Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm an ashamed diesel driver, threatening to lease an EV. I have thought about little else for months and my wife is sick of listening to it.

I used to commute 400 motorway miles per week but not anymore, and I cannot justify, nor live without guilt, pushing a 2.0 TDI past pedestrians.

Spinning around town is the usual form, but 3 or 4 trips to 150 mile-away destinations per year make the e niro the most appealing car in my price range. I tested one the other week and, coming from a Skoda Octavia estate, I was disappointingly underwhelmed with the boot space. I suspect, though, that coming from a 650L boot, I'll be underwhelmed by anything.

I then decided I would wait to see what happens with the Enyaq, but sure life's too short.

Ultimately, I still think I'll suck it up and get the e niro but I can't commit.
Thanks for listening. What's that? 10 Hail Marys and a decade of the rosary?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tom. Yes, I have and, coming from an estate car, it was a real contender. The boot space is great and the Exclusive is a great spec, but I was put off by the apparently laggy infotainment and the new MG being a new, untested brand, on these shores anyway.

What clinched it, though, was that there doesn't appear to be a great difference in lease prices between the Kia and the MG. If I was buying, it would be difficult to justify spending an extra 10k on the E Niro 3.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The Enyaq is only a few months away so probably worth waiting for if you're not in a desperate hurry. If the lease rates of the related ID3 are anything to go by, it could be very reasonable. It's the only thing that will be remotely close to not feeling disappointing for boot space coming from an octavia. The VW ID4 must also be considered against the enyaq, although personally I think the skoda interior looks much nicer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Enyaq is only a few months away so probably worth waiting for if you're not in a desperate hurry. If the lease rates of the related ID3 are anything to go by, it could be very reasonable. It's the only thing that will be remotely close to not feeling disappointing for boot space coming from an octavia. The VW ID4 must also be considered against the enyaq, although personally I think the skoda interior looks much nicer.
Yes, the Enyaq is definitely the preferred choice. I assumed that it would be June or so before delivery. The ID3 rates are reasonable, as you say, so if the Enyaq rates are similar and we're looking at March or April then that'd be grand. Do we know yet when people will be receiving the Enyaq or is it still 'early 2021'?

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,812 Posts
Yes, the Enyaq is definitely the preferred choice. I assumed that it would be June or so before delivery. The ID3 rates are reasonable, as you say, so if the Enyaq rates are similar and we're looking at March or April then that'd be grand. Do we know yet when people will be receiving the Enyaq or is it still 'early 2021'?
Skoda U.K. website states... Available to order in the UK early 2021 and for delivery from spring 2021, starting at £33,450 (excluding UK Plug-in Car Grant).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. I'm an ashamed diesel driver, threatening to lease an EV. I have thought about little else for months and my wife is sick of listening to it.

I used to commute 400 motorway miles per week but not anymore, and I cannot justify, nor live without guilt, pushing a 2.0 TDI past pedestrians.

Spinning around town is the usual form, but 3 or 4 trips to 150 mile-away destinations per year make the e niro the most appealing car in my price range. I tested one the other week and, coming from a Skoda Octavia estate, I was disappointingly underwhelmed with the boot space. I suspect, though, that coming from a 650L boot, I'll be underwhelmed by anything.

I then decided I would wait to see what happens with the Enyaq, but sure life's too short.

Ultimately, I still think I'll suck it up and get the e niro but I can't commit.
Thanks for listening. What's that? 10 Hail Marys and a decade of the rosary?
A 2 litre diesel...? Definitely 4 decades of the rosary! ;) I jumped to a little Renault Zoe last year and find that you have to 'shift' how you think about distances/charging points but then I live in the west of Ireland so charging points are definitely still an issue around here! Just go for it. You'll even get to feel virtuous ;-)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
940 Posts
I too came from an Octavia (old model) and bought an e-Niro. True, the boot is quite a lot smaller than the Octavia's, which is cavernous. However, when folding away the rear seats, it gets a lot better. I also find the storage space under the boot floor handy for e.g. hiking poles, umbrella, charging cables etc. And moreover: how man times do you really need such a humongous boot anyway? ;)

I am very content with the e-Niro but confess: if I had to decide now, I would wait for the Enyaq and do at least a test drive in it. I am afraid though that to get the Enyaq up to the level of equipment of the e-Niro you're going to have to spend quite some money extra.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
811 Posts
Very interesting. I suppose that further undermines the credibility of this brand.
There are many MG ZS EV drivers happy with their cars. There have been issues with the charging software, but other brands have too! MG or SAIC build over 300k EVs a year, second only to Tesla. The motoring press were originally as sniffy as the above post, but not any more. The MG offer good vfm and there are cars reported to have done over 20k miles without issue. Look at the posts in the MG section.
More than that as budget motoring they offer a cheaper means of rapid EV adoption and we should be pleased with that. If only we could get building them in the UK! The motor industry is no longer labour intensive and we have the skills to design cars in the UK (much of the MG design is at Longbridge at the original site).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.