Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's marketing for you. Maybe ecotricity should hold an event every time a rapid is installed. They'd soon run out of tape and dodgy celebs to open them.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably easier to get dodgy celebs to come to a swanky hotel rather than a motorway service station

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That hotel is an enigma. Really swanky (or used to be) in the non-swanky end of town. It's a bit of a faff to get to as well...

·
Super Moderator
7,454 Posts
It seems like Tesla's supercharger strategy for the UK is in tatters since they tried to stab Ecotricity in the back.
Well they've still put in more rapid chargers than:
Mitsubishi
Volkswagen
Peugeot
Citroen
Renault

and probably some others I can't think of, so I don't think they're doing too badly. Mitsubishi are probably the worst offenders there, they've had a chademo capable car (whose battery doesn't seem phased at all by multiple rapid charges per day) on the road here since 2009. If I could say 2009 in caps I would!

Reactions: Parax

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hardly an inspiring comparison. Motorway sites are the best, most convenient sites for superchargers and it seems that Tesla are locked out of those unless they do a deal with Ecotricity.

Mitsubishi
Volkswagen
Peugeot
Citroen
Renault

and probably some others I can't think of, so I don't think they're doing too badly. Mitsubishi are probably the worst offenders there, they've had a chademo capable car (whose battery doesn't seem phased at all by multiple rapid charges per day) on the road here since 2009. If I could say 2009 in caps I would!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hardly an inspiring comparison. Motorway sites are the best, most convenient sites for superchargers and it seems that Tesla are locked out of those unless they do a deal with Ecotricity.
This has nothing to do with ecotricity, at the launch Elon stated that they had not considered inner cites until visiting the UK and China where there are a lot of people with no charging at home. This I believe is part of that rollout, can you really imagine someone with no charging heading out to the motorway for 4 hours each week to charge ?

Its just happens to be easier to do this now while they sort out things with ecotricity

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Mitsubishi
Volkswagen
Peugeot
Citroen
Renault

Didn't somebody say recently that Renault were part-funding the rapids, along with Nissan? (Though I think they may have stopped now). The fact that the AC/DC rapids have the Renault logo on, along with Nissan's, would seem to indicate this.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I can't imagine many UK Tesla owners will have no charging facilities at home. More likely they will need on-route charging rather than a charger near where they live.

This has nothing to do with ecotricity, at the launch Elon stated that they had not considered inner cites until visiting the UK and China where there are a lot of people with no charging at home. This I believe is part of that rollout, can you really imagine someone with no charging heading out to the motorway for 4 hours each week to charge ?

Its just happens to be easier to do this now while they sort out things with ecotricity

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't imagine many UK Tesla owners will have no charging facilities at home. More likely they will need on-route charging rather than a charger near where they live.
Lots of people in parts of london (think Notting hill, Knightsbridge etc) with no off street parking and the ability to buy one

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes Bjorn over there in Norway has no home charging from what I can tell so must rely on a local super charger, the entry level Model S is 50K there are plenty of people that can afford that but have no off road parking, you should see some of the cottages in villages near me many worth over 300K with some very nice cars parked on the road outside.

·
Super Moderator
7,454 Posts
Lots of people in parts of london (think Notting hill, Knightsbridge etc) with no off street parking and the ability to buy one
Yup, and once the model 3 is out there will be a LOT of people in cities or large towns who can afford one but don't neccesarily have dedicated parking (or landlords interested in helping out)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Possibly, but Canary Wharf or West Drayton aren't exactly convenient for them either (unless they get their driver to go and charge the car for them!)

·
Super Moderator
7,454 Posts
Possibly, but Canary Wharf or West Drayton aren't exactly convenient for them either (unless they get their driver to go and charge the car for them!)
Plenty of people working in canary wharf will be in the ~£50k salary range. They can spend £k's a year on train tickets, or £3k a year in congestion charging, plus ~£1,500 a year for BIK tax on a small car, plus parking, plus fuel, or get a Model S and for now pay nothing on BIK, nothing on trains, nothing on fuel and just parking. Sounds attractive to me...!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Most will have home charging available.

Train tickets from most London travel card zones are around £2k p.a. (zone 6, less for the other zones).

BIK tax for a £55k Model S (assuming most don't go for the base spec with no supercharging) will be £1200k p.a. (for a 40% rate taxpayer, BIK based on full list price with no reduction for the £5k subsidy) from next April rising to £3120 from April 2018. Plus parking at around £20 per day minimum so another £4400 on top.

That's assuming they have a company car allowance and it stretches to Model S levels in the first place.

As an alternative to an equivalently priced ICE, the Model S makes financial sense as a company car, but not as an alternative to taking public transport in most cases.

Plenty of people working in canary wharf will be in the ~£50k salary range. They can spend £k's a year on train tickets, or £3k a year in congestion charging, plus ~£1,500 a year for BIK tax on a small car, plus parking, plus fuel, or get a Model S and for now pay nothing on BIK, nothing on trains, nothing on fuel and just parking. Sounds attractive to me...!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you can get a years parking for EVs in canary wharf for £200 a year with 13amp socket per bay

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
will get more details when I renew mine next week, last year I just went to car park operations with my V5 and they set me up an account

1 - 20 of 39 Posts