Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had nothing but problems with charging the Outlander since purchase. The latest developed today. Anyone else seen / this...

If I plug in via either my home Polar charger or the supplied charging brick both devices show as the car taking a charge e.g. flashing charge light on the brick and solid green light on the Polar, but the red charging indicator on the left hand dial doesn't light in the car. Its not just a lamp fault as leaving it for 2+ hours added zero to the battery level.

Now the weird part. If I switch the car to either the orange or green ignition, every works as normal. The charging lamp comes on and the battery level rises. Clearly I can't leave the car running every time I need to charge. Head scratcher.

Super Moderator
Are there some charge timers on the car?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there some charge timers on the car?
Funny you mentioned the timer. I can't pin all my problems on the timer, but its looking mighty suspicious. The charger timer had one day active (Monday). I cleared it down and also took the car for a short drive (dealer advised this helps reset it) - now its charging ok.

Has anyone had problems with the timer?

Registered
Nothing untoward here... used all methods of charging including the timers daily as on economy 7 and not had any issues. Sorry I can't help.

Registered
I've had nothing but problems with charging the Outlander since purchase. The latest developed today. Anyone else seen / this...

If I plug in via either my home Polar charger or the supplied charging brick both devices show as the car taking a charge e.g. flashing charge light on the brick and solid green light on the Polar, but the red charging indicator on the left hand dial doesn't light in the car. Its not just a lamp fault as leaving it for 2+ hours added zero to the battery level.

Now the weird part. If I switch the car to either the orange or green ignition, every works as normal. The charging lamp comes on and the battery level rises. Clearly I can't leave the car running every time I need to charge. Head scratcher.
I've had no charging problems with the GX3h. I turn it off, plug in and it charges.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm back up and working. The BG contractor replaced the Polar unit (said they can't open them up, they just replace) and after an initial wobble - the car seems to have settled down and we have charged correctly over the weekend. I'm hoping this draws a line under the teething problems!

Reactions: John2

Registered
If I plug in via either my home Polar charger or the supplied charging brick both devices show as the car taking a charge e.g. flashing charge light on the brick and solid green light on the Polar, but the red charging indicator on the left hand dial doesn't light in the car. .

On my Outlander brick, the green charge light is steady if charging and blinks when the charge is complete ...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

On my Outlander brick, the green charge light is steady if charging and blinks when the charge is complete ...
Yep - what was weird was by Outlander brick blinked indicating the car battery was full, yet the battery wasn't taking a charge. Seems to have righted itself now.

Registered

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. Then last week I forgot to switch the car off when I had finished charging. Left the car on ACC for three days and drained the auxiliary battery. I had to jump-start it from another car. The car had lost some settings (but not others). Bizarrely, it now charges correctly.
Anyone any ideas?

Registered

James,
I have had this on occasion using the brick.
Plugged in, lights show charging yet 4 hours later no charge.....the other day is had 5+ hours charging and only got 14 mile range.........
Next day it fully charged and got the normal 25 mile range on a full charge.
Also noticed that if you turn off the charger when it starts to flash you can get a higher range than if you just leave it flashing for a couple of extra hours........
My issue is still trying to get more than 65% actual range from the full charge range on the display!
On petrol only we are averaging 29.6 miles combined.

Registered
I've had an Outlander PHEV for two weeks now. I use the car to travel to work on a monday, about 130 miles. During the week I stay about 10 miles from work and charge the car every night. Over the weekend, we had a power cut, now it may be coincidence but the charge wasn't completed when we had the power cut. I put the charger back in and had the same effect as about, the charge light was on both the dash and the charger but the car wasn't taking any charge. I've driven it today and everything seems fine, normal consumption on battery and petrol. The strange thing that I notice though was even though the charge light was lit on both the car didn't recognise the charger was in so I could actually start the car. Has anyone else seen this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts