Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rare trip to Birmingham for me today.

Two locations visited. Aston Street and Margaret Street

Note it turns out both these streets are cut in half - one by bollards, the latter by becoming one way - so be prepared for a learning curve and have your sat nav on.

Aston street both bays in use. One by Dave who was just plugging his Leaf in he bought in July, and whose unexpected speed had already led to a driver speed awareness course...;) I mentioned Speak EV which he had not heard of so hope to see him on here.

Dave pointed me to Margaret Street as it was next to the venue I was going to. I had a plug in midlands card which these posts used to be on....but recently swapped to charge your car. So I tried to download the app. However speed so slow due to presumably contention from xmas shoppers I had to give up - charge was not essential.

Dave tells me parking still free for ev drivers in the city...which is a real perk.

Overall, impressed that the charging points were handily placed, being used so clearly working, and not iced.

Wednesbury Ikea rapid working ok still. Led to me buying a meal and sundries. Type 2 32amp would have had
me checking my space was not needed less often....but still grateful for it. Again sat nav handy here as not obviousto find ikea from motorway and little signs to it I could see

·
Registered
327 Posts
A rare trip to Birmingham for me today.
The Birmingham Council chargers have been ok for me (there is a list on their website). Some are even 22kWh, great for a Zoe, and there are a few handily located in council car parks in the centre and some in the suburbs. Also a couple of Asda stores have charging posts (subject to Asda staff ICE). Then there are the nearby rapids on the M42, M5, M6 and M6 toll plus Ikea.
Overall I would rate Birmingham as EV friendly so it's a shame we won't be getting the Soul EV here.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know, I've not ventured into the city centre yet. I used the ikea charger last night for the first time, both bays were empty too.
I just missed bumping into you then! Got there 9:50, would have managed ok without a charge to be honest but needed the loo and some food so plugged in while there. Ikea seem to manage the spaces well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just missed bumping into you then! Got there 9:50, would have managed ok without a charge to be honest but needed the loo and some food so plugged in while there. Ikea seem to manage the spaces well.
Ah I see, we left at about 8pm. I checked the ze app while I was in store to check on charge level, as soon as it finished I was anxious to free up the space just in case anyone was waiting. When we returned it was still only my car there.

Will say hello if I see you next time :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Charged the leaf at Ikea today, whilst the wife was shopping at Boundary Mill. you sometimes have to wait in one of the free spaces whilst another (usually leaf) charges. In general well policed.

Hilton Park services just north on the M6 has x2 rapids north and south. At northbound today, one charger was switched off and the other wouldn't accept the RFID.

I would agree that Birmingham area is EV friendly - I even slow charged the Ampera at Hopwood services on the M42 the other day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've used the ikea charger twice the first time there was a outlander already there charging and i pulled up to the other bay, second time i was there monday morning and both bays were empty but when i came out there was another outlander just started charging. I've never seen an outlander on the road but seem to see them charging a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts