Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
375 Posts
2nd charge peaked at 75Kw, I'm guessing 13 hours for the whole trip and Bjorn's saying 13.5

·
Registered
Ioniq
701 Posts
So how come people here have been struggling to get much more than 35kw or so? Is it purely temperature for the first charge?

(How common is rapid charging more than once on a single trip? I don't think I've ever done it...)

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
375 Posts

Graph of the first 2 stops.

He drove quite fast towards the end of the 2nd leg to warm the battery up

·
Zoe Devotee
9,447 Posts
Peaked at 75kW, in Norway... impossible say the naysayers. Seems almost all cars suffer from #coldgate at the beginning. Some for their whole trip. I've a feeling the ZS EV will be quicker than the bigger packed Leaf 60 thanks to no rapid gate and reduced effects of coldgate over a long trip. Probably beat the Zoe ZE50 based on charging speeds (but It will probably stop more times). One to beat though is the 28kWh Ionic which is the fastest lower priced Car.

·
Registered
Ioniq
701 Posts
Peaked at 75kW, in Norway... impossible say the naysayers.
I just don't understand how it ties up with the various reports of slow charging in what should be good conditions reported a few times on your thread. It's like there are two versions, one that is happy up to 70-something kw once warmed up, and one that just never seems to get much above 35 whatever you do...

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
View attachment 127378

Graph of the first 2 stops.

He drove quite fast towards the end of the 2nd leg to warm the battery up

To me that looks like it near enough averages out at 50kw anyway despite the initial peak...

The leaf would be a good one if he started with a colder full battery in the same weather as he wouldn't rapidgate as hard and would make it on 3 charges easily.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
375 Posts
Haven't been able to get more charging data as the screens haven't been visible, looks like it's broken down now maybe the 12v battery is flat which makes no sense when its been driving for 6 hours straight

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,596 Posts
Haven't been able to get more charging data as the screens haven't been visible, looks like it's broken down now maybe the 12v battery is flat which makes no sense when its been driving for 6 hours straight
Haven't been able to watch yet (at work). Has he said if it's his own car or a dealership loaner?
If it's a dealer car that's been out on short test drives all the time, maybe the 12V wasn't in good shape to begin with?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Haven't been able to watch yet (at work). Has he said if it's his own car or a dealership loaner?
If it's a dealer car that's been out on short test drives all the time, maybe the 12V wasn't in good shape to begin with?
Ditto, not seen it but it's a LHD Norwegian model so is a dealership loaner unlike his Thai RHD blue one.

He also did punish the 12v the previous day with a pre-heat-attempt whilst plugged in that failed.

That said - i would think that ~6+ hours on the road would be plenty for the 12v.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,447 Posts
I just don't understand how it ties up with the various reports of slow charging in what should be good conditions reported a few times on your thread. It's like there are two versions, one that is happy up to 70-something kw once warmed up, and one that just never seems to get much above 35 whatever you do...

I think the problem is first charge is generally slow because the MG takes its good time to warm up. Plus it seems a lot of those charging really are not doing it from a particularly low SOC or haven't driven far (car sitting overnight at lower SOC) before the first rapid. If the average over a charge works out at 50kW then that'll be good, seeing as some cars are averaging mid 30's over a charge.

Be interesting how it all ends considering the fault I hear he's had, Maybe he sat running the heater without the car on, this works but will apparently give a battery lock out after a while? But trying to restart a few times might resolve it (maybe it kicks the DC-DC into action). Not sure, but i'm sure it's been seen before.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
375 Posts
Well he managed to get on the move again not sure if it was the 12V battery or not he unplugged some lead on the battery and then put it back in and shortly after it started to charge. Apparently the ionity charger was trying to do a handshake for ages so he wasn't sure if it was the car or the charger that then caused some issue with the car.

After that 30 minute wait his charging speed wasn't as quick as the second charge think it peaked at around 63kW I've not graphed it as we didn't see all the numbers, I've added partial details of the third stop where the screen wasn't visible and the 6th or 7th stop, lost count a bit where it started at 50Kw and he moved after 25% and the rate jumped up to the 2nd stops curve

I

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
375 Posts
No idea what's going on there I think he said the battery cooling was on about half way through maybe it can only get rid of so much heat or maybe the BMS is conservative

Updated the graph and got rid of the 3rd stop 6th was actually the 7th

1 - 20 of 81 Posts