Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head says go for Black, my heart says go for White.
We all know the problems with shiny piano black.
The white steering wheel looks so beautiful (IMO), but we know it's not gonna stay white (or will it?), with a bit of TLC.
I think other main touch area is the inside door handles (where the window switches are) is piano black or a satin white (I touched it, it is not glossy white).
So, if I was to hate piano black that much, then white has to be the answer.
It's the long term I'm worried about, a white and brown steering wheel? I will have to swap it before selling ...
Does anyone have a VW with a white steering wheels that is several years old?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Given the choice.....I would definately choose that white trim. I had a look inside all the ID3 models at last years Frankfurt Motor Show. I did not see any car with a total black interior, all had variations of dark grey and/or white plastic trim for the screens. My favourite at that time was the white interior with orange trim accents. Made the interior look bright and airy, plus the cheap plastics looked a bit more premium in a lighter colour.

I had a sit inside a right hand drive ID3 at my local VW dealer a few days ago,which had a white interior ( white steering wheel and white drivers display plus sat nav screen ) and It looked fabulous in my opinion and gave the car a very futuristic high tech feel. Driving home in my Nissan Leaf with the scratchy black interior was like stepping into a coal mine ! .

I am also very impressed with the build quality of the RHD ID3 that I saw a few days ago, much better than the ( admittedly pre production ) cars I saw at last years Frankfurt show.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I personally try and avoid 'wackiness' in cars and would choose a traditional car look. There is a tendency to make EVs more space age and out there which is off putting to me.
I would go black/grey.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just to add, I also saw all the body colours at the Frankfurt Show. Not sure if you have made a choice for body colour. White looked good and also the light blue. One further comment to make about black car interiors, to help you in your choice, when furnishing living rooms we usually do not buy black sofa‘s then paint the walls in a matching black ? No, we choose lighter colours to highlight space and airiness. The same concept can apply to car interiors. So be brave, choose that lighter interior. At least in my humble opinion ! .

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you have a look on YouTube Chris from Battery Life has chosen the white interior. My hunch is that in the future, when the cars hit the secondhand market, the white interior might become sought after. We will see...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well mine will come with the white and orange. That was a deliberate choice. I was hoping to get away from piano black inside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just to add, I also saw all the body colours at the Frankfurt Show. Not sure if you have made a choice for body colour. White looked good and also the light blue. One further comment to make about black car interiors, to help you in your choice, when furnishing living rooms we usually do not buy black sofa‘s then paint the walls in a matching black ? No, we choose lighter colours to highlight space and airiness. The same concept can apply to car interiors. So be brave, choose that lighter interior. At least in my humble opinion ! .
If the living room scenario was accurate I think we would have had magnolia dashboards and aubergine steering wheels some time ago😉

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,663 Posts
If the living room scenario was accurate I think we would have had magnolia dashboards and aubergine steering wheels some time ago😉
Sadly it is not. If it was, you would be walking in your living room with all sort of dirt clothes/shoes and bumping into everything as it is all cramped. :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a look on YouTube Chris from Battery Life has chosen the white interior. My hunch is that in the future, when the cars hit the secondhand market, the white interior might become sought after. We will see...
That is what I'm worried about. Will it still be white...
Common sense dictates it wont...
Only time will tell...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,663 Posts
That is what I'm worried about. Will it still be white...
Common sense dictates it wont...
Only time will tell...
It's not only the colour, is it? How about wear?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not only the colour, is it? How about wear?
From what I can tell, piano black is not going to survive scratches well, whereas the satin white door handles and gear selector probably will look ok after a simple clean.
However, both the steering wheel colours, I would imagine, are made from the same material the only difference being the dye. So, it should wear the same?
I think white is winning the battle (for me).

·
Registered
252 Posts
So far I am happy with my colour selection, the white is actually matt - the screen surround, etc. I am wondering how the steering wheel will cope after a UK-winter. So we shall see. I'm sure a weekly cleaning wipe will suffice mostly.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I suspect it won't be the fabric of the steering wheel that starts to look shabby, it'll be the white stitching.

I also wonder how well the raised edge of the drivers seat will hold up, I find myself sitting on it particularly when I get out of the car, not so bad getting in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts