Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am right, Ecotricity have the monopoly at Norton Canes and Frankley. Hilton Park has an Ecotricity and a Tesla Supercharger. Looking at travelling round the eastern M42 before heading up the M6 there isn’t anything just off the motorway which doesn’t involve a convoluted detour. Or am I missing something? The big Tesco site at Solihull has been a good stop off when I drove an ICE and could benefit from a few ultra rapids. Anybody know if anything is coming in that area?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
Ecotricity provide the chargers at all motorway services in the UK. They are the big name and you shouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

The services with BP forecourts are adding Polar chargers however. These are typically away from the main building and are inside the fuel station area instead.

Generally there is always either a Polar ultracharge unit at a hotel just off the motorway somewhere, or failing that there'll be an Instavolt charger or two somewhere like a KFC, Leisure centre or similar, again often less than a mile detour from a motorway junction.

Tesco have an agreement with Pod Point for charging. Generally this is just 7kW AC however. They don't have a great interest in rapid charging but a few locations with no other options in the area have added a single 50kW unit. I wouldn't count on it happening somewhere like Birmingham.

Is there a reason why you're not happy to use Ecotricity? As I mentioned in a thread I started a day or two ago, their reliability appears to be greatly improved now, even with CCS and I've not had any failures recently at all.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,981 Posts
If I am right, Ecotricity have the monopoly at Norton Canes and Frankley. Hilton Park has an Ecotricity and a Tesla Supercharger. Looking at travelling round the eastern M42 before heading up the M6 there isn’t anything just off the motorway which doesn’t involve a convoluted detour. Or am I missing something? The big Tesco site at Solihull has been a good stop off when I drove an ICE and could benefit from a few ultra rapids. Anybody know if anything is coming in that area?
Ecotricity have Corley services locked up too.
A quick look at Zap-Map shows (From East to West):-
  • An Instavolt at this garage in Bedworth
  • A dual 150kW E.On charger directly under Spaghetti Junction at the Spar/Esso station but it's 43p/kW
  • A Geniepoint 50kW at a BP station just south of M6 J7, but it's on the Northbound side of a dual carriageway so you'd have to loop round to it.
  • An Engenie 50kW at the Chestnut Tree pub next to Ikea, just off M6 J9
  • A 50kW Shell Recharge at their station on the A5 at Cannock (If you're taking the M6T North, leave at the exit after Norton Canes & follow the A5 through Cannock)
  • An Instavolt at Penkridge Co-Op (if you want a meal stop, there's an Indian, a Chinese & a chippy there too)
All chargers listed have google maps links embedded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ecotricity have Corley services locked up too.
A quick look at Zap-Map shows (From East to West):-
  • An Instavolt at this garage in Bedworth
  • A dual 150kW E.On charger directly under Spaghetti Junction at the Spar/Esso station but it's 43p/kW
  • A Geniepoint 50kW at a BP station just south of M6 J7, but it's on the Northbound side of a dual carriageway so you'd have to loop round to it.
  • An Engenie 50kW at the Chestnut Tree pub next to Ikea, just off M6 J9
  • A 50kW Shell Recharge at their station on the A5 at Cannock (If you're taking the M6T North, leave at the exit after Norton Canes & follow the A5 through Cannock)
  • An Instavolt at Penkridge Co-Op (if you want a meal stop, there's an Indian, a Chinese & a chippy there too)
All chargers listed have google maps links embedded.
Thanks for your responses, good to have some local knowledge. I’ve travelled the route hundreds of times but not in the last few years. I found myself at Waitrose in Lichfield a few years ago with a rapid charger there, but that is kaput. There was one at the M40 Longbridge junction too but although google maps indicates it’s there it is no longer on the Polar web site. I am planning a trip from Alton (Hants) to Scotland and looking to get north of Perth or maybe Oban in the day in my newly acquired MG ZS!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,981 Posts
Thanks for your responses, good to have some local knowledge.
I'm not local, but I have friends in the Black Country and points East, so I travelled through there often, before the plague.
As a new EV driver myself (Zoe ZE50), I therefore had cause to look into charging options in the region.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts