Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new 40kwh Tekna today, an hour later after returning to the car, the centre screen did not come on. Turned off car, locked tried again, same thing, pressed every button known to man, still as dark as the night. Back to dealer, no radio, no maps, no cameras etc, several technicians and calls to Nissan, nobody has heard of this, has this happened to anyone out there? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,445 Posts
Check the user guide in case there is some way of turning off the screen or turning the brightness right down as you may need to guess where the touch screen buttons are to get it back again.

I'd take out the SD card altogether. Normally the head units then complain there is no SD card. Also unplug any USB devices plugged in anywhere.

I wouldn't be very impressed with a brand new car behaving like this at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up a new 40kwh Tekna today, an hour later after returning to the car, the centre screen did not come on. Turned off car, locked tried again, same thing, pressed every button known to man, still as dark as the night. Back to dealer, no radio, no maps, no cameras etc, several technicians and calls to Nissan, nobody has heard of this, has this happened to anyone out there? Cheers.
UPDATE: Thank you for all you replies, I've googled this overnight and can't find it happening either. The dealer had the unit out, power is going to it and power is getting to the on/off switch but that's as much as they can tell. It actually died on the Nag screen at start up, with out accepting that you can't progress, so my thinking is its the boot sector of the drive that has failed.

Nissan UK want the unit back to investigate, so they have dispatched a new one, hopefully Wednesday, I don't think they have heard of 24 hour couriers! In the meantime the dealer has leant me a petrol car, so not used to using that pedal on the left, I think its called the brake. Just to rub salt into the wound, as they were handing over the keys to the ICE, they drove my old 30kw Tekna past me off to its photo shoot, that one never let me down!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same has just happened to my 2020 car, the screen was fine this afternoon, but tonight, completely blank. I suppose it's phone the dealer in the morning, problem is, they are 60 miles away from us here in North Wales.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Switched on my 2020 40kWh Leaf N-Connecta Leaf this afternoon and was greated with a blank centre display. Rebooting the car had no useful effect. Everything else appears to be working fine. Does anyone have any ideas or is it a case of handing it to the dealers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The plot thickens. Just went out to the car and powered it up. Display is now working fine! Loose electrical connection? Software bug? Mid software update? I guess it will be 'interesting' to see what happens over the next few days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've driven the car over the last few days and the blank display issue has not reoccurred. Fingers crossed it was a one off (software 'feature' ?) and it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Nissan Leaf 9 month old. No issue until now. Had same issue yesterday. Suddenly screen blank but car running ok.
I thought this as a computer issue with crap old windows 98 kind of software.
so switched off car and then restarted it. No use.
Then I switched off again. This time connected to EV charging cable and charges for 2-3 minutes. Disconnected it and restarted the car.
everything is fine and working.
seems like a software bug.
These car companies are not like Tesla which is technology company making car.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
My 2020 Leaf's touch screen would very occasionally reboot a few miles from home. It always came on to begin with, but I never did find a reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just found this forum after googled for this issue. Similar situation. Have my Leaf for 3 months and today after switching from rear to drive mode, the display went blank without returning back.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Just found this forum after googled for this issue. Similar situation. Have my Leaf for 3 months and today after switching from rear to drive mode, the display went blank without returning back.
Did it return after you shut down the car, locked it and then unlocked?

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I tried that right after it occurred without improvement. I'm letting the car closed for some time and try again later. To give some time to fully discharge any residual energy in the electronics
If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the 12v battery -ve for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just to state the obvious - the infotainment screen can be turned off by pressing and holding the day/night button. It’s turned back on the same way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the 12v battery -ve for a couple of hours.
Today the screen was showing the picture. My guess was some EMC discharge and screen went into some protection mode. After all the residual energy consumed, it starts to work. Removing the battery connection would make the same effect. Bad or poor grounding of the display screen, in my opinion. I will start a complain and post here the outcome. One day it might not turn back on. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts