Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally received my public charging cable last week and decided I would give it a try today at my local Asda where there are Chargemaster points. After having to wait for a space, all four filled with IC cars, I pulled in, cable out of the box and duly plugged it into the car first then went to the charging point. Card was recognised and I waited for the type 2 door to release. Opened it and plugged cable in. Lights did not change and being the Type 2 the door would not close. The instructions I have from Chargemaster only cover the standard 13 amp plug which instructs you to close the door firmly to start charging which I couldn't do with the Type 2 plug. Back home and I have now had a look at a couple of YouTube clips, not Chargemaster, which show presenting the card a second time to the reader to lock the cable in place and start the charging, then when you are finished to place the card again at the reader to release the cable. Can anyone confirm what the actual process is for public charging via the Type 2 cable?

I did get a bit of verbal when I pointed out that the spaces were there to allow EV cars to be recharged whilst in shopping.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
All I do is put the cable in to the car, open the door on the post by presenting my card, I plug the other end of the cable in to the post, and in 10sec it will go green,

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The chargemaster posts are similar to most of the type 2 posts...

make sure car is in immediate charge mode (override)
present card to get 10 sec countdown
wait 10 secs until arrow points to type 2 door then present card again to open type 2 door
plug into car and socket... doesn't matter which order
car should start charging... takes a few seconds. If not then is car in immediate charge mode?

You cannot close the door with type 2 with it plugged in... that is for 13A only :)

You do not need to present the card to lock the cable. It locks automatically when it starts charging.

When you have finished you just present the card and it stops charging and the cable lock is released.

I always get verbal when mentioning anything to ICE drivers regardless of how nicely I put it. I never bother now. They will learn in time but in the meantime we have to just accept that it is difficult for them to see what all the fuss is about.... if the bay is not clearly signed and marked as EV ONLY then we are on a sticky wicket insisting they should be kept clear for EVs anyway. Unfortunately, charging station owners haven't yet twigged that it is important they are available to use or else their efforts installing the charging is pointless.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I always plug into the post first and the car second, I'm not convinced that it works the other way round (not that I've tried it the other way round for a while).

The other thing to watch for though, I found when I first got my ZCW cable that when new it was quite a tight push fit into the car, so it was easily possible to think it was plugged in when it wasn't. Give the cable a good solid push into the socket if it doesn't seem to be working.

Reactions: zoe'd

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Duncan said:
I always plug into the post first and the car second, I'm not convinced that it works the other way round (not that I've tried it the other way round for a while).

The other thing to watch for though, I found when I first got my ZCW cable that when new it was quite a tight push fit into the car, so it was easily possible to think it was plugged in when it wasn't. Give the cable a good solid push into the socket if it doesn't seem to be working.
I totally agree with checking the plugs are fully home. As long as you push it in straight and not at an angle you can be quite firm.

I never really worry which one I plug in first and I haven't had any problems but if it works for Duncan doing the post first then at least that way we know does work.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I have had a lot of times when I had to unplug car end and push back in with a bit more welly!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gave Chargemaster a call today to check that I was carrying out the correct procedure when trying to charge at Asda in Perth. It seemed strange to me that they did not know that there was a Type 2 socket where I was trying to charge or at least that was the impression given as I was told that the door does need to be closed to allow charging to commence and that he would investigate and call me back, I mentioned the other Asda that I may use (Forfar) and he is going to check that for me too. I have seen a Leaf charging there but never seen the owner to ask them how they got on using it. Paul perhaps you could tell me if the Leaf can use a Type 2 cable or could this car have been plugged into the 13 amp socket? I was not close enough to find out but if I see the car there again before I get a reply from Chargemaster I might just try and hang around for the owner. The instruction leaflet that I received with the card from Chargemaster only covers the 13 amp socket and advises that the cover has to be closed to allow the charging to commence.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The Nissan Leaf, Ampera/Volt, i-Miev, I-on and a few others all have the same AC charge socket... it is a type 1 J1772 and as the communiacations between the car and socket are the same between the J1772 and type 2 they can all use the type 2 sockets with that cable.

So yes, I have a type 2 cable and that is generally the only cable I use away from home with either car. The 10A EVSE cables that came with the cars are really only a backup in case the type 2 socket doesn't work or if I can't find one. To be honest, I hardly ever use the 10A cables now but I wouldn't want to be without them just in case.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The instruction leaflet that I received with the card from Chargemaster only covers the 13 amp socket and advises that the cover has to be closed to allow the charging to commence.
This is true for 13A sockets on public charging posts. This is to ensure that the plug cannot be pulled out while charging. On the type 2 socket this is achieved by the plug being locked into the socket as you cannot close the door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts