) AR8422 (Kia Niro five door (2016 onwards)) from the roof box company and all was fine.

But long distance, those two bikes had a very noticeable affect on range. A lot of wind resistance going on there.

Completely agree that the 'tow hitch' issue is a real pain.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
With any roof bars that are usable for the full width (such as Thule wing bar), four road bikes are easy (turn the second and fourth one to face backwards). Flat bar bikes it may be more difficult, but you can easily check by just standing the bikes together on the ground. Mess with them until you get them all (the tyres that is) within 10 cm less than the roof bar width (so within 110 cm or so I believe?) and you're good. Worst case you'll have to turn their handlebars sideways, which means you'll have to readjust the headset bearings afterwards (on most modern bikes).

And be happy you don't have a car that can' take a roof rack, such as ID.3 or Ioniq.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have only got the Niro temporarily (eg on lease) is there a risk that the roof bars would not fit your next car?

This was my worry for my own lease car. For this reason I bought a Saris Bones. This rear bike rack was recommended to me on this forum. It works well, having a max capacity of 75kg .... which should be sufficient for four modern bikes.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
Many roof rack makes/systems allow you to only buy a new set of adapters (~40 €) or, at most, new "feet" (~100 €) when you change the car, keeping the same bars and of course all the bike holders etc.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you have only got the Niro temporarily (eg on lease) is there a risk that the roof bars would not fit your next car?

This was my worry for my own lease car. For this reason I bought a Saris Bones. This rear bike rack was recommended to me on this forum. It works well, having a max capacity of 75kg .... which should be sufficient for four modern bikes.
Just sell them if this is the case. Pop them on here or eBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts