Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
State of the art 1958 and 2017
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering taking my new N-Connecta to Fort William for our 1 week holiday in a couple of weeks. Any tips for charging, eco mode (which I never really consider). Zap Map tells me it is 398 miles, their route planner wants me to charge 4 or 5 times. ABRP crashed completely after telling me it would take 21 hours and about 15 chargeso_O. I will be taking my granny cable of course;)

Thanks folks:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds a great EV adventure. Assuming you have an Ecotricity account for rapid charging at motorway services, I'd take a 20m extension cable so you can use your granny cable to charge anywhere overnight if needed. Just make sure you fully unwind it so it can cool properly.

Tebay Northbound services is a great stop, just North of Kendal. Nice coffee! The Leaf connectors are on the North bound side, but there is access via a back road to use them when you're heading South.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow, exciting. I’m taking my ev to Balmoral from redditch this summer also, so like you, I’m checking the charging points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I highly recommend booking a stop half way and doing it over two days. The Leaf battery will get really hot after a couple of rapid charges and continuous driving. 400 miles in one day is close to impossible.

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we plan to do an overnight stop at Penrith and if possible get a slow charge there on my granny cable, then when we get to our holiday cottage charge by granny every night. So I would possibly only do 2 rapids on the way up and 2 on the way back.:cool:. Not looking to boil the battery! Don't really want to go in an ICE

All good advice very helpful thanks folks:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am seriously considering taking my new N-Connecta to Fort William for our 1 week holiday in a couple of weeks. Any tips for charging, eco mode (which I never really consider). Zap Map tells me it is 398 miles, their route planner wants me to charge 4 or 5 times. ABRP crashed completely after telling me it would take 21 hours and about 15 chargeso_O. I will be taking my granny cable of course;)

Thanks folks:cool:
Hope you have a great holiday but remember your raincoats - Fort William is often the wettest place in the country! Also when planning your charging stops, take into account the heights you will be climbing and not just the distances.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We did Surrey to Edinburgh (415 miles) in our 30kWh Tekna on a 4 stop strategy at new year.
Battery got to 8bars.

Although you plan a stop, I think you could do that journey in one go in a 40kWh without significant #rapidgate, on 3 stops, or 4 shorter stops (say to 70%) and sensible (65mph) driving.

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I think this has to be for another time!:( There are 6 of us going and possibly 4 vehicles so it could be a bit tight on parking, also it does not seem that we can get close to the property for charging:(. I have a 5 metre granny cable and another 10 metre extension. What I enjoyed and have been fortunate to get in my Zoe has been end to end charging:). Go to bed and wake up to a full battery. Two of the holiday properties we stopped in allowed free charging, this really brings EV ing right up to date:cool:. So it'll be a hybrid from the car club for this trip. The last one of these I drove was about 18 years ago and was the Honda Insight:eek:.

The other issue here is the Holiday Letting Agencies, who do not understand our cars, so they get excited about electric costs etc, want to talk to the owners, who may not understand eithero_O. My wife had a bit of this when she enquired before:alien:. Snowdonia is an enlightened place so we will be going there. What we have to do with the booking agencies is get them on board. "You do have onsite charging facilities, don't you??" "No, well we can't stay there then!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts