Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Is there any chance I can install towbar for carrying the bikes, not for towing without invalidate warranty? Was told by the Kia Ireland that this might invalidate car warranty and kia don't have a homologation for e-niro in Europe. Is this through? Did someone did thus before? Any issues with police, or service? Where did you get it?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
303 Posts
Has been discussed quite a few times on this Forum. Ireland is probably like the UK where the towbar is not an option on the Niro. This leads dealers to make the comment they have made. Know for certain that available in the Netherlands as an option and probably elsewhere in Europe. There are again people on this forum who have had a towbar fitted, purely to enable bike carriers, and sure they will respond to your question about what and where.

Definitely unclear if a 3rd towbar would invalidate a warranty (unless anybody here has a quote from Kia Ireland or Kia UK). Cannot see any police or authority questioning this unless directly attributable to an accident. Personally do not think it would invalidate a warranty but a lot will depend on how it is installed and how much you are happy to potentially have a fight later if Kia do not give clear approval upfront.

FYI. i did look at doing this for Niro PHEV but decided against as just too costly for a car long way through the PCP that I was not going to keep

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,156 Posts
FYI: I live in Spain and regulations have been modified so we can install the towbar exclusively for a bike rack even though the car is not homologated for towing. Talk to your dealer and local authorities and check what the status is in the UK.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
158 Posts
Hi there,
Is there any chance I can install towbar for carrying the bikes, not for towing without invalidate warranty? Was told by the Kia Ireland that this might invalidate car warranty and kia don't have a homologation for e-niro in Europe. Is this through? Did someone did thus before? Any issues with police, or service? Where did you get it?
Thanks in advance
A number of guys ahve fitted a Brink tower. This company does it and has done a few. Kia E-Niro Electric towbar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,

Please see below repy from Kia

Dear Jan

I hope you are keeping well and looking forward to the weekend.

After talking to our parts department I can confirm the accessories that you have been looking at, are locally sourced by Kia Motors Belgium for their specific market and are not available to Kia Motors Ireland.

The towbar RMC bike carrier system for e-Niro that they supply in Belgium, is produced by Brink in the Netherlands. Brink have developed this towbar on which only a compatible bike carrier can be installed. The tow ball is fitted with 2 lateral pins to prevent hooking up a normal trailer. This type of RMC (rear mounted carrier) is accepted by the MOT in Belgium and in Holland. However, the guidelines in Ireland are to adhere to EU homologation. The e-Niro does not have the towing pack, nor has it EU-homologated towing capacity / weights for either towing or vertical loads. No towbar (whether for towing or carrying vertical loads such as bike carriers or dog boxes) can be fitted on e-Niro.

What is available here from Kia Motors Ireland however, is a roof mounted solution which combines the roof bars with either bike carrier “Active” or “Pro”. (details below). Due to homologation, we do not offer an alternative to this.

The good news at the moment, is that we are currently running a 20% off promotion, that will give you 20% off the prices below. You can download a voucher for this here à Kia Genuine Accessories

I have outlined some of the technical background for you below, if you are interested, which may satisfy your curiosity as to why we do not provide the solution you are looking for.

I wish you well with your e-Niro and thank you for choosing Kia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts